Getting Hive?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

I just don't see the point in compartmentalising these things. I play music and prefer to go on my own music journey than just play what others write so in the process of doing so I create both new music and new sounds (so composition and sound design) which I then record using a DAW (so what people call 'production' although I couldn't care less about getting too deep into the mastering aspect as too often overdone, I prefer not to fiddle too much with what I've created or trying to make it better). So for me this is all one organic process, not separate things.

Funny how this thread is about all kinds of things, but rarely about Hive :hihi:

Hive, the universe and everything

Dasheesh wrote:ghetto I'm going to need more coffee before I tackle that, but I have 2 much simpler questions.

1: what if I record a synth and load the sample into a rompler?
What about it. It's like a photograph, no? It's the same thing as long as your expression would have asked the same of the synthesizer. It's not if what you're looking for is something more subtly changing that lies at the border of the rompler's synthesis capabilities.
2: What is talent? Because, it took me a real long time to answer that question for myself, and the dictionary answer is extremely vague and unsatisfying.
I don't know, why does that matter? I think that we get too hung up on things like that. This kind of goes hand in hand with another thread that was asking about dreaming about being as good as someone.

I don't care about "talent" with respect to music, I just make music that I like to create.

ghettosynth wrote: I don't care about "talent" with respect to music, I just make music that I like to create.

That's where I'm trying to get.

Dasheesh wrote:
ghettosynth wrote: I don't care about "talent" with respect to music, I just make music that I like to create.

Watch that Brian Eno documentary that's on Amazon Prime right now. I linked it in the thread where someone is asking about ambient.

Look at how Brian Eno created "Another Green World." Is that even Eno's record? There was as much, if not more, input from other "talented" musicians as there was from Eno who, at least at the time, described himself as a non-musician.

So, hold the phone, Eno can leverage the works of others and lay claim to the creations that contain them but somehow those of us who are complete amateurs must adopt a "not invented here" purity? I don't buy that, at all.

Eno is my quasi-hero these days. Not that I want to sound like him, I don't, for the most part, not that I have any desire to be successful like him, I don't care about that, but in the sense that one can simply express oneself and find their own voice in whatever talents that they have at whatever level they are at currently. When you need the talents of others, you use them. It doesn't matter if those talents come in the form of an invitation to another talented musician to contribute to your track, or the form of a preset library, or a sample pack.

My music goals today are to finish records. I do not dwell on what other people may feel about either the parts that make up the whole, or the whole itself. I have but one criterion that drives the choice to release, "do I like the record?" I don't release everything, mind you. I have three of ten tracks completed on my current work in progress and one additional track that I don't really like at all. I probably won't finish it, I'll just move on. Moreover, this is the second try at the same concept. The first try was completely ditched some months ago in an early stage of conception.

ghettosynth wrote:
Dasheesh wrote:

Watch that Brian Eno documentary that's on Amazon Prime right now. I linked it in the thread where someone is asking about ambient.

Look at how Brian Eno created "Another Green World." Is that even Eno's record? There was as much, if not more, input from other "talented" musicians as there was from Eno who, at least at the time, described himself as a non-musician.

So, hold the phone, Eno can leverage the works of others and lay claim to the creations that contain them but somehow those of us who are complete amateurs must adopt a "not invented here" purity? I don't buy that, at all.

Eno is my quasi-hero these days. Not that I want to sound like him, I don't, for the most part, not that I have any desire to be successful like him, I don't care about that, but in the sense that one can simply express oneself and find their own voice in whatever talents that they have at whatever level they are at currently. When you need the talents of others, you use them. It doesn't matter if those talents come in the form of an invitation to another talented musician to contribute to your track, or the form of a preset library, or a sample pack.

