Which guitar chords to back this Folk melody?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all, music theory is NOT my strong point, so please go easy, hence asking my first question in this sub-forum. I know there are a lot of knowledagble people here, and I would really appreciate the help if someone has the time and inclination.

I've been into Folk in a big way recently, and have transcribed and learned to play on guitar the main vocal melody from this Albion Band version of "Poor Murderd Woman", with the wonderful Shirley Collins on vocals. It's in 3/4 time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2AGD_lsAG4

Here is a link to the melody, written in standard notation and tab:

http://hermetechmastering.com/Guitar/Po ... nNotes.pdf

And here is a link to a standard MIDI file of the melody:

http://hermetechmastering.com/Guitar/Po ... dWoman.mid

Now, the thing is, I can't really work out what key or scale it's in (maybe it's a modal melody, and if so, which mode?), which I really need to do, to be able to back the tune with chords on the guitar. So I'm basically looking for guitar chords that will fit the melody really well. By "feel" and looking at my tab I've come up with the main NOTE for each bar that I think would work best as chords, which are:

F A# F C
G C F G
G C F G
F A# F C

But I could be totally off. And if I just play these all as major chords on the guitar, it doesn't sound at all right against the melody. Even if I make some/all of the Cs and Gs minor chords, it still doesn't sound right.

I understand that if it is indeed a modal tune, then finding the "right" chords may be a difficult task, as modal tunes are all about the melody as opposed to harmony, right? But I'd just really like to be able to back the tune with guitar chords and it sound good. If it's an impossible task then I'd be happy to admit defeat, just let me know. :)

I understand I could also just listen really closely to the rhythm guitar parts on the original recording and try and work them out, and that will be my next step. However, I'm worried that my chops aren't nearly as good as Richard Thompson's, hence why looking for a simpler guitar chord rhythm approach.

Massive thanks to anyone in advance who can give me the guitar chords that will sound great against this tune, and even bigger thanks if they can explain why.

The tune is Dorian - and C Dorian in this version. It's going to help if you change that A# to Bb when thinking about it. Those C and G major chords are going to cause trouble - they should be minor (C Dorian and this tune use Eb and Bb); F can remain major.

You may want to consider using bIII (Eb major) as well. The bVII-i (Bb->Cmin) transition can be important. You might consider doing from the pickup into the first full bar (which lands on a C).

Thanks so much! After your info I found this page:

http://www.guitar-chords.org.uk/modes/c ... -mode.html

And also plugged "C Dorian" into my trusty Guitarator Toolbox Scalerator, which gave me this:

Which does seem to fit perfectly with the melody, and gave the suggested related chords for that mode, which gives me a lot of things to try out. The melody only uses Bb (A#, I changed it!) C D Eb (D#, again I changed it!) F G, it skips the A natural.

Right, I'm gonna start with:

F Bb F Cm
Gm Cm F Gm
Gm Cm F Gm
F Bb F Cm

And see how that goes, before trying out the Eb Maj (which chord would you replace with Eb Maj?) Thanks again!

Hermetech Mastering wrote:And see how that goes, before trying out the Eb Maj (which chord would you replace with Eb Maj?) Thanks again!
It really depends on the shape of the tune. However, bIII into IV (and then into vi) - Eb->F->Gmin - often sounds good. You have several opportunities in your current arrangement.

With respect to the tune itself, there are several important landing notes, particularly the Gs in the middle which fit the dominant/repercussa role one would expect in a tune like this, where I'd probably want to coincide with the Gmin rather than fitting the chords around each bar's initial note. YMMV. With that pickup of two eighth notes at the beginning, having the chord changes not aligned on bar boundaries could prove to be an important part of the overall rhythm.

You have to pose your questions per what is in the tune, not in the abstract. Think about it.
Last edited by jancivil on Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks for all the help, a couple of other guitarist friends have helped me to transcribe the tune as recorded, with the correct chords. Can play it open, or with capo on third fret.
jancivil wrote:As to Eb, III, the guitarist in the recording uses it. I don't really find all of his or her choices very compelling, but you may. When they go to Eb, that's the clear choice for the tune.
You have to pose your questions per what is in the tune, not in the abstract.
As to not posing abstract questions, I am not really sure what you mean. What's less abstract than "Please help me find the right chords to back this tune"? And I did mention I'm not a theory Jedi, so please go easy! I needed help, not scorn. :clown:

The chords support the melody. period.

and you're welcome
Last edited by jancivil on Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

never mind
Last edited by jancivil on Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Here are the chords from the Albion Country Band version, for anyone interested. Much love to Gamma-UT, Andy Smith and Kim Cascone for helping me out a bunch!

3/4 time. 109 BPM. Capo on third fret.

Intro:
Am G C/D Am

Verse:
G C D Am
Am D G Am
Am D G Am
G C D Am

Break: (three bar break between verses)
G C/D Am

Return to “Music Theory”