Use a footpedal to enable/disable Y-axis

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone
i was wandering... is there a way to assign a footswitch to the Y-axis? Sometimes i find myself having problems with the y-axis activated (ok, i got my LinnStrument less than a week ago...) as it can trigger unwanted effects if my finger is not placed exactly where i want (non-relative mode) or i accidentally move the finger on the y-axis when pressing/releasing the button (in relative mode).
So i was thinking it could be cool to have it assign to a foot switch. Example: fast lead solo with y-axis off, to avoid any unwanted modulation and final long note with y-axis on so it can be held and modulated (or effected or whatever is assigned to the y-axis).

I have a second quick question, as i am really ignorant about switches: if i want to have 2 switches (for example one for changing presets (preset+) and the other for the sustain(CC64)) that are working only when i press them, then i need a momentary (also known as 1-way?) double switch normally open (what would change if closed?) with single 1/4" stereo jack, right?

Thank you
Piero

Am I the only one? :D

Hi Peiro,

Regarding using a foot switch to enable/disable sending of Y-axis data, there is no current way of doing this. However, I suspect you may be using Y-axis as a tradional Modulation wheel is used, which will not work well because it is difficult to always press the lower part of the note pad. Can you please tell me how you are using Y-axis and what your musical objective is for using it as you are? Perhaps I can suggest a way to use LinnStrument's various methods to better achieve your musical goal. For example, some new LinnStrument players use Y-axis to add vibrato because this reminds them of a Mod wheel, But it is better to perform a vibrato by wiggling your finger left and right. The best way to use LinnStrument's Y-axis control is for a continuous timbre adjustment, in which any performed timbre position is acceptable. In synthesis, an example would be pulse with modulation of a pulse waveform. In acoustic instrument emulation, good examples are violin bowing position, guitar picking position, sax enbouchure, etc.

Regarding the foot switch input, you can you a single or dual foot switch, and it can be Normally Open or Normally closed, because LinnStrument automatically senses the switch's type when power is connected. This is explained on the Hooking It Up page (accessed from the LinnStrument Support page), where two foot switch models are also recommended.

Hello Roger
Sorry for the late reply. I would like to use it for stuff like adding feedback or activate a wah effect. Or for example change the volume of a specific layer in a multilayered sound (this could be useful to fake a feedback). Some of this things can be easily done using maybe the pressure but on iOS (which i use 99% of the time) not a lot of apps have the possibility to assign the pressure to an fx or a knob.
Thank you

You could try setting Y-axis to Relative mode, in which the first touch always sends a specific value (for example zero) then forward Y movement merely adds to that value. Relative mode is access in Per-Split Settings > Timbre/Y column. Holding the Relative button allows you to set the starting value.

thank you Roger, it is exactly what i am using now. Then maybe would be nice (it just came to my mind, maybe i am saying something stupid) to have a "hybrid" mode where no matter where you press it start on a specific value (like it is now when relative) but then sliding up will bring you to 127 (or 0 if down). Of course in that case if i press almost on top of the button it will go up to 127 really fast (or to 0 really slow) when sliding. For example: i press the button 3mm before the upper limit of the button with a relative of 64, i will have only 3mm to reach 127 [+63] while i will have 14mm down to reach 0 [-64] (as the button is 17mm). Does it make any sense?
I know you have a lot of features request and probably other are more important than this :)
piero

The basic problem is that with each update, Apple appears to be changing its mind about how much power it wants to allow through the adaptor's extra Lightning port for the LinnStrument. With this last firmware update of the $40 adaptor, it appeared that they had decided to let more current through, but either a subsequent iOS update or some condition I'm not aware of is making the adaptor reduce the current it is willing to supply. So if you want to stop it blinking, there are three solutions described on the Hooking It Up page:

1) if you have a large LinnStrument, connect a power supply to it.

2) If you have a small or large LinnStrument, use a USB Y-cable that terminates in both data and power flat USB plugs, and connect a USB power adapter to the power plug.

3) Use LinnStrument's Low Power mode.

Thank you Roger, i will then go for the low power.

Back to the main topic... i started to use the lower row to control the CC74 and somehow it helps (for example on roli's 5D i set the y-axis on ON and to a fixed cc74=0 (if OFF the app gives an automatic 64 value) and then slide the fader on the lower row where i need it)

I take advantage of this message to ask for a feature: having the low row slider on the left side (so i would call it "left column"), so the slider can be modified with the left hand while playing with the right.

thank you again
piero

Hi Piero,

LinnStrument's touch sensor does not permit a touch to move continuously in the vertical direction from row to row. This is stated on both the FAQ and Specifications pages:

"Y-axis (forward-backward) movement is limited to the 17 mm vertical dimension of each note pad. Sliding your finger vertically across rows will result in a new note when the touch enters the adjacent row's note pad."

Regarding your solution to the Y-axis issue with the Seaboard 5D app, the problem is that you are effectively using LinnStrument like a traditional MIDI keyboard's Mod wheel, which seems to waste LinnStrument's 3D sending (5D by Roli's definition). If the problem is that the sounds in Seaboard 5D have their Y-axis response optimized for the Seaboard's longer Y-axis range, then the correct solution is either altering the app's sounds for LinnStrument's Y-axis range, or altering LinnStrument Y-axis range to fit the app's sounds. In LinnStrument, you can:

1) Change the output range of sent Y-axis messages. For example, you can change it to vary between 0 and 63 instead of 0 and 127.

2) Change Y-axis output to Relative mode, in which the first sent value--regardless of finger position-- is 64 (or any value you choose from 0-127), then subsequent Y-axis movements merely increase or decrease the initial value.

These two settings are described on the Panel Settings page, Per-Split Settings tab, and search the page for the "Timbre/Y" section.

Hi Roger,
would a expression pedal like this actually work on the linnstrument? https://www.thomann.de/gb/maudio_expression_pedal.htm
I would use it to have 2 different sounds at the extreme sides of a CC message (sound 1 on 0, sound 2 on 127 and a mix in between).
So i could use the y axis to adjust the timbre (for example with cc74), and use the pedal to blend the sounds (using another CC of course)
Thank you
piero

Hi Piero,

Unfortunately LinnStrument's Foot Switch input can only be used for foot switches and not for expression pedals. But an expression pedal that sends MIDI can be mixed with LinnStrumement's MIDI stream at your computer's MIDI interface.

Ah ok, got it. :) thank you

Return to “Roger Linn Design”