AudioThing Wave Box - Dynamic Dual Waveshaper - UPDATE v1.5

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Wave Box

Wave Box is a dynamic dual waveshaper plugin (VST, AU, AAX) that can be used for both symmetrical and asymmetrical distortion. It features two separate waveshapers that can be mixed together while being modulated by 2 LFOs and 1 Envelope Follower
Wave Box can range from mild tube-flavoured overdrive to extreme digital harshness.

Details
  • Price: $49 / €49 (VAT inc.)
  • 2 Waveshapers
  • 10 Shaping Functions
  • 2 LFOs
  • Envelope Follower
  • Filter (LP, BP, HP, Notch)
  • Oversample up to 16x
  • Preset system with randomizer
  • Formats: VST, VST3, AU, and AAX (64bit only!)
  • Platforms: OSX, Windows
Video Overview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5leZEQOWCM
Audio Demo: https://soundcloud.com/audiothing/sets/wave-box

Product Page: https://www.audiothing.net/effects/wave-box/
Last edited by audiothing on Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.
AudioThing (VST, AU, AAX, CLAP Plugins)
Instagram | Twitter | Discord Server

Wow! That thing looks awesome! :o
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Halonmusic wrote:Wow! That thing looks awesome! :o
Thank you ;)

Wow very nice GUI !
I will surely buy it .good work audiothing :)

Very pretty :)

Thanks guys :)

This seems pretty cool! I like that while looking pretty AudioThing plugins tend to have a well-chosen set of controls rather than giving access to every detail. (Still waiting on that Outer Space back panel though :-P)

Can you tell us a bit more about how we might use the envelope follower? This wasn't really discussed in the video. I note that the Blue Cat distortion plugin uses dynamic waveshaping to imitate various flavours of amp distortion; is this something the Wave box can/should do? How does the "amount" knob work? Is there a hidden "threshold" behaviour or is that effectively set to zero?

The GUI is absolutely stunning !! Makes me want to try it, even if I'm absolutely not looking for a wave shaper plugin ! :D
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

imrae wrote:This seems pretty cool! I like that while looking pretty AudioThing plugins tend to have a well-chosen set of controls rather than giving access to every detail. (Still waiting on that Outer Space back panel though :-P)
Thanks, yes Outer Space update is almost ready. We are currently beta testing it and it should be ready in a few weeks.
imrae wrote:Can you tell us a bit more about how we might use the envelope follower? This wasn't really discussed in the video. I note that the Blue Cat distortion plugin uses dynamic waveshaping to imitate various flavours of amp distortion; is this something the Wave box can/should do? How does the "amount" knob work? Is there a hidden "threshold" behaviour or is that effectively set to zero?
I decided to include the Envelope Follower because it can really give character to the sound, especially with very harsh waveshaping curves, taming or pushing the distortion along with the input. I really like it on electric piano sounds, you can check the overview video at 3:20, I use it to increase the first shaping curve. Although is not one of the best examples, you can hear the dynamics affecting the distortion.
The amount knobs, on both LFOs and Envelope Follower, are bipolar, meaning there's a 0% point in the middle and +/-100% on the sides. So you can add or subtract the modulation from the current value of the parameter.

DJErmac