Minimoog Softsynth Shootout: Diva MiniV3 Monark Legend Minimonsta vs Model D

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Diva Mini V4 Minimonsta Monark The Legend

pdxindy wrote:
goldenanalog wrote:http://www.sonicprojects.ch/opxpro2/technology.html

- A brilliant example/realisation - squarely along the path of what I'm talking about -
A variety of synths such as Diva do that these days. Plus plenty of synths have the modulation options to create variations per voice.
Pdxindy:

What would you consider to be the tip-top sample playback soft that leans towards having the world-class sound & flexibility of Diva, but fundamentally uses samples as oscillators?

Maybe what I'm asking for already exists - I'm just not aware of it (will definitely be looking at TAL's sampler in the meantime - )

goldenanalog wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
goldenanalog wrote:http://www.sonicprojects.ch/opxpro2/technology.html

- A brilliant example/realisation - squarely along the path of what I'm talking about -
A variety of synths such as Diva do that these days. Plus plenty of synths have the modulation options to create variations per voice.
Pdxindy:

What would you consider to be the tip-top sample playback soft that leans towards having the world-class sound & flexibility of Diva, but fundamentally uses samples as oscillators?

Maybe what I'm asking for already exists - I'm just not aware of it (will definitely be looking at TAL's sampler in the meantime - )
OPX, Diva etc do not play samples.

None that I know of. I'm interested in what you are asking for as well... though I've been more considering it for hardware. I'd for sure be interested in a hardware sampler with analog filters and signal path after the osc's.

I got on the idea after buying the Analog Rytm. There is something about the samples through the analog circuits that has some lovely character to my ears. The Rytm also has analog distortion and compressor.

Waldorf is releasing the Quantum towards the end of this year.

pdxindy wrote:OPX, Diva etc do not play samples.

None that I know of. I'm interested in what you are asking for as well... though I've been more considering it for hardware. I'd for sure be interested in a hardware sampler with analog filters and signal path after the osc's.

I got on the idea after buying the Analog Rytm. There is something about the samples through the analog circuits that has some lovely character to my ears. The Rytm also has analog distortion and compressor.

Waldorf is releasing the Quantum towards the end of this year.
Thanks for answering my question, pdxindy! :hug:

I've wanted a DSI Tempest for a while, now, myself -

-GA

goldenanalog wrote:I did a little research to check & see just how many samplers were built having the criteria of being both 16 bit, as well as using the DAC-to-analog-filter-per-voice topology:

Sequential Circuits Prophet 3000

Emulator EIII keyboard (EIII rack derivitives used digital filters - along with everything else that came after the EIII )

Fairlight Series III

There's likely others; but that's all I found.
Emulator II (probably the same analog filters as in III)
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq Mirage
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSM-1
Korg DSS-1

Those are the ones I know of, on top of yours. Then there's various drum machines with analog filters, like the EMU SP-1200, which I guess could be counted too. Seems those vintage-analog drum machines have become expensive and highly sought after lately. Might be worth emulating as well :hyper:

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

Richard_Synapse wrote:
goldenanalog wrote:I did a little research to check & see just how many samplers were built having the criteria of being both 16 bit, as well as using the DAC-to-analog-filter-per-voice topology:

Sequential Circuits Prophet 3000

Emulator EIII keyboard (EIII rack derivitives used digital filters - along with everything else that came after the EIII )

Fairlight Series III

There's likely others; but that's all I found.
Emulator II (probably the same analog filters as in III)
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq Mirage
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSM-1
Korg DSS-1

Those are the ones I know of, on top of yours. Then there's various drum machines with analog filters, like the EMU SP-1200, which I guess could be counted too. Seems those vintage-analog drum machines have become expensive and highly sought after lately. Might be worth emulating as well :hyper:

Richard
You forgot EMax (EMax II used digital filters, but EMax used analog filters). E-Mu also included, after some OS revision a very interesting technology called SE (Synthesis Enhanced), which worths much more being modulated than anything else in there, IMO.

