Console emulation plugins for electronic music

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Personally I'm preferring Slate VTC to the VCC. The "New York" module especially... loads of punch!

I make techno as well :)

I like Slate plugins i have all of them but to my ear Sonimus Britson and bx_coonsole is much more realistic when it comes to that console sound. Far more realistic. Add Satin to bundle to make truly vintage soundstage.

Add tad of Nebula/Acqua and that's it you can't get any better.

To my ear Slate VCC destroy transients (take it with grain of salt - someone will say it improve it for them this is all personal) and no console i ever worked with produced such harsh saturation so obviously. Not even low end Mackie. I can't imagine any SSL doing such mushy saturation exaggerated effect like VCC does. I bet guys at SSL are laughing.

IMO people are mislead because VCC pumps a sound quite a bit.

To each their own :)

Also note i am speaking about VCC only. Other things like Slate compressors or Neve EQ are really really worth it.

To conclude - i think it's up to user. Almost every newer console product these days will make it there - be it VCC or Satson whatever they are all good you just need to know utilize them within your own talent and ear sensibility.

I'm coming to like the idea and convenience of an API strip. Except UAD is the only guys I know who do one.

Odd that Waves didn't make a whole API or Neve strip like their SSL counter-parts. Perhaps there will be something in version 10?!?

Mind you, I like having the descrete components as well, I just like having that choice available.

Airwindows console and busscolors work fine too
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

simon.a.billington wrote:I'm coming to like the idea and convenience of an API strip. Except UAD is the only guys I know who do one.
Acustica Audio do one - "Pink" - http://www.acustica-audio.com/index.php ... Itemid=189

"Pink 2412" is (I think) an API 2500 emulation. I just tried it on the master bus yesterday for a trance tune and I was blown away. http://www.acustica-audio.com/index.php ... Itemid=189

kmonkey wrote:
To my ear Slate VCC destroy transients (take it with grain of salt - someone will say it improve it for them this is all personal) and no console i ever worked with produced such harsh saturation so obviously. Not even low end Mackie. I can't imagine any SSL doing such mushy saturation exaggerated effect like VCC does. I bet guys at SSL are laughing.
Agreed - VCC doesn't really suit the kinda stuff I'm working on. It seems to turn things to mush. But I do like what the Virtual Tube Collection does.

andymcbain wrote:
simon.a.billington wrote:I'm coming to like the idea and convenience of an API strip. Except UAD is the only guys I know who do one.
Acustica Audio do one - "Pink" - http://www.acustica-audio.com/index.php ... Itemid=189

"Pink 2412" is (I think) an API 2500 emulation. I just tried it on the master bus yesterday for a trance tune and I was blown away. http://www.acustica-audio.com/index.php ... Itemid=189
Oh yeah, I knew that!! Just conveniently forgotten about it... :ud:

Sknote strip is worth cheking out also. It has a particular workflow its meant to be added at the end of your plugin chains. Its nice for broad EQ adjustments for sweetning the mix and also has sidechain capabilities. There is a bunch of different console emus included. Definitly makes my mixes sound better.
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

Boone777 wrote:Sknote strip is worth cheking out also. It has a particular workflow its meant to be added at the end of your plugin chains. Its nice for broad EQ adjustments for sweetning the mix and also has sidechain capabilities. There is a bunch of different console emus included. Definitly makes my mixes sound better.
Thanks for putting me onto this stuff - I'd never heard of this developer before but there's a lot of intriguing plugins there at my kinda price :D

No demos though?

I use harrison mixbus as a backend to reaper. sounds great.

Theoctavist wrote:I use harrison mixbus as a backend to reaper. sounds great.
HMB doesn't do console emulation.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

do_androids_dream wrote:
Just looked it up, and that statement is false:
Harrison wrote:Precise emulation based on Harrison's famous analog console circuit designs
So Harrison MixBus emulates.... [suspense] ... [/suspense] the Harrison consoles.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote:
do_androids_dream wrote:
Harrison wrote:Precise emulation based on Harrison's famous analog console circuit designs
So Harrison MixBus emulates.... [suspense] ... [/suspense] the Harrison consoles.
Well, we've been here before.. That statement is pretty vague. It DOES do emulation of eq/compression and saturation on the buss channels - but there's no console emulation in the channel strips. They're the same as any other DAW.

do_androids_dream wrote:
BertKoor wrote:
do_androids_dream wrote:
Well, we've been here before.. That statement is pretty vague. It DOES do emulation of eq/compression and saturation on the buss channels - but there's no console emulation in the channel strips. They're the same as any other DAW.
They do have console emulation, they list eq/comp/sat seperately. On other forums they've talked about it a bit when people have asked for crosstalk emulation. I seem to remember that they don't include crosstalk as they've spent so long trying to remove it from their consoles :)

resynthesis wrote:They do have console emulation,
Sorry, but no they don't. I've been a HMB user for years - I've done many null tests - with audio exported from other DAWS - multitracks of a few files to 20 or 30 - when you match gain and panning law it nulls every time. There is nothing at all going on in HMB in regard to console emulation. There is just eq/compression on the tracks, saturation on the buss channels and the master buss. I even made this point on the HMB forum - no replies from any developers.

Return to “Production Techniques”