iRig Pro Duo, or iConnect MIDI 4+?

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Not sure which is the best way to go when using with an iPad? I'll occasionally be using a laptop as well..so I'm loooking for opinions on which unit is better?

Thanks

Depends what you want to do with them really

I connect midi doesn't have any audio inputs so if you want to use it to record vocals or guitar etc it's no use whereas the iRig pro duo can be used for that purpose.

If however you want to use your iPad as a sound module for your laptop then the iconnect is better as it avoids going through converting back and forth from digital to audio.

The iRig is also much more portable than the iconnect 4 as it can run on batteries while the iconnect needs mains power - but will charge the iPad
Instant human just add coffee

Thanks. Yeah the thing I discovered on closer examination is that the iConnect has no direct audio out. You MUST use it with a computer to get audio out to say a mixer for live gigs.

The iRig is more complicted to setup using the power bridge, but it does seem to have EVERYTHING needed. Probs the better option.

Instant human just add coffee

yeah looked at that, I might have another look :)

ahhh, but the USB A port cannot support a USB 'B' port only MIDI keyboard :( Which brings me back to the original problem. Again the iRig looks to be the answer, even though I really like the simplicity (hardware) of the iConnect.

iConnectAudio4+ FAQ
Which has a list of known working midi keyboards

Both the iConnect and iRig are great interfaces. iRig usually comes with some great software, that might tip the scales.

thanks for that. I read the manual and it made no mention of using that usb A port for a MIDI controller keyboard...I'll check it further.

re the Irig yeah agree, but the cabling, especially if you include the power bridge and both MIDI cables can get messy haha. As I wrote I do like the simplicty of the iConnect hardware :)

raintalk wrote:iConnectAudio4+ FAQ
Which has a list of known working midi keyboards

Both the iConnect and iRig are great interfaces. iRig usually comes with some great software, that might tip the scales.
Excellent thansk for pointing that out to me. Yes I found the answer in that FAQ, funny how the manual made no mention, well not that a search of the document revealed anyway haha!

If MIDI is most important, then iConnect might be the better choice. For analog audio, it will need to be the iRig.

Regarding MIDI, the iConnect has you covered. USB A, USB B, and MIDI 5-pin DIN inputs/outputs. The iRig does not use standard cables, requiring the use of special cables/connectors. I believe they supply you with the necessary cables, but if one breaks, you need to re-order. The iRig looks limited, though, accepting USB-A, lightning and USB-micro. What's missing is USB-B which may be important for you. If you have a USB-B MIDI controller, I am not sure how you will use that with iRig. Also, let's say you hook up a MIDI controller with USB-micro, then how will you use your iPad since there is no other available USB slot? Maybe there is something I am missing. Also, I am not sure you can use a USB hub as I believe it will need USB-B to work (double-check on that).

This is what is so nice about iConnect. I had their very first model (black metal) and it was really fantastic. Solidly built and it just worked. I was able to connect multiple 5-pin MIDI Controllers/rack mounts, USB-B and USB-micro keyboard controllers, a computer and iPad and everything just worked so well together. I was able to control a MIDI rack from a USB controller or even the iPad.

I highly recommend doing research on the iRig to see what types of controllers will really work with it and if you can use a USB hub. Be sure you can use a USB MIDI keyboard AND the iPad at the same time.

If going the iRig way, I was looking at the Kenton UBS Host MK II http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/ ... host.shtml about $200 (Oz) shipped. But if I factor in the cost of this AND the cost of the iRig package (bearing in mind I'd want the powerbridge too) the iConnect looks to be a good value choice. The iConnect Audio 2+ I am talking about. The Audio 4+ is over $400 out here haha!

Thanks for your post, it made a lot of sense.

BiancaNeve wrote:Or there's always this one....

https://www.iconnectivity.com/products/ ... udio2plus/
Now, if that ain't cool. Currently I am using my iPad and my Mac separately, except for Logic Remote.
But if I ever decided I'd need an interface, this one looks great.
And I could actually get an Animoog track in my Logic project. Well, not two of them at the same time though, as far as I understood this.
Tele
Listen to me at soundcklick:
www.soundclick.com/wewritesongs

telebunke wrote: ...I could actually get an Animoog track in my Logic project...
Tele
You can do this with an app called MusicIO and your Lightning to USB cable. MusicIO allows you to effectively use your IPAD as a sound module. There's another app that does the same thing but I can't think of the name of it at the moment.

Here's the link to MusicIO:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/musicio ... 03016?mt=8

A YouTube example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-ilcaUFT-k
"...Save the bones for Henry Jones, 'cause Henry don't eat no meat..."

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”