Anyway, having worked with some of these, what I have to say is that, although they had their charm, I would never replace any of the new beasts like Kontakt, Falcon or HALion (which are actually much more than samplers anyway) with any emulation of an old sampler.

Actually, there was a sampler in software that I miss (kind of - it still works) which is the EmulatorX, because of several unique technologies, among them the trademarked Z-Plane Filters (these are really something worhts an emulation), and some of the SE algorithms, besides some other top-of-the-line technologies.

I very much regret that Creative gave up on EmulatorX. That is a sampler deserving to be mentioned.
Last edited by fmr on Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

Where's the akai? Also, the prophet 12 is digital osc through an all analog path that's worth a look.

Dasheesh wrote:Also, the prophet 12 is digital osc through an all analog path that's worth a look.
If we are just talking about digital oscillators through analog filters and not about samplers with analog filters (which is a difference...) there is more:
SCI Prophet VS, PPG Wave 2.2/2.3, Korg DW-8000, Kawai K3, Waldorf Microwave 1, Waldorf Wave, Waldorf Q+, Dave Smith Evolver, Modal 002, the upcoming Waldorf Quantum + Novation Peak and some others...

FWIW the ESQ-1 (i got one here) is also not really a sampler but more a synth with 3 digital Oscs (+ Osc Sync and Ringmod) and an analog fiter
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote: FWIW the ESQ-1 (i got one here) is also not really a sampler but more a synth with 3 digital Oscs (+ Osc Sync and Ringmod) and an analog fiter
You're right, and the same applies to the Ensoniq SQ-80. So, what exactly are we talking about here?
Fernando (FMR)

In the 80's Kurzweil was a big name in that area.

fmr wrote:
Ingonator wrote: FWIW the ESQ-1 (i got one here) is also not really a sampler but more a synth with 3 digital Oscs (+ Osc Sync and Ringmod) and an analog fiter
You're right, and the same applies to the Ensoniq SQ-80. So, what exactly are we talking about here?
Isn't this thread being more and more off topic anyway since a while? From Minimoog emulations it moved to discussing Repro-5 (where the public beta is not available yet...) to discussing all kinds of possible analog emulations and now discussing hybrid (digital/analog) samplers and last but not least also digital/anlog hybrid synths.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Maybe because the topic as such is over and done with :hihi:

Lock the thread then.

Dasheesh wrote:Where's the akai? Also, the prophet 12 is digital osc through an all analog path that's worth a look.
IIRC the Akais samplers all had digital filters, at least their most popular stuff like the S1000/2000/3000 series did. They also made a couple of synths, but goldenanalog was talking about Romplers/Samplers with analog filters, which is somewhat rare these days (especially considering all the new analog synths and reissues that are being released).

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

Richard_Synapse wrote:
Dasheesh wrote:Where's the akai? Also, the prophet 12 is digital osc through an all analog path that's worth a look.
IIRC the Akais samplers all had digital filters, at least their most popular stuff like the S1000/2000/3000 series did. They also made a couple of synths, but goldenanalog was talking about Romplers/Samplers with analog filters, which is somewhat rare these days (especially considering all the new analog synths and reissues that are being released).

Richard
Akai S612, S900 and S950 all had analog filters, AFAIK. Only from the S1000 onwards did they implement digital filters.

Anyway, all this discussion about filters in the samplers is a bit sterile, IMO. Filters were implemented in samplers mainly to mask aliasing. In samplers, it was the sampling that mattered. And, as I said, the DACs did have much more influence in the final sound than the filters.

And if you want filters in a sampler, Kontakt, Falcon and HALion have plenty of them (yes, analog too) :roll: and you always have TAL Sampler, if you want a sampler with truly emulation of the old DACs, including Emulator II and Akai S1000 (and an excellent emulation of analog filter too, built by the same guy that brought you a perfect Juno-60 emulation)

As I said, the only thing that you will not find in any of those is the Z-Plane filters.
Last edited by fmr on Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Instruments”