Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dub Machines (Max for Live)

aMUSEd wrote:
soma wrote:Hey guys,
Check it out here:
https://www.surrealmachines.com/
(Also in the KVR database waiting reviews ;) )
How do you get them that large, they are much smaller on my system? (Just a standard HD 1080p display, not retina). Wish they were that big.
I'm curious as well, larger verison would save me.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Bigger (resizable) GUI please ...

We're looking into how to make the UI resizable for a future update.

blortblort wrote:hi soma!

love the "licensed to" ;]
...and these plugs!
I've owned the M4L versions since they came out. Astounding.
Besides lower CPU usuage, does Modnetic sport anything that Magnetic (M4L) does not?
Compared to the Ableton M4L version (Magnetic), the new VST/AU plugin Modnetic has been completely rewritten from scratch in C++ for better performance and higher quality. We’ve painstaking created brand new ‘character modes’ that affect the whole system, provided a new set of reverbs and colors (keeping the best from before) and made everything completely smooth and click free in realtime performance, not to mention plugin features like AB compare and mix lock… but the biggest change has to be… our new modulation system!
Modnetic has a fully featured and easy to use modulation section with chorus, flangers and phasers. In each type you get many modes that go from analog modeled BBD circuits to clean digital and character modes for each type.
The manual is dense, we know. But there’s lots of tips and tricks and a ‘walk through’, plus details we hope you don’t need to know, but give you expert control, like how our level dials automatically have a secret life as dry/wet knobs when needed, etc.
(As an aside, the whole process took about two years of research and development, lots of gear rental, two UI redesigns and a new web page …plus blood, sweat, tears and trans-European travels).

mcnelson wrote:
soma wrote: Modnetic is really the star of the show, so I suggest trying the free demo, but to make this fair to all those who already bought the max version, Diffuse is complete free until June 8th.

Diffuse is free for everyone; max customers pay the same for modnetic as everyone else.

It's almost like max customers funded the vst development. :?
In some sense that's true. And customers of these plugins are funding the development of all our future products. Revenue for our small company is essential to stay alive and continue to make great things. :tu:

We're giving it away free for a limited time because we know that we have customers of our Max devices that deserve a break. We don't have access to the customer information of our Ableton products (and I bet there are people glad about that). It's free for you, :) that's great. It's free for anyone who learns about it, we think that's also great.

From our FAQ on crossgrades
Sadly we are not in a position to do an official ‘crossgrade’ for users of the MaxForLive devices which are related to (but in no way exactly the same as) the recent Dub Machines VST / AU releases.
The other project was with a different company (Ableton) and we have none of their details or data about customers or orders. We are also a small company right now.
We are giving away Diffuse VST for free at the beginning of our VST release period – this is our way of giving a discount to all our loyal M4L users. Hopefully you enjoy Diffuse enough to still consider the massively updated Modnetic.
Modnetic has had two years of additional development, so giving away Diffuse for free is a consolation.
You can even try a demo of Modnetic to test out all the new features if you wish. The new modulation section alone could be considered an entirely new plugin. Any CPU ‘fixes’ are also to do with this long research period, but also to do with what is possible writing native C++ code rather than working in Max/Gen.
We hope this is a good compromise for everyone.

dangayle wrote:I just tried out Diffuse today, fantastic. Would you recommend the AU/VST versions over the M4L versions?
Diffuse is nearly the same DSP-wise. Of course there was more work put into presets, Mix lock, UI, A/B compare, etc. (not to mention you can use it in other DAWs)

But Modnetic is a completely different beast with over 2 years more development put into the modulation section, character modes, IRs, higher-quality sound and lower CPU. So for Modnetic I would definately say YES! Well worth using over the Max version, even in Ableton. :)

Is the M4L Magnetic likely to get an upgrade, or is Modnetic it? I love Magnetic, but its a CPU eater.

thecontrolcentre wrote:Is the M4L Magnetic likely to get an upgrade, or is Modnetic it? I love Magnetic, but its a CPU eater.
There is a maintenance update coming out soon-ish, but we just can't get the performance optimizations out of Max that we can coding bare C++. The modulation section alone would only melt your CPU in Max.