My music goals today are to finish records. I do not dwell on what other people may feel about either the parts that make up the whole, or the whole itself. I have but one criterion that drives the choice to release, "do I like the record?" I don't release everything, mind you. I have three of ten tracks completed on my current work in progress and one additional track that I don't really like at all. I probably won't finish it, I'll just move on. Moreover, this is the second try at the same concept. The first try was completely ditched some months ago in an early stage of conception.
I love reading your stuff. You seem very insightful. Curious, do you actually do this for a living? My gut says yes but these days, who can tell?

wagtunes wrote: I love reading your stuff. You seem very insightful. Curious, do you actually do this for a living? My gut says yes but these days, who can tell?
Thanks. I've talked about my status quite a bit, I'm a "complete amateur." The closest that I've ever come to making a living with music was when I was playing in cover bands and I quickly realized that I hated the feeling of being forced to continue something that I was tired of because my livelihood depended on it. Music is my hobby, my pastime, period. It is my escape from work, not my work.

It is my amateur status that affords me the freedom to not give a shit about what other people think. As I said in the other thread, if you are still looking for external validation, my advice is probably not going to work for you. I don't sell very many records, especially these days, and when I do, it always seems to be the stuff that I like the least.

ghettosynth wrote:
wagtunes wrote: I love reading your stuff. You seem very insightful. Curious, do you actually do this for a living? My gut says yes but these days, who can tell?
Thanks. I've talked about my status quite a bit, I'm a "complete amateur." The closest that I've ever come to making a living with music was when I was playing in cover bands and I quickly realized that I hated the feeling of being forced to continue something that I was tired of because my livelihood depended on it. Music is my hobby, my pastime, period. It is my escape from work, not my work.

It is my amateur status that affords me the freedom to not give a shit about what other people think. As I said in the other thread, if you are still looking for external validation, my advice is probably not going to work for you. I don't sell very many records, especially these days, and when I do, it always seems to be the stuff that I like the least.
Ah, external validation. Been chasing that for over 40 years. Something tells me it ain't gonna happen. LOL.

I'm not as bad as I was though. It used to bother me a lot. Now it just bothers me less than a lot.

It's a start.

I'm just going to pop this off here wags. I know what you are thinking. "Just pump out what everyone wants and sit back and let the funds come to me and I can do what ever I want at home if I can just learn how to play the game."

I've been fortunate enough to be in and around and living with and friends with the guys that "did it", and I don't take it for granted. Be it rock or punk or jazz or techno... I lived it. As it was happening. I had my chance at it. I could have done it when I was younger. In the end I recognized that it was not a good family environment and gave it up to raise a fam. That lifestyle you imagine... that comes later. After you do it. To "do it", you have to LIVE it. You have to BE it. You live, breath, eat it. You wake up doing it, you never go to bed because you are doing it. You don't get hired to show up at the party. You ARE the party. You get hired because you are the party. It's exhausting. I couldn't live the lifestyle.

I coulda been a contender.

wagtunes wrote:I love reading your stuff...
I awarded ghettosynth bonus points for the using the word variance. If anyone uses the term "standard deviation", it invalidates anything they say after that point.

1wob2many wrote:I coulda been a contender.
Doing it.

Dasheesh wrote:
Doing it.
The length and absurdity of this thread, after many replies, makes me realize how much more professional (and there are exceptions) gearslutz is compared with this site. Hive is a good synthesizer, so is Sylenth, so is Spire, et al but the off-topic, often granular nature of the comments presented here is astonishing. It's amazing anyone actually produces music. Heck it's amazing anyone actually designs sounds.
* AKAI, KRK, UAD, Softube Vol 1, Soundtoys
* Live, Logic, Serum, Spire, Dune 2, Hive

musiclover55547 wrote:
Dasheesh wrote:
Doing it.
The length and absurdity of this thread, after many replies, makes me realize how much more professional (and there are exceptions) gearslutz is compared with this site. Hive is a good synthesizer, so is Sylenth, so is Spire, et al but the off-topic, often granular nature of the comments presented here is astonishing. It's amazing anyone actually produces music. Heck it's amazing anyone actually designs sounds.
Some times I doubt that some of the strongest commentators at KVR actually produce Music or design any sounds :hihi: I never Heard any Music produced by those folks and judging from the amount of time they put into argue at KVR I doubt they have time for anything else :D Seems to be professional trolls and not musicians.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Return to “Instruments”