Cubase 9 Pro (Windows 10) PLE Problem

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all. I copied a PLE script (?) to quantize markers, but it moves all my markers to the top of the tune. (Not 0.0.0.0, but within the first beat & a half and out of order...) I did a version that quantizes only selected markers (attached), and then only those go to the top.

I've varied parameters, done a Safe Start, removed my split window, made a 2nd Marker track... I even sent the attached screenshot of the config to the original author, which he said looks fine...

I've done a few other PLE scripts, which work as expected.

Any ideas? --Or other ways to automatically snap markers to the grid?

Thanks! -Mike.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Mike.

Mike_the_K wrote:(Not 0.0.0.0, but within the first beat & a half and out of order...
Can you post screen shots, before and after using the PLE, of the marker track?

Try setting it so that it is = to your project PPQ instead of 1920 (like 480) and see if it does what you want.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

What I think is happening is the .2.0.0 doesn't push it far enough past the midline. And probably at 1920 and 480PPQ it will always round a bar down to the first beat or beyond. So the calculation would be
-Move ahead 2 beats
-Round that number closest to 1920 divisions. (This spot is to the left of the marker at 480PPQ)
I'm not sure why it jumps to the beginning though. I'm not sure exactly sure how the rounding gets calculated against what number.

Also, this could be a bug. It works how you would expect up to rounding 960. After that it starts doing funky stuff. That's what makes me think it's either a bug or we are rounding off a number that we don't know what it is related to. It just happens to do what we think it should up to a certain division. But as the rounding number gets bigger, notice that it starts snapping to the first bar. You can click apply all you want. It will set it to beat 1 somewhere the first time, then the marker will stay put. Keep using a bigger number and you'll push the marker to the left of the closest beat 1.

It works for me - at least if you want markers on bars.

I have PPQBase 960, and use that above with 1920.

What makes all the difference is whether marker track is musical or timebase.

As musical it works fine, as time which is my default for new tracks is does not work - unless you change it.

I also tested if main ruler timebase make a difference, it does not.
I added second ruler track, and made that musical and main time - it worked.

So set marker track timebase as fits - to musical in this case.

EDIT: Tested a bit more for my own understanding, and it seems what you set as PPQBase has no difference on this, Cubase seems always to work with 480 ticks each quarter note - at least as it comes to position then.

So how the above works is that 1920 correspond to 1 bar doing 4/4 signature - and roundby 1920 give closest bar.
So doing adding of two beats you ensure closest bar as destination - as you move position half a bar before rounding to bar.
If removing adding, you always adjust left to bar.

So the simplicity of this calculation does probably not do what you expect if doing various time signatures, and maybe changes over a project as well. If using tempotrack with many signatures will not quite do the job on a full project.

lfm wrote:It works for me - at least if you want markers on bars.

I have PPQBase 960, and use that above with 1920.

What makes all the difference is whether marker track is musical or timebase.

As musical it works fine, as time which is my default for new tracks is does not work - unless you change it.

I also tested if main ruler timebase make a difference, it does not.
I added second ruler track, and made that musical and main time - it worked.

So set marker track timebase as fits - to musical in this case.

EDIT: Tested a bit more for my own understanding, and it seems what you set as PPQBase has no difference on this, Cubase seems always to work with 480 ticks each quarter note - at least as it comes to position then.

So how the above works is that 1920 correspond to 1 bar doing 4/4 signature - and roundby 1920 give closest bar.
So doing adding of two beats you ensure closest bar as destination - as you move position half a bar before rounding to bar.
If removing adding, you always adjust left to bar.

So the simplicity of this calculation does probably not do what you expect if doing various time signatures, and maybe changes over a project as well. If using tempotrack with many signatures will not quite do the job on a full project.
Interesting, if I use 1920 I do not get the nearest bar in musical mode. And it does behave different for me if I increase the PPQ preference. Try using 9/8 or other compound sigs and see what happens?

EDIT: And so far, if I have PPQ at default and rounding at 960 the function seems to work.

lfm wrote: it seems what you set as PPQBase has no difference on this, Cubase seems always to work with 480 ticks each quarter note - at least as it comes to position then.
Off-topic but for my own understanding... that seems like a property of snapping to bars. I use the maximum of 4000 PPQ and the time display indicates such subdivision of beats, and moving parts will move them according to this resolution. Because I warp the timeline (I do not tick 'snap to bars' in preferences except if I need to which is not usual.)
1000 ticks per 16th:
Cut/paste part to cursor at this place and it positions it there.

Back to topic, which must be snapped to bars and one assumes the default of 480 PPQ and musical time for the Marker Track, I would expect Round By to follow (2 beats = 960).

SJ_Digriz wrote: Interesting, if I use 1920 I do not get the nearest bar in musical mode. And it does behave different for me if I increase the PPQ preference. Try using 9/8 or other compound sigs and see what happens?

EDIT: And so far, if I have PPQ at default and rounding at 960 the function seems to work.
Midi display resolution is what I changed - not sure what PPQ preference is by you?
I had it so PPQBase showed 960(setting 240), and changed so 480(setting 120 which I believe is default) - but noticed no difference.

