Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Music Man Axis Suport Sport Semi Hollow https://www.music-man.com/instruments/g ... hollowbody

...got some 'double P90' pickups from Donlis... it seemed like they were wired/color-coded as 'super P90s' with a lot of buzz. switched the wires around (counterinutive to the color coding) and the buzz nearly went completely away. so, it almost seems like the engineers at Donlis were trying to make a 'double-powerful P90' instead of a 'hum-cancelling' pickup.

anyway, have got an additional 3 interesting soapbar variants on the way from GuitarFetish... one 'double coil' but side by side without the added depth of the 'stacked' pickups like Donlis; and another two which are humbucker variants... 'mini-humbucker' in a soapbar, and 'gold foil old style humbucker'...

by the way, once the wiring were squared away, those Donlis pickups sound fantastic. however, the depth of them, being stacked as they are might be too much for some guitars' default routing...

as an aside, was playing a standard P90 soapbar 'Mighty Mite' the other day, and it has the 'usual' buzz, but at some point in recording, and then listening to playback, the pickup was singing like a 'bell'... like a 'triangle wave'... amazing...

Over on amazon, there's a black Stagg Tele with a P90 in the bridge, for just over $100. It seems like certain pieces of gear will drop about $2 every day, then shoot back up again at a certain point, to their 'normal' price. This guitar often goes for over $180.

It's listed as: Stagg SET-CST BK Vintage T Series Custom Electric Guitar with Solid Alder Body - Black

Before, I'd thought it was a function of 'prime' membership, but no longer having prime, these price drops still happen. the one i really missed was a 7-watt peavey transtube amp for around $30... it went down down down a bit each day, then one day it was back to around $65.

Thought of taking it up a notch and getting a Raven West?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stunning-Electr ... SwAExZl0DK
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

whoah that's tight

nice chunk of wood there tapper
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

You should have seen my Raven West 450 It's a semi hollow prs design. Gold hardware 24 frets similar vine fretboard inlay. Had to sell it I may have a pic on my old computer.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Hink wrote:apparently at 21 plus my daughter has decided that guitar nor bass is for her. So now I have a Squire Hello Kitty and an ibby bass (very low end but it's ok). I think I'll put my Duncan Invader in the Hello Kitty :tu:
KVR needs a metal smiley

SJ_Digriz wrote:Can you guys see this image? Trying to see if I can trick google photos into sharing. Anyhow, finally getting round to installing the Emerson kit into my White Hawk loaded Stratafaker.

That's a stunner. How do those pickups sound split?

Xiangqi wrote:...got some 'double P90' pickups from Donlis... it seemed like they were wired/color-coded as 'super P90s' with a lot of buzz. switched the wires around (counterinutive to the color coding) and the buzz nearly went completely away. so, it almost seems like the engineers at Donlis were trying to make a 'double-powerful P90' instead of a 'hum-cancelling' pickup.
I believe the loudest possible wiring, in series, would have them be hum-cancelling.

Uncle E wrote:
Hink wrote:apparently at 21 plus my daughter has decided that guitar nor bass is for her. So now I have a Squire Hello Kitty and an ibby bass (very low end but it's ok). I think I'll put my Duncan Invader in the Hello Kitty :tu:
KVR needs a metal smiley
Because nothing is more metal than a Seymour Duncan Invader in a Hello Kitty ... :band:

looked at a lot of guitars, including raven west, but spent money on pedals, etc. instead, then picked up this $98 archer st10, with paulownia body:

Uncle E wrote: That's a stunner. How do those pickups sound split?
I only like position 4 split (bridge slug, middle). Position 2 has a weak kinda phasey sound that could be good in a specific context I guess. I still haven't wired it up, but have everything re-installed. I was considering going with coil/middle or neck coil / bridge slug for position 2. The kit is wired with 2nd tone knob as a blender. I'm not sure if I'll keep it that way or not. Kind of complicated to wire that in HSH.

EDIT: Maybe it wasn't clear, but this guitar was already wired up and working. I just decided to try the blender setup to see if it did anything interesting. However, after reviewing the wiring, I may just go back to the way I had it, with some changes to the switching options. It previously was hum cancelling in 2 and 4. I never got on with position 2.

It's funny how much I've gravited twoards T-style solid bodies in recent years. Still have one that has become my main axe (telecaster modern player plus) and always want more. I'm thinking about a Charvel pro mod style 2

I'm kinda stuck on strat body style myself. But, invariably I just use 2 switch positions and the volume knob. I have a few fairly complex wirings that go to waste. So, I'm thinking of simplifying things. Although, having 1 guitar that has 90000 options just for giggles still appeals, even though I'd probably never use 89997 of the options.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”