Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Jeez,

I don't think I've noticed this thread before! Unless I posted in it, high, a while back... :hihi:

I foreswore new guitars last December, when I got my 2nd classical. It's been pretty easy, but now I'm getting the urge for a new one. Sadly, it won't happen. I've got 20, 2 basses, and an Irish Bouzouki as it is.

I would like either a Martin D-35, or D-18. Not gonna happen. I'd rather spend the money traveling (as would my wife).

As she is very much into folk music, I could probably talk her into a dulcimer.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

tapper mike wrote:With regards to tuning.... Artiphon instrument One
You can tune the "strings" to anything, You can play it in any position. While my first love will always be the guitar. My mistress is the artiphon.
Is this basically a midi controller?

Yes...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMFHjmMAb7A

There are things that drive me crazy about it. Mostly the 12 fret limitation and the wide even distribution of frets.

It's designed not to be a guitar but an instrument to satisfy many musicians with different backgrounds in stringed instruments.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Stupid American Pig wrote:The wife surprised me with this today Im super excited about it!!
DuoSonic.jpg
So Ive owned a few fenders in my life(mostly Mexi strats, and my kids have some squire strats) but I cant recommend the DuoSonic enough. The action is dead on perfect, the short scale is easy to play, It has great balance and fits nicely in my lap while recording. These things are ~500 bucks US, which while not "cheap" is a damn good price. The pickups are slightly beefier than strat pickups but still have some sparkle to them. this is the first guitar I pick up to play now.

I don't think I'd appreciate the short scale very much. If I did get used to it, and then went to play one of my 25.5" scale gits, it would seem difficult.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I had a blast with a Mitchell Les Paul copy that was 3/4 size. The neck didn't last too long though.
I could never overbend on regular guitars. That thing put a lot of force into my playing of which I was never comfortable playing with before.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

i think a short scale could be cool; it could even become a 'go-to', but maybe the frets would be a bit 'cramped'? 25.5" works for me... but 24.75" actually feels 'better'. that G&L Ascari i had for awhile was just about 'perfect'. be that as it may, short scale is intriguing... ymmv

Shorter scale necks can be a lot of fun for those with medium to small hands. Especially the 5/8 and 3/4 scale length. I've never been much of one for overbending but shortscale necks make it a breeze. As well if you are into jazz Chord Melody, There is this one guy with huge hands that played near impossible chord shapes named... Johnny Smith. If you have average hands you'll never be able to play in the Johnny Smith style of chord melody unless you go for a short scale guitar.

fender jaguar is shorter scale by default? ...or is it the mustang or jazzmaster? if memory serves, one of those has a 3/4 scale or somesuch... definitely sounds cool now that you mention it, for string bends... less tension with shorter strings, right?

I've never played a 24" but I believe it's not as short as a ¾. I could be completely wrong. The Jazzmaster is 25.5" and I believe the Jaguar and Mustang are 24".

The Duo-Sonic is 22.5". Kinda like a travel guitar. My fingers would cramp up.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Good to know. I think I could do 24" but certainly not 22.5".

The tone drastically changes when you go to a shorter scale than 24. Mostly it has to do with the wieght/size of the body rather than the scale length. That being said... Harmonics change as well and sometimes that is due to the scale length.

As soon as I've finished converting my Telecaster to 28 5/8" scale, I'll report back. I'm hoping it sounds like a piano afterwards and I'll be bitterly disappointed if it still just sounds like a Telecaster. ;)

Uncle E wrote: I'm hoping it sounds like a piano afterwards and I'll be bitterly disappointed if it still just sounds like a Telecaster. ;)
:lol:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”