Looking for decent amp simulation for clean guitar.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Bombadil wrote:Another vote for Scuffham S-Gear.
S-Gear is great for clean sounds. I have found TH3 pretty good for clean sounds too.

fese wrote: I also experimented a bit on the front end, putting pedals in front of the DI (e.g. Soul Food or the cheap-o Joyo American with almost no distortion, or a comp pedal), which can help. I also had some good results using the DI in my old ART Pro Channel, which is a solid state/tube preamp, driving the input a bit and using the opto comp and EQ.
Shit, i was gonna do this with eleven rack into di box but didnt think it id make a differene.

I like the bx_bassdude for clean sounds. There is also one or two amps in bx_rockrack that will work for this role too.

Then there is GTR that I still find good value in, mostly the Fenders for a clean sound.

Kinh wrote:
fese wrote: I also experimented a bit on the front end, putting pedals in front of the DI (e.g. Soul Food or the cheap-o Joyo American with almost no distortion, or a comp pedal), which can help. I also had some good results using the DI in my old ART Pro Channel, which is a solid state/tube preamp, driving the input a bit and using the opto comp and EQ.
Shit, i was gonna do this with eleven rack into di box but didnt think it id make a differene.
Yeah, pedals can do the trick sometimes. Some pretty famous "clean" sounds have used drive or fuzz boxes with the gain pulled right back on the pedal and/or the volume rolled back on the guitar. Hendrix did this with a Fuzz Face for example

Hi, I have been looking for clean amp sim as well, for Rhodes tones though. Have tried all major amp sims.
Best I found for me was bx_megasingle, clean channel and especially the clean tele presets. When going into a light distortion the overtones sound rounder, less harsh, more ringing, than with other sims. Vermillion I like as well and interstingly enough the free kuassa amplifikation lite, clean channel, I found to be decent.

I tried Airwindows Guitar Conditioner straight into a speaker impulse (a fender champ). I gave me one of the best clean sound I have ever had ITB.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

I've demoed and purchased a whole range of guitar amps including bias FX and guitar rig. Personally, Amplitube's fender collection 2 has the best clean tones I've heard--particularly the '57 custom deluxe and super reverb.

I find on these forums a lot of guitarists play metal/ shred music so plugins like bias FX sound good for them. imo, the clean sound for bias fx is fairly average, certainly not worth all the hype. I'd be interested to try out some of the other suggestions on here.

Bias Amp 2 can do a great clean sound, - my current favorite is using the stock HiWatt clean with minor personal tweaks. Other Bias products are able to do nice cleans as well.

Bassdude is very capable of great cleans, ENGL 765, Amplitube (especially Fender collection), ReValver (ENGL, Fender, Classic models), Softube Vintage Amp, ReAxis, S-Gear, TH3, even GTR (this gets bashed all of the time, and I don't agree)...

Any of these can floor me with clean sounds, once adjusted to taste.

simon.a.billington wrote:
Then there is GTR that I still find good value in, mostly the Fenders for a clean sound.
The "Fenders"? In GTR? I assume you must mean another product then than the one by Waves with the same name? :?

edit: I just RTFM and now I know what you mean :oops:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Black Rooster Audio Cypress TT-15.

Amplitube 4 Fender 2 collectiion. The JC-120 is from Amplitube 3.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

This thread is making me realize how damn many guitar amp sim products are around. :lol:

jens wrote:I second Bassdude and Destructor and want to add Waves GTR
Absolutely LOVE Destructor. :clap:

(And basically everything else by Blue Cat).

My go-to options for clean at the moment:
  • Softamp PXA is good for a tweakable "direct" sound
  • Thermionik Bassmensch + Recabinet for warmth
  • Kuassa Vermillion for more constricted combo sound
  • GTR if unsure where to start. Could be replaced by one of the others later...
The Thermionik Mesa amps also have interesting clean channels. Most of the hate for GTR (and Guitar Rig) relates to them being a bit "static"; they don't breathe like an amp and can get a bit harsh. For simple cleans that can be perfectly fine! Whatever amp sim is used some kind of post-eq is going to be useful for mids shaping and/or removing harshness.

I use SPL’s TwinTube to keep it clean but add just some nice harmonics to the guitar.
--After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.

-Aldous Huxley

Return to “Effects”