Blue Cat's Destructor - Beyond Distortion and Amp Simulation, Now Available!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Destructor V2

Blue Cat Audio wrote:
When I said 'futzing with filter curves', I was talking about the frontend (GUI)
I think we both talked about the same thing. The problem with "physical-modeling-style GUI" is that you have to choose your microphones, cab models, placement, room etc. That's exactly the kind of thing that the perceptual model that was chosen here is supposed to avoid, so that it is much faster to get the tone you want, without being an expert in acoustics or physics :-).
Blue Cat Audio wrote:It's definitely a different approach from existing amp sims, and that's also why the plug-in is much more than that. But I think that once you have done the shift, it's very hard to come back to "old style" simulations that try to mimic the real world - the workflow is in many cases much more efficient - but you have to get used to it first.
I understand what you're saying, and I do appreciate the design narrative you envisioned.

However in my experience, I was often able to get the best sounds out of Destructor (for amp sims) by using a cab modeler after it. Sometimes bypassing the post-filter, sometimes not. With a lot of experimentation, I was able to get the best sounds from Destructor compared to a number of very popular amp sims, but only with the editors and sometimes with the help external of IRs.

I also personally feel that the 'easy mode' is basically worthless for someone that's looking for a specific sound such as I am. If one is looking for a generic good guitar sounds, then it's probably fantastic. If one wants/needs to emulate a specific sound then the editors are the only way.

I think this is really a fantastic thing. If there are users that find the easy mode useful then I think you have succeeded in making a product that simultaneously caters to "plug and play" users and tweakers. Very few products manage to satisfy both types of users. It's an achievement in itself.

Perhaps even a simple addition would be the extension of a simple IR loader, or the ability to insert a plug-in before each section. Sure you can do this with 3 destructor instances (which I've already done a few times), but that's not as fun! I'm sure that's beyond what you wanted to achieve with this product, but I'll still make my suggestion. :ud:

I also want to re-iterate that I really appreciate you adjusting the demo. I am not a fan of the audio-pause still, but you earned at least a few quick sales by making the adjustments you did. (A number of musicians on IRC also purchased Destructor recently because of it) :tu:

Computer Music review (#238 January 2017):

9/10 "making tone shaping easy, fun and highly productive"
cm loved the sound, the two modes, the styles and the value for money, but were not so keen on the Gate and Comp settings in the presets.

------------------------
User-assignable/editable Easy knobs would be a great addition. So that we can put exactly the knobs we want on the Easy view.

PS I could not see a way to customize the Gate or Comp modules using the 1400 visual styles. Is that possible?
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

DarkStar wrote:Computer Music review (#238 January 2017):

....but were not so keen on the Gate and Comp settings in the presets.
I'm still absolutely loving Destructor, and I know that KVR can be nit-picky and ridiculously harsh as posters ride their favorite hobby-horses. So that software better fits their particular, and often exotic, needs. :P

But .... Not to beat this particular battered horse again, it would be reallyreallyreally nice to have a global off, that can be set as default, for the gate and comp. For one thing, right clicking on the ratio buttons does NOT currently zero out the input gain at the end of that chain. Not trying to re-imagine the plug, as some posters have done above. Just noting that many people have gates and comps that we strongly prefer to the ones in Destructor.

On the other hand... it's motivating me to tweak a lot of presets, kill the gate and comp out of them, and save the results as my own. So there's that.

I also personally feel that the 'easy mode' is basically worthless for someone that's looking for a specific sound such as I am. If one is looking for a generic good guitar sounds, then it's probably fantastic. If one wants/needs to emulate a specific sound then the editors are the only way.
Yes if you are looking for a very specific tone, the extended editors are for you!

@GreyLion: we already have some interesting stuff running in the lab :wink:

Blue Cat Audio wrote:@GreyLion: we already have some interesting stuff running in the lab :wink:

Yes!

:party:
:hug:

Blue Cat Audio wrote:@GreyLion: we already have some interesting stuff running in the lab :wink:

Is that a lock next to the editor? :clap: :hyper:

Robert Randolph wrote:
Blue Cat Audio wrote:Is that a lock next to the editor? :clap: :hyper:
There are actually a couple of them :-)

I wish a lot more developers would include parameter/module locking by default when switching between presets, especially when there are more than a few controls that can dramatically change the sound. Would make sound design exploring and preset creation quicker and more intuitive.

Blue Cat's Destructor 1.1 is here, including locks, new visual styles and more! If you have missed the intro offer, you will be happy to know that end of year promotions are now available:).

Enjoy! :party:

I am kinda interested in this plugin, but it bothers me that it has a limited amount of points(only 3) in waveshaper editor. Why is it so?

Because it is not "just" a waveshaper :-). Also, you can already create most useful shapes with only 3 points (there are actually 6, if you make the shape asymmetric) and other controls. We believe that adding more points would only make things more confusing for the purpose of the Destructor.

Hi folks,

We have just finished a video series in 4 episodes that shows Destructor being used in the studio to record and mix guitar tracks.

As you can see, it is as easy as picking up a preset and tweaking it to your taste :-).

Direct links to individual episodes from the blog are also reproduced below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScFdL5wOIlw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QXuNzUxSqE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATArkfqmOLY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM0436u3wIY

Enjoy!

I gave it another try today with my Stratocaster. Just Wow! I got a SRV sound like I have never had it before. Stupendously great!

Pädy wrote:I gave it another try today with my Stratocaster. Just Wow! I got a SRV sound like I have never had it before. Stupendously great!
:tu: Would be glad to hear you playing it! :-)

Return to “Effects”