Placed marker just beyond 4.3.0.0 to see where it snaps - it should go to 5.1.1.0 with 1920 and my resolution 960 - since 1920 is 4x960=half bar in 4/4. But it goes to 5.1.1.0 - which is correct if 480 is base and not my display setting.

Then I changed my resolution to 480 - and same position again - and it also goes to 5.1.1.0.

So no change when I change - and theory where it positions is according to 480 as internal handling - disregarding display setting you have.

And first test where 1920 is only half a bar - if Cubase really used 960x4 as calculation - should place marker at 4.3.1.0 and not 5.1.1.0.

But had just normal 4/4 signature.

Manual said somewhere 480 ticks each quarternote. And since wording is Midi display resolution in preferences - suggest this is just for show - not internal use.

If using odd signatures like 9/8 you should alter displacement 0.2.0.0 so it moves half a bar - 0.2.2.0 or something. Then it should go to nearest bar - not only left on the bar it is.

SJ_Digriz wrote: EDIT: And so far, if I have PPQ at default and rounding at 960 the function seems to work.
It should be half a bar adjustment then - the closed middle of a bar, or at a bar.

If I place marker at 4.2.2 it goes to 4.3.1 for me - which is half bar alignment.

And it does not matter if I set display resolution 480 or 960.

jancivil wrote:
lfm wrote: it seems what you set as PPQBase has no difference on this, Cubase seems always to work with 480 ticks each quarter note - at least as it comes to position then.
Off-topic but for my own understanding... that seems like a property of snapping to bars. I use the maximum of 4000 PPQ and the time display indicates such subdivision of beats, and moving parts will move them according to this resolution. Because I warp the timeline (I do not tick 'snap to bars' in preferences except if I need to which is not usual.)
1000 ticks per 16th:

Back to topic, which must be snapped to bars and one assumes the default of 480 PPQ and musical time for the Marker Track, I would expect Round By to follow (2 beats = 960).
But can you program with PLE to place it there?
I can set 120 ticks each 1/16th or 240 and it behaves the same with PLE.

They say midi display resolution - but will it even act differently?
I think about a dozen of samples of audio goes for each tick of midi, when I calculated at some timeat 120 bpm or something.

So a render should tell if two clips from midi event placed on that degree - you should see a different sample position if render in place or similar.

Would be interesting to go to bottom with this.

I run Cubase Pro 9.0.20 on Windows 7.

From manual:
"MIDI Display Resolution
This allows you to set the display resolution for viewing and editing MIDI data.
This only affects how MIDI events are displayed and not how they are recorded"

I think midi clock is only 24 ticks each quarternote, so that is how accurate midi is. The highest resolution if programming realtime on external drum machine I had was 96 ticks.

So when we talk about 960 in computer one wonders what reality is if external gear....

lfm wrote:
jancivil wrote:
Off-topic but for my own understanding... that seems like a property of snapping to bars.
But can you program with PLE to place it there?
I can set 120 ticks each 1/16th or 240 and it behaves the same with PLE.

They say midi display resolution - but will it even act differently?
I think about a dozen of samples of audio goes for each tick of midi, when I calculated at some timeat 120 bpm or something.

So a render should tell if two clips from midi event placed on that degree - you should see a different sample position if render in place or similar.

Would be interesting to go to bottom with this.

I run Cubase Pro 9.0.20 on Windows 7.

From manual:
"MIDI Display Resolution
This allows you to set the display resolution for viewing and editing MIDI data.
This only affects how MIDI events are displayed and not how they are recorded"

I think midi clock is only 24 ticks each quarternote, so that is how accurate midi is. The highest resolution if programming realtime on external drum machine I had was 96 ticks.

So when we talk about 960 in computer one wonders what reality is if external gear....
Yeah, I actually wouldn't really expect LPE to follow that 'display resolution'. I don't believe MIDI is necessarily as coarse as that, however.

Ok, I'm going to go with the project that's open. 1 quarter note beat at ~53 BPM is 50, 066 samples according to the Ruler. 1/16th note = 12, 517 samples. I'm familiar with that bit in the manual regarding MIDI 'display resolution' but is <Samples> supposed to just function as a visual? I wouldn't think so. It should follow that 1/1000 x 12517 = 12.517 samples every tick. OTOH: it's only going to MIDI quantize (one supposes to snap as well) to the extent of 128th notes. That = 32 per quarter note.

So yeah, going to have to render and look at the difference.

Let's take 120 bpm - that is two qaurternotes each second.
If running 48k, that 24 000 samples every quarternote.

And if 960 ticks each quaternote - 24000/960=being 25 samples each midi tick.

Yeah, I get that but I want to see it in real-world and see how off it is, additionally.
I'm at 44.1khz here... which means too much math for me right now. :scared:

jancivil wrote:Yeah, I get that but I want to see it in real-world and see how off it is, additionally.
I'm at 44.1khz here... which means too much math for me right now. :scared:
:lol: yeah, no kidding. I'm still not convinced it is rounding from the adjusted note start location.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”