So, yes, we're updating the Ableton version but only to make some bug fixes and to make sure it keeps running smoothly with updates to Max for Live. If you're happy with the Max version, rest assured that it will keep working and we'll take care of bugs as they come up. To save CPU and get all the new options and better sound we can only do it in C++, so the plugin is for you if you want that stuff.

soma - thanks so much for the Diffuse freebie!

Lots of fun, "tight but spacious" sounding on percussion. Totally reminds me of '80s Brian Eno productions like Talking Heads and Jon Hassell.

soma wrote:
blortblort wrote:hi soma!

love the "licensed to" ;]
...and these plugs!
I've owned the M4L versions since they came out. Astounding.
Besides lower CPU usuage, does Modnetic sport anything that Magnetic (M4L) does not?
Compared to the Ableton M4L version (Magnetic), the new VST/AU plugin Modnetic has been completely rewritten from scratch in C++ for better performance and higher quality. We’ve painstaking created brand new ‘character modes’ that affect the whole system, provided a new set of reverbs and colors (keeping the best from before) and made everything completely smooth and click free in realtime performance, not to mention plugin features like AB compare and mix lock… but the biggest change has to be… our new modulation system!
Modnetic has a fully featured and easy to use modulation section with chorus, flangers and phasers. In each type you get many modes that go from analog modeled BBD circuits to clean digital and character modes for each type.
The manual is dense, we know. But there’s lots of tips and tricks and a ‘walk through’, plus details we hope you don’t need to know, but give you expert control, like how our level dials automatically have a secret life as dry/wet knobs when needed, etc.
(As an aside, the whole process took about two years of research and development, lots of gear rental, two UI redesigns and a new web page …plus blood, sweat, tears and trans-European travels).
ya had my sale even before your reply ;]
Thanks for the details in any case!...and congratulations for first realizing these monsters in Max and then porting them to be even MORE useful as vsts. One of my best buys of 2017 thus far for certain ;]

Hi soma,
it seems that I cannot map the plugin knobs to my hardware knobs.
Bitwig 2.1 Win7pro x64.
Would be very nice to dub things with hands on controllers 8)
The average bored guy

bite_me wrote:Hi soma,
Bitwig 2.1 Win7pro x64.
I made a device panel for Diffuse with Bitwig 2.1 so it does work on my Mac at least. I have found some plugins in BW2 can't be mapped directly from their GUI but only via the Bitwig list of params (this is a bug I reported) but this was not one of them but maybe it's different on Win for this plugin?

Anyway try the panel, it may still work for you - it's mapped to any 8 knob controller (Links are in first post of this thread http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... l#p6790275).

Thanks aMUSEd.
I'll have to check out BW2 on Win. It may take a little time to get the system setup.

aMUSEd wrote:
Bitwig 2.1 Win7pro x64.
I made a device panel for Diffuse with Bitwig 2.1 so it does work on my Mac at least. I have found some plugins in BW2 can't be mapped directly from their GUI but only via the Bitwig list of params (this is a bug I reported) but this was not one of them but maybe it's different on Win for this plugin?

Anyway try the panel, it may still work for you - it's mapped to any 8 knob controller (Links are in first post of this thread http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... l#p6790275).
Yes, I mapped from the list - not the plugin itself.
When I turn hardware-knobs, the "list-knobs" move but not the plugin-knobs.
The plugin knobs are recordable as automation like it should be, but only via mouse.
The average bored guy

bite_me wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:
Bitwig 2.1 Win7pro x64.

Yes, I mapped from the list - not the plugin itself.
When I turn hardware-knobs, the "list-knobs" move but not the plugin-knobs.
The plugin knobs are recordable as automation like it should be, but only via mouse.
OK yes that is different from my experience, my hardware controller is moving the knobs too (both in the list and interface). Does it work with my device panel?

Return to “Effects”