Is there a synth routing that would change a group of settings on every new recieved midi note?

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is what I'm trying to achieve -

After my midi keyboard sends a release midi note, I want the synth settings to change in preparation for the next note. But - this the important part - it can't be syncd to tempo or have a randomly oscillating lfo. It has to change based on midi note on/off signals however it works.

The only way I've achieved similar is with an arpeggiator sending cc settings/changes on each new step. But I want to do this without an arp and really precise timing. It's a performance orientated thing.

I haven't given a synth because I'm trying to find out if in general it's possible or the feature/hidden name for a synth parameter.

I might be wrong but is 'CV/control voltage' only to do with note on messages?

Bank and Program change MIDI messages are what woud be used to change between pactches. They're different from MIDI notes, so Im not quite sure how you'd do that without knowing what host etc you're using.

CVs have nothing to do with MIDI at all; a control voltage is a voltage; its entirely in the analogue domain, where MIDI is digital (its what the 'D' in MIDI stands for).
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

jumpercable wrote:After my midi keyboard sends a release midi note, I want the synth settings to change in preparation for the next note. But - this the important part - it can't be syncd to tempo or have a randomly oscillating lfo. It has to change based on midi note on/off signals however it works.
This is the kind of thing that the Environment in Logic was designed to do. You basically set up a bunch of MIDI filters that do things like catch a note-off event (I'm assuming this is from a specific note) and then inject a bunch of messages. Michael Brecker famously used Logic live for this reason - and had a very complex session built to do it.

There are options outside the DAW itself: Plogue Bidule or Max, for example. Or you can use a synth/sampler with scripting support such as Kontakt, Falcon or Halion. Or use BlueCat's Plug'n'script.

whyterabbyt wrote:Bank and Program change MIDI messages are what woud be used to change between pactches. They're different from MIDI notes, so Im not quite sure how you'd do that without knowing what host etc you're using.

CVs have nothing to do with MIDI at all; a control voltage is a voltage; its entirely in the analogue domain, where MIDI is digital (its what the 'D' in MIDI stands for).

Sorry - I meant in some of the analogue influenced soft synths I own, they often label midi in as a faux control voltage. (Think Bazille uses this terminology) But I can understand the confusion the way I phrased it.

Gamma-UT wrote:
jumpercable wrote:After my midi keyboard sends a release midi note, I want the synth settings to change in preparation for the next note. But - this the important part - it can't be syncd to tempo or have a randomly oscillating lfo. It has to change based on midi note on/off signals however it works.
This is the kind of thing that the Environment in Logic was designed to do. You basically set up a bunch of MIDI filters that do things like catch a note-off event (I'm assuming this is from a specific note) and then inject a bunch of messages. Michael Brecker famously used Logic live for this reason - and had a very complex session built to do it.

There are options outside the DAW itself: Plogue Bidule or Max, for example. Or you can use a synth/sampler with scripting support such as Kontakt, Falcon or Halion. Or use BlueCat's Plug'n'script.

Yeah you've got the nail on the head - kontakt is able to do exactly this. Kinda frustrating to gain one feature you lose the whole fun and character of a modulating synth.

That's interesting with Logic - I used to own but switched over to Live. I suppose what makes creating routings complicated is how an instrument is meant to react with polyphony... When I guess I'd just like it to react monophonically.

Bidule or Max would be a bit pricey considering it'd just be for this function. I've Reaktor but never create instruments within it as it kinda gets to too many layers of abstraction away from music making.

Basically I guess - if you're thinking an external solution - whatever you create would basically be sending a load of cc changes at each midi note-off to the synth. But then it'd have to alternate so every 2nd event returns it to the original settings.... Hmm. Ya can see why it quickly gets a bit complicated rather than the synth doing it internally.

I haven't tried it yet but Cabbage is meant to be able to make MIDI-only processors: http://cabbageaudio.com/#features

That's a free option with perhaps a lengthier learning curve than something like Logic or Bidule.

If you don't mind routing MIDI in and out of the sequencer/VST host using something like IAC, the standalone of Bidule may do the job - that is free (I think).

jumpercable wrote:Basically I guess - if you're thinking an external solution - whatever you create would basically be sending a load of cc changes at each midi note-off to the synth. But then it'd have to alternate so every 2nd event returns it to the original settings.... Hmm. Ya can see why it quickly gets a bit complicated rather than the synth doing it internally.
You'd probably want to gate it on something like a foot pedal or other MIDI controller rather than try to inject loads of CCs on every note event. It's surprising how quickly sequencers choke on MIDI data – I've had to throttle data out of my Linnstrument to avoid the host missing note-ons.

The advantage of an environment like Bidule, Max or whatever is that you can build in fairly advanced performance logic so you can interpret combinations of gestures as a 'command'.
Last edited by Gamma-UT on Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jumpercable wrote:But then it'd have to alternate so every 2nd event returns it to the original settings....
How would it work for you if a m,idi tool just sends the incoming notes alternating between two instances loaded with (slightly) different patches?
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Return to “Sound Design”