XLN RC-20 Retro Color

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
RC-20 Retro Color

J4R1O wrote:I just remembered that XLN has the most annoying installation procedure ever. Skipped.
This is so true. Didn't believe that before tried to instal the demo. I must say...have about 300 plugins, 12 years with the project studio and DAW, rarely seen such a stupidity than the XLN installation procedure. Potential yes turned to no no. :party:

WHile I can have some empathy for those with a no-internet DAW I am sure the guys at XLN made market research and determined that they could go ahead with their installer without loosing too much bussiness.

I am annoyed at the liberty developers take to make folders wherever they want and the imposibility to move them, but XLN is not alone in this. My Documents folder in windows is such a mess beacuse of this.
dedication to flying

rod_zero wrote:WHile I can have some empathy for those with a no-internet DAW I am sure the guys at XLN made market research and determined that they could go ahead with their installer without loosing too much bussiness.
I assume you're ironically ... good market research is quite expensive and I'm sure developers like XLN do some guess working and see how far they can go with user control. That makes it so important to raise the voice and complain about this.

dreamvoid wrote:
rod_zero wrote:WHile I can have some empathy for those with a no-internet DAW I am sure the guys at XLN made market research and determined that they could go ahead with their installer without loosing too much bussiness.
I assume you're ironically ... good market research is quite expensive and I'm sure developers like XLN do some guess working and see how far they can go with user control. That makes it so important to raise the voice and complain about this.

They have the data of their users, they probably know how many are online /offline. Maybe there is a separate marketing company which can sell you data and market profile without making research.

Personally I like the installer, specially for a product as their main one (sample libraries). I also like the sound and small size (compared to other options).

In fact for me online installation is very important since I am outside the US and EU, some years back I couldn't think of getting komplete because of the need to ship it and pay extra fees for that.
dedication to flying

I've come to accept death. Err... I mean, I've come to accept software copy protection, dongles and the myriad of installers.

rod_zero wrote: In fact for me online installation is very important since I am outside the US and EU, some years back I couldn't think of getting komplete because of the need to ship it and pay extra fees for that.
It is NOT about online installers or not - i'm totally fine with that. It is all about the exclusion of offline install possibilities what we're complaining about. Take Flux as a good example: online installer - but also you can compile an installer for offline use on computers with no internet connection. That's how it should be done.

rod_zero wrote:
dreamvoid wrote:

They have the data of their users, they probably know how many are online /offline. Maybe there is a separate marketing company which can sell you data and market profile without making research.

Personally I like the installer, specially for a product as their main one (sample libraries). I also like the sound and small size (compared to other options).

In fact for me online installation is very important since I am outside the US and EU, some years back I couldn't think of getting komplete because of the need to ship it and pay extra fees for that.
They mentioned doing research, inclusive of user surveys. They ultimately said that the number of offline only users was a very small group and they took that into consideration when moving to the online only method they have now.

Aside from that issue, I do have to say that I love the installer. I'm on Mac, so maybe some of the issue I read about where with VST on Windows??? Anyway, I found it to be extremely easy to demo their offerings, as well as make updates as needed.

rod_zero wrote:
dreamvoid wrote:

The online/offline here is not the key issue, in my opinion. E.g. I'm online, but deeply dislike the company's product installing procedure.

bought this plugin a few months ago I think and it's really nice.

https://soundcloud.com/user-779234787/rc-20-demo

one instance of RC-20 on the master.
SoundCloud
"I believe every music producer inherently has something unique about the way they make music. They just have to identify what makes them different, and develop it" - Max Martin

RC-20 is awesome IMHO. It´s worth every cent!

Really like this plugin. I've been looking for a subtle coloring processor, something a bit more creative with the Decapitator type of goodness. Which is also able to go a bit wild when needed, but with the right sounding subtle processing as the highlight, since it's a bit harder to achieve. I've been using anything from Trash 2, Faturator, Decimort 2, Garbage LSD, etc..while I love them all, but this is such a great addition. I like to use Trash 2 and Garbage as a more extreme and creative distortion/filtering tools, Faturator as a dedicated lo-fi processor with a cool sounding distortion and Decimort 2 as a high-end DAC simulation. RC-20 filled the empty spot nicely between those great processors. On one part it's like having a dirtier/warmer/darker sounding - high quality vintage sampler/gaming machine emulations, on the other side it's range from a warmer processor with a vintage flavor to the more creative, with certain lushness that I really like. I'm finally able to pull a Morgana's style Mirage emulation using this, which is no easy task. The reverb is unique with a lush - spring/retro character, which fits well with the concept, but I'd love to see a crunchy delay as an alternative or additional fx. It will make it a complete retro station. Meanwhile I'm using it with the EchoBoy, Dub Machines and Spaceship delay, it's a retro heaven here. But most important that it's easy to use with a very musical workflow which fits me very well, and it blends with the source nicely. It includes enough presets for many types of coloring needs. Hopefully the next update will allow to re-arrange the signal flows, also the ability to select sounds using the arrow buttons. It's going to be way more retro without using the mouse :D
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

soulone82 wrote:RC-20 is awesome IMHO. It´s worth every cent!
Agreed. I absolutely love it. I think I'm starting to use it way too much! :hihi:

Russell Grand wrote:
soulone82 wrote:RC-20 is awesome IMHO. It´s worth every cent!
Agreed. I absolutely love it. I think I'm starting to use it way too much! :hihi:
I love my noise too.

Agreed - this thing is (can't think of anything less cheesey) supercool. Automating the mix is where it's most fun.

Only gripe: audible aliasing on some 'Distort' settings. Would welcome some oversampling, even if just offline.

How does it compare to Vinyl Strip from AudioThing?
What are the pros and cons compared to Vinyl Strip?
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

Return to “Effects”