Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

mcnoone wrote:
Here's a few of my new Hive sounds.
https://app.box.com/s/qxsirv6l6cqjq13v9tdq1yhwpsttg960
@1:48 awesome! :phones:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

mcnoone wrote:
Dasheesh wrote: The MC sound set for Hive is probably the best set of prepackaged sounds I ever heard out of a commercial softsynth.
Thanks a lot.
Glad you enjoyed them.
I'm just finishing up my new Hive soundset now.
I've had a year to learn more about it, so these new sounds are an improvement imo.

Here's a few of my new Hive sounds.
https://app.box.com/s/qxsirv6l6cqjq13v9tdq1yhwpsttg960

I love the way you recognized what Hive was and you are able to get under the skin and pull out that tonal quality that Hive has, without trying to make her into something she isn't.

I'd like to ask you guys about ZebraHZ since many of you mentioned Zebra here.
I tried the Zebra demo and I'm not impressed by it's sound. Is the ZebraHZ much better (more full/powerful - whatever) sounding? I think there's no demo for it right?

I heard that it has Diva's filters but not sure what else. It will still be quite a while before Z3 is out right? Any news about when?

Zebra has a lot to love, no matter which version. You should check out some soundbanks for it, its sound can and is impressive, even after all these years!

EvilDragon wrote:Zebra has a lot to love, no matter which version. You should check out some soundbanks for it, its sound can and is impressive, even after all these years!
Yes, five years ago i did everything with Zebra. It literally replaced every other virtual i had back then because of the awesome sounds and capabilities. Still one of my favorites!
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Soarer wrote:I'd like to ask you guys about ZebraHZ since many of you mentioned Zebra here.
I tried the Zebra demo and I'm not impressed by it's sound. Is the ZebraHZ much better (more full/powerful - whatever) sounding? I think there's no demo for it right?

I heard that it has Diva's filters but not sure what else. It will still be quite a while before Z3 is out right? Any news about when?

Zebra three is a real possibility. My guess is Urs is in "dwelling on it and working it out in my head" mode. They are probably brain storming it now.

Anyway, my honest opinion of zebra is that it was ground breaking and extremely well engineered. You can do what ever you want with it. There is even a way to sample wave forms and turn them into zebra oscillators. All the spectral morphing is amazing. The price of all this is a hit on the character side of things though. You can obviously layer it as many times as your system can handle and it has a new character distortion that I've never had a chance to play with, but the Diva filters really fatten it up and add a lot, and if you go zebra... it's really worth it to go HZ. Traditionally the GUI was restrictive and small for me but the new GUI they are working on looks amazing. I think U-he is, in general, making GUI's a priority for future releases. Remember what I said about U-he, they give you everything you need, but you have to do it U-he's way. I think that might be changing in future releases.

^^^ On that note, and since we are in the Hive thread, that's the whole point of Hive is to keep it usable without giving on character. To do that you have to give on options.... UNLESS... it's ingeniously designed like Hive. Which allows you to do more with less, and that is the point of Hive...Do more with less.

Soarer wrote:I'd like to ask you guys about ZebraHZ since many of you mentioned Zebra here.

Zebra by default has a fairly neutral sound. It can be shaped into many different characters. One of the things I most love about Zebra is that it can easily make 'thin' sounds that are still character-full. Lots of acoustic instruments are 'thin' sounding and also very beautiful and expressive. I don't care for the relentless gotta make everything bigger and fatter and louder tendency. I believe something has been lost in that. But if you want that, Zebra can also make full/powerful sounds too... but it doesn't have to to sound good.

I have ZebraHZ, but I don't actually use the Diva filters in it very much. I do use the resonator and the per channel compressors however. I think ZebraHZ has a similar character as Zebra, cause it is Zebra. If you don't like Zebra, I don't think you will like ZebraHZ much better. Plus you have to buy Zebra to be able to buy HZ.

Well, there you go, two differing opinions. I didn't go for zebra because I like more artifacts and character in my sound. I like the "life" of Hive and the modulars. Urs would probably call it the dynamics. PDX's opinion is very valid though. Depends on what you like.

The way I look at Hive and Zebra 2 is very simple.

The sounds that Zebra 2 can make, as far as complexity, Hive can't make. The character of Hive's sound, Zebra 2 doesn't have it. In short, the two synths are not interchangeable. I would not give up either one for that reason.

The one I use depends on what I'm going for at the time.

wagtunes wrote:The way I look at Hive and Zebra 2 is very simple.

The sounds that Zebra 2 can make, as far as complexity, Hive can't make. The character of Hive's sound, Zebra 2 doesn't have it. In short, the two synths are not interchangeable. I would not give up either one for that reason.

The one I use depends on what I'm going for at the time.

There it is. *like*

One nice addition for Hive's V2 could be an MSEG implementation. The process is not all that complicated, thus it should not add to the CPU load. They could do it one of two ways, unless Uhe creates a unique and efficient workflow:

1 - As in Serum, have each and every LFO fully configurable with the ability to load LFO libraries, i.e. each LFO is essentially an MSEG for all intents and purposes;
2 - As in Dune 2 & Alchemy 2 (as well as Spire's Steppers,) include one additional parameter with its own screen real-estate on top of the existing LFOs. This choice could interfere with Hive's One-Screen approach, though not necessarily. There would be more modulation Sources & Targets if this route were to be taken.

MSEGs are great for Stepping as well as Filter Modulation, to name just two advantages of such functionality.
* AKAI, KRK, UAD, Softube Vol 1, Soundtoys
* Live, Logic, Serum, Spire, Dune 2, Hive

^^^ A third hex maybe? I suggested more and varying types of "constants" to use. I like that MSEG idea though. If something like more modulations were introduced, it would probably be the mythical "third Hex".

musiclover55547 wrote:One nice addition for Hive's V2 could be an MSEG implementation. The process is not all that complicated, thus it should not add to the CPU load. They could do it one of two ways, unless Uhe creates a unique and efficient workflow:

1 - As in Serum, have each and every LFO fully configurable with the ability to load LFO libraries, i.e. each LFO is essentially an MSEG for all intents and purposes;
2 - As in Dune 2 & Alchemy 2 (as well as Spire's Steppers,) include one additional parameter with its own screen real-estate on top of the existing LFOs. This choice could interfere with Hive's One-Screen approach, though not necessarily. There would be more modulation Sources & Targets if this route were to be taken.

MSEGs are great for Stepping as well as Filter Modulation, to name just two advantages of such functionality.
The step sequencer can function as a modulator.

Truth is I barely touch a sequencer anymore but that's probably true!

Return to “Instruments”