Superior Drummer 3?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
dfh Superior (incl. Custom & Vintage) Superior Drummer 2

Aloysius wrote:I never want my drums to play exactly how I enter them on the grid.

Pass the popcorn ...
use REAPER. it's got a MIDI randomizer.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Aloysius wrote:I never want my drums to play exactly how I enter them on the grid.
I do, because I know exactly what I'm doing.

I like the ''players'' to have their own personalities. Can you imagine having jancivil on bass, jancivil on drums, jancivil on synths, jancivil on guitars, jancivil on vocals, jancivil the groupie, jancivil in the audience. There's way too much jancivil in there.

One for the narcissist only imho.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

incubus wrote:
Aloysius wrote:I think most of the Toontrack kits have a sameness to them. Like they have been running everything through the same mellow channel strip since day one. It's professional but boring.
Well, I think that is the nature of the beast. All of them have that to some degree.
I haven't use them all. BFD 2 and BFD 2-oriented libraries are for the most part, if not all, pretty flat and just dry. IE: you have to treat them, you have to have drum producer chops.
BFD3's Factory Library is more present. However the kits and individual pieces vary pretty dramatically. Joe Barresi Platinum samples are Joe's sound so both the full and the eco product are drums run thru his signal chain. The Eco additionally are compressed.
incubus wrote: Plus with samples shit ain't glued together like real drums even with bleed and such so takes a lot of work imo.
That's very true. But recording real drums is a huge task, so engineers do develop a set methodology. But I use drums very differently according to the rest of the arrangement. I still created default templates because set up can take so long.

ONE thing with BFD is how 'ambient' or roomy you want and of course bleed is big here.

[

I
[never work in surround, so I'll plan on skipping 4 and 5 completely, saving nearly 100gb.
me too, i am happy that this is possible...coz my daw studio one 3 doesn not support surround and i dont need it or work with it.
140 gb is still much but i already deinstalled some komlete 11 ultimate plugins i dont need including some large bass and and of course drum libaries :P

jinotsuh wrote:$147.59 (or $142.02 with N3WS10 code and pay in pounds) at Time and Space
mayby i missed something but its 147 gbp and not dollar right? ^^

Aloysius wrote:I think most of the Toontrack kits have a sameness to them. Like they have been running everything through the same mellow channel strip since day one. It's professional but boring. Nothing ever really grabs your attention. It doesn't seem to matter who the engineer or producer was. The sound is just the same, always.

These kits are massive in size. I don't think it will be worth my while upgrading unless I get a sudden GAS attack. You never know when those attacks can occur, so I won't rule it out completely.
Yeah that is one thing I found with EZD2 is that sameness in sound and that there were no 3rd party sets for it.

But BFD has many good 3rd party sets from companies like Platinum Samples, Chocolate Audio, Drum Drops, etc. which can give BFD 3 a whole new sound.

Mind you, the song building and pattern features in the TT line is quite inventive.

Kinh wrote:
Burillo wrote:why buy synths when i can just as easily buy synth loops played by real people? does that make soft synths overpriced?
No, because you play softsynths. You dont play drummers. Unless you call holding a note down with your index finger playing.
I don't think you know what you're talking about. We play drums just like we play softsynths. We program drums just like we program softsynths.

Well mostly programs, but here's an example of playing:

https://youtu.be/pt4rUxAAkpY

shidostrife wrote:
Kinh wrote:
Burillo wrote:why buy synths when i can just as easily buy synth loops played by real people? does that make soft synths overpriced?
No, because you play softsynths. You dont play drummers. Unless you call holding a note down with your index finger playing.
I don't think you know what you're talking about. We play drums just like we play softsynths. We program drums just like we program softsynths.

Yeah but you can buy oneshots too. If you own ableton or battery you dont even need to buy anything. I perform all my beats too on pads but i dont need to spend $$$ on xtra samples.

Kinh wrote:
shidostrife wrote:
Kinh wrote:

Yeah but you can buy oneshots too. If you own ableton or battery you dont even need to buy anything. I perform all my beats too on pads but i dont need to spend $$$ on xtra samples.
The extra samples add realism by using them in a round robin format. It eliminates the phony machine gun sound on rolls and fills.

Kinh wrote:
shidostrife wrote:
Kinh wrote:

As mentioned, the extra samples are for round robins and velocity layers for more realistic playing.

SD3 looks overpriced, but see how many drums it contained (not just the samples). True, you could buy oneshots. But how many oneshots packs would you need to buy to match the number of drums in SD3? Plus the price of the engine.

I personally wouldn't buy SD3 because the "factory" drums are simply too much. I'd rather buy the bare engine and some expansion packs that I really need. Would be more useful for me without spending as much.

shidostrife wrote:I'd rather buy the bare engine and some expansion packs that I really need. Would be more useful for me without spending as much.
This.

JohnPativens wrote:
shidostrife wrote:I'd rather buy the bare engine and some expansion packs that I really need. Would be more useful for me without spending as much.
This.
I think it's a dead end street, discussing this. We had the same discussion about the Kontakt 5 upgrade. Selling the application update without the library update would have to cost the same, because toontrack have calculated their cost, divided by the number of paying customers to break even with their financial investment.

Software isn't a physical good which costs a certain amount to produce an additional copy of. After the initial investment, copies/licenses of the software are mostly profit. So there's no reason for toontrack to deduct any amount and selling just the application. It's a mixed calculation.
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

medienhexer wrote:
JohnPativens wrote:
This.
I think it's a dead end street, discussing this. We had the same discussion about the Kontakt 5 upgrade. Selling the application update without the library update would have to cost the same, because toontrack have calculated their cost, divided by the number of paying customers to break even with their financial investment.

Software isn't a physical good which costs a certain amount to produce an additional copy of. After the initial investment, copies/licenses of the software are mostly profit. So there's no reason for toontrack to deduct any amount and selling just the application. It's a mixed calculation.
I know, I meant, I'd rather buy other drum VSTs which are cheaper and contains less libraries out of the box, such as EZD, AD, or SSD, or even SD2, rather than buying SD3. But that's my personal preference.

You can get it (for €50 extra) on an usb drive via best service.
But even it looks and sounds interesting i'm quite happy with what i get with Logic, especially after the latest update.
I also would prefer a cheaper entree and buy the sets i would want.
There are many much cheaper things which sounds as good for me.
For €99 i would bite.

Return to “Instruments”