Ableton Live 10 - what is it?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pdxindy wrote:
musiclover55547 wrote:As far as the Suite's included VI's, all one has to do is look at Logic or Cubase. The two blow Ableton's VI's, other than the Racks, out of the water.
disagree

the AAS stuff is great... and Operator with the top notch filters is an excellent synth. I think there is a bias against the Live synths due to not having slick GUI's.
I will wholeheartedly agree with you regarding the implementation of Cytomic's IP with respect to the filters.

Logic does have Sculpture, and to a certain degree the functionality overlaps with the AAS IP.

My biggest gripe is Java 6, however, and that's why I haven't purchased the Suite, though I did extensively demo.
* AKAI, KRK, UAD, Softube Vol 1, Soundtoys
* Live, Logic, Serum, Spire, Dune 2, Hive

musiclover55547 wrote:My biggest gripe is Java 6
Could you explain what you mean?

pdxindy wrote:
https://www.ableton.com/answers/is-inst ... -mavericks
* AKAI, KRK, UAD, Softube Vol 1, Soundtoys
* Live, Logic, Serum, Spire, Dune 2, Hive

Absolutely love Operator.

One of my only complaints about Live also regards modulation - I think Ableton relies too much on M4L to fill that gap, and though I like what M4L brings, the long load times and bugs/crashes cause me to avoid it in most projects.

There are some awesome things Live can to that are not immediately obvious (or marketed). Want to put multiple instruments on a track and morph between them? Group an instrument to a rack, open the Chain, drop in another, create a dry/wet fade and macro for automation. Save the template and in seconds you can layer / morph any number of instruments(and individual effects chains) the same track. You can also save macros to control multiple parameters of any/all instruments with their own ranges. Map it to a knob on your controller, and you're tweaking 4 instruments' filters at once, for example.

But with all that control, their aren't good tools for modulating the macros - so if I want to apply an LFO to that control, I have to use M4L's LFO midi tool. Built that right into Live and it would be that much more of a beast. Would love a nice sequencer for that also - get it out of clip/track automation and built it into a Rack (cause you can have Racks nested in Racks, of course). :hyper:

I would like to see:

1. MPE

2. The elimination of the six control surface limit.

3. Expansion of Link's capabilities into a full-fledged inter-app sync technology complete with bar/beat position synchronization that you can enable or disable and the ability to designate a sync master if you want or need to.

4. The elimination of the limitations imposed when Live runs as a Rewire slave.

5. More than 8 macro controls in Racks. Maybe multiple pages with 8 per page.

6. Some sweet modulation and step sequencer devices

7. An elegant, streamlined way to get hi-res (higher than standard MIDI 0-127) parameter control happening. I realize that most plugins only support standard MIDI parameter resolution, but if DAW developers came up with good ways to implement hi-res (14bit MIDI or better) control, plugin developers would support it. Wouldn't you like to be able to tweak the filter or xmod of your soft synths and not hear stepped changes? With so many soft synths that actually sound good, the next thing we need is super smooth, hi-res control of them. This would of course require enabling Push to send hi-res control data.

musiclover55547 wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
Thanks...

JoeCat wrote:But with all that control, their aren't good tools for modulating the macros - so if I want to apply an LFO to that control, I have to use M4L's LFO midi tool. Built that right into Live and it would be that much more of a beast. Would love a nice sequencer for that also - get it out of clip/track automation and built it into a Rack (cause you can have Racks nested in Racks, of course). :hyper:
That is one of the reasons I switched to Bitwig. The excellent modulation system.

JoeCat wrote:Absolutely love Operator.

One of my only complaints about Live also regards modulation - I think Ableton relies too much on M4L to fill that gap, and though I like what M4L brings, the long load times and bugs/crashes cause me to avoid it in most projects.

There are some awesome things Live can to that are not immediately obvious (or marketed). Want to put multiple instruments on a track and morph between them? Group an instrument to a rack, open the Chain, drop in another, create a dry/wet fade and macro for automation. Save the template and in seconds you can layer / morph any number of instruments(and individual effects chains) the same track. You can also save macros to control multiple parameters of any/all instruments with their own ranges. Map it to a knob on your controller, and you're tweaking 4 instruments' filters at once, for example.

But with all that control, their aren't good tools for modulating the macros - so if I want to apply an LFO to that control, I have to use M4L's LFO midi tool. Built that right into Live and it would be that much more of a beast. Would love a nice sequencer for that also - get it out of clip/track automation and built it into a Rack (cause you can have Racks nested in Racks, of course). :hyper:
Right-click a automatable control/parameter on Live and you will find a "Show Modulation" option which is separate from Automation and can be "unlinked" (and it is relative to the current setting, instead of setting to a specific value like automation).

You can also use "ghost clips", scripts like CLiphx or routing through virtual MIDI cables to set up all kinds of modulation.

pottering wrote:
JoeCat wrote:Absolutely love Operator.

Right-click a automatable control/parameter on Live and you will find a "Show Modulation" option which is separate from Automation and can be "unlinked" (and it is relative to the current setting, instead of setting to a specific value like automation).

You can also use "ghost clips", scripts like CLiphx or routing through virtual MIDI cables to set up all kinds of modulation.
The clip modulation features have been a big help for working in Session View, but I'd still love a solution that's tied to the Rack itself. An MSEG MIDI effect mapped to a Macro could be saved with it's' own presets and saved as part of a Rack.

I would love to see improved Push 2 displays of third party plugins like native devices. I'm thinking something like NI have with nks and something user configurable. While you are able to view plugin controls you are limited to how you can arrange them, and they appear just as simple 1 - 127 rotary controls.

I think this should be addressed as it seems to fly in the face of what Push is about

^ I would also love to see improved push 2 support for NI komplete. Audiomodder helps but it would be great to have the Komplete drumkits integrated into the racks/push 2 natively.

I would love to see a proper supported iPad app which would work as an extension to Push so that everything you can't do with Push you could do on such an iPad app. It would fill in quite a gap.

Using it for XY and midi controling is obvious but also for quick sample editing and management and it would make it much easier and faster to use Live's browser. So much would be possible.

It would be the perfect companion for Max for Live!

Synth and VST instrument developers could make control surfaces for their products for this app for instant tweaking of parameters. Great for both music production and Live use.

Touchable is quite good but it doesn't work properly WITH Push. It's either Push or Touchable and it's still limited. A touchscreen on the next Push might be the answer but it should be big enough and without latency. Still this optional separate iPad app might be better.

musiclover55547 wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
Old news perhaps, but Java isn't required any more.
Image Image Image Image

I just want to see something released, but with the purchase of Max I have this feeling that is going to be a while yet. Max should also be built into the standard version too .. not enough features to justify the price.

generaldiomedes wrote:I just want to see something released, but with the purchase of Max I have this feeling that is going to be a while yet. Max should also be built into the standard version too .. not enough features to justify the price.
I think that many standard plugins (i.e. Convolution Reverb) should be moved from M4L to native Ableton, because they're too unstable and tend to glitch. Overall I gave up using Max, because it simply fails to work over and over.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”