Roland Cloud

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
JX-3P Roland Cloud

sinemotor wrote:From what they say, their model is a rent-to-own. So after 12 months you'll get that D-50 for free.
Where they say so? Because I just read the FAQ on Roland Cloud site and there is nothing like this... :help:
Do You mean the loyalty program? But there aren't any details so far.

With the forthcoming Roland Cloud loyalty program, you'll be able to pick instruments and tools that you will have access to forever, regardless of your subscription status.
This thread at GS states that Roland has made specific detail announcements on facebook. I'm not interested enough to verify that, but there you go.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... oud-2.html

Ok, so basically 240$ (and later 360$) for one plugin. Not cheap. Lately I was buying synth plugins for less than 30$ each.
Yes, I can use all the cloud plugs for a year, but after that year I'll have just one plugin.
And the program so far is "forthcoming", nothing written in details, like the license transfer policy and such.
I'll pass.

"Seattle based Virtual Sonics" are the problem. While Roland continue to run around like a headless chicken, some bright spark has convinced them that software subscription is where the cash is.

Kumi_27 wrote:Ok, so basically 240$ (and later 360$) for one plugin. Not cheap.
Ouch, you could buy Zebra or Synthmaster for the same amount of money and easily have $$ leftover.

I just bought Codex for one subscription month's worth. Sunrizer is worth ~two months. ME80 around the same. Wavestation can be bought for 25$ too, at sale (even regular 50$ is not that much).
For 10$/month I can have Serum. For additional 10€ - Sylenth...

So one has to ask, if one really needs Pizzagogo, Fantasia or DigitalNativeDance, because in most cases it just boils down to some (few) presets...

Arturia V Collection - currently under 250E (on sale) o e payment and you own it :party:

Anything more than 10 bucks a month and Roland is overpriced. Not giving people the option to buy individual software is stupid, but on the brigs side it removes temptation :evil: I did the free month subscription and after a week realised I didn't want anything they made- bases covered. A V-Synth plug is surely coming (now that are making VSTs that don't plug out) and that may be harder to resist...
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Kumi_27 wrote:Ok, so basically 240$ (and later 360$) for one plugin. Not cheap. Lately I was buying synth plugins for less than 30$ each.
Yes, I can use all the cloud plugs for a year, but after that year I'll have just one plugin.
And the program so far is "forthcoming", nothing written in details, like the license transfer policy and such.
I'll pass.
For reference, I'm pretty sure I paid $400 for my D-50 in 2015, including shipping.

(edit: in balance, that GUI looks way the hell better than editing on the real thing as well through freaking MIDI Quest. Also my aftertouch is screwed)

Codestation wrote::lol: BWA HA HA HA

This reminds me of that time when I was young and I met the girl of my dreams, and we went home, and did what came natural, and then I found that she had a dick.

Ah youth.
That made me LOL , pretty much sums up this cloud business.

There are so many good emulations out there I can't see the point of this. Roland should know by now "their" sound is pretty much free. I give this cloud about a year, maybe 2 then they will be payware.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Dear Roland, I want to pay once for a synth, not once per month.

I just posted experiences with the subscription process, the new Roland Cloud Manager software and the new D-50 emulation here (all of that done in the last 20 hours):

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1#p6813501
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Kumi_27 wrote:Ok, so basically 240$ (and later 360$) for one plugin.
And that's only if you want it for one year! :lol:

On one hand, I totally disagree with anyone who thinks softsynths should be valued at $10 each. How is a company supposed to stay in business that way?

On the other hand, Roland Cloud a joke.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Very good commercial synths can be bought for 50$ or even less. Think ME80, Sunrizer, Korg Legacy.
Many for less than 100$ - Synthmaster, miniSynX, OP-X Pro II, Legend...

I'd value the D-50 for 100$ at best, because new and nostalgia much.
But more like 75 top.
240+$ is a bad joke for just reusing old DSP code and a bit of 30 year old short samples.

Korg did better (like polyphony and filter resonance) and their M1 or Wavestation is 50$ each (or both, when on sale :D ).

PS. And if I'd want "Roland Sound" then I can play my Juno-D, bought for 150$ :hihi:

deastman wrote:On one hand, I totally disagree with anyone who thinks softsynths should be valued at $10 each. How is a company supposed to stay in business that way?
There is a distinction about what things "should" be valued at and what the "are" valued at. The reality is, many synths are only worth about $10. Not because people think that they "should" have that value, but, because the competition sells similar products for that price.

I think that it's fair to say though, that based on what the competition offers, that no Roland plugin to date is worth $240, let alone $360. Sure, some people may be willing to pay that, but I'm again talking about an aggregate value metric. You can't really determine market value based on a single, or even a few sales.

Return to “Instruments”