Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise
thecontrolcentre
KVRAF

21109 posts since 27 Jul, 2005, from the wilds of wanny

Postby thecontrolcentre; Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:13 am Re: Why are all budget recording desks designed to ruin your neck?

annode wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:
tbarnaby wrote:
annode wrote:I used to use this Office Max corner desk w/modifications.

Am I the only one not able to see the pictures in annode's post?

I cant see 'em either ...

I'm using an Ikea desk that I was given years ago. Its totally adjustable for height. The shelf hides all the cable mess away.

That desk(and others configured like it) seem awfully difficult to navigate.
The lap qwerty and mon screens are almost out of reach. This sort of stuff is why I just went deskless. These configs just seem tiring. I know when I do music, i'm at it for hrs on end. I would hate to have to be reaching for stuff and leaning forward to see things getting eye and back stress.

I use a remote qwerty & mouse for the laptop, to keep everything (Push, midi keys, etc) within easy reach. The screens are as close as I need ... and low enough to avoid a "cricky" neck. I've used this configuration for a while, and it works well for me. There are hardware synths, a rack & mixer to the left, and behind the seating position (in a U shape) which I can reach by simply turning my chair.
Jace-BeOS
KVRAF

3782 posts since 7 Jan, 2005, from Corporate States of America

Postby Jace-BeOS; Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:12 am Re: Why are all budget recording desks designed to ruin your neck?

Most stuff is designed for looks and "features", not ergonomics. When you design for ergonomics, the construction tends to get more complicated and more costly, especially when you still need to accommodate looks and features.

The biggest need is to accommodate differences in users, in things such as height and distance for things. Most computer display stands are too high and too far away for my comfort. I actually removed the entire top rack/display stand from my desk because it wasted desktop space without adding comfort or utility.

Some of the more expensive desks have height adjustment built into the legs.

Most desks I've seen do a lot of things wrong that seem to be ideas no builder wants to stop perpetuating, like immobile display stands, and keyboard trays that can't possibly be ergonomic (or even fit above your legs if seated properly, like the one for my two desks, neither of which I installed).

And then there's just lazy construction. The rubber strip around the edge of my desk's top surface was glued on upside-down, leaving the curved edge facing the floor and the sharp cut edge against my wrists/arms. According to reviews I've seen elsewhere, mine wasn't the only one that this was done to. Even considering it to be a less expensive desk, spending $600 wasn't a casual thing to me and it hurts when i found out how much was wrong with the thing, at that price. I saw my desk at a store and failed to spend time trying it out, testing the ergonomics. My fault.

For some reason, it's easy and cheap to build and sell stuff that looks the part but doesn't follow through on needs... Too bad cheap doesn't really mean inexpensive.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud
annode
KVRAF

6005 posts since 28 Mar, 2003, from Location: Location

Postby annode; Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:08 pm Re: Why are all budget recording desks designed to ruin your neck?

Used to be ppl were more apt to buying rack mount effects and synth modules, but the age of the gadget is the thing now. Equipment has gotten smaller more modular like and top surface mountable.
Looking at 'thecontrolcentre's' desk for example,you get a feeling for that. I, on the other hand have rack gear mostly and just one small surface for a drum machine, pad controller or qwerty. If I'm not using any of those, they are tucked away on the floor.
The other, 'performance' gear, I keep off to my side. I don't need to be faced into the audio sweet spot to play the keys or a sampler, so I have no reason to have them in front of me on a desk.

All these little surface modules need desk footprints. You can't stack them or mount them. You just have to spread them around and hope for the best I guess. Some of the euro-synths are rackable but I don't see ppl racking them. They are sitting on the desk surface taking up space. :shrug:

If I was in need of such a desk, I'd design one with a big round wheel cut into the center of the whole desk surface and put all the gadgets on that. When you want something, you just spin the wheel until it's in front of you. (the wheel can only make one full rotation so cabling doesn't tangle) :tu:

The OP said he was happy with the first reply saying to just use what you have...so now we're talking about desks.
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x
thecontrolcentre
KVRAF

21109 posts since 27 Jul, 2005, from the wilds of wanny

Postby thecontrolcentre; Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:41 am Re: Why are all budget recording desks designed to ruin your neck?

Platform from Output looks good. Only available in US and Canada atm.

tbarnaby
KVRer

13 posts since 30 Jul, 2017

Postby tbarnaby; Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:07 am Re: Why are all budget recording desks designed to ruin your neck?

annode wrote:
tbarnaby wrote:
annode wrote:I used to use this Office Max corner desk w/modifications.

Am I the only one not able to see the pictures in annode's post?

First time I'm hearing this. I checked it out and it's "Google Photos".
I didn't know when I put my pix on there server they wouldn't let me embed them onto a forum page. I had two of the pix on one host that does let you.(showing above)
I'll drag the other two in as well later.(the Office Max desk)

They are visible now. Thanks a ton!
tbarnaby
KVRer

13 posts since 30 Jul, 2017

Postby tbarnaby; Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:40 am Re: Why are all budget recording desks designed to ruin your neck?

Another related question ...

As I'm looking at standard computer desks, I see that many of them have glass tops. Is a flat glass surface worse than a flat wood surface as far as reflections go? For now, I'm assuming the answer is "yes" and not seriously considering those.
annode
KVRAF

6005 posts since 28 Mar, 2003, from Location: Location

Postby annode; Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:46 pm Re: Why are all budget recording desks designed to ruin your neck?

Wood or glass I wouldn't expect any perceivable difference.
As for the pix,your very welcome. :)

Considering a desk reflective surface, it's surely there, but should it be a consideration when designing your setup? Have a look at Junkie XL`s desk setup. (link below)
He doesn't seem to be neither bothered by reflection,(combing) or fear that it might contribute to bad mixing.(or he wouldn't be working this way) He is a professional composer/film score producer...although he doesn't strike me as being generally technical minded, he gets the job done and doesn't sweat the small stuff.

I do feel that the best listening environment that can be had is important when new ears in the home studio are being trained for critical listening. Once ears become seasoned, I expect they are good in many types of environments.
- scroll down to Dark Tower studio time 1/4
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCor9SN ... 2aBvAwBptw
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x
Previous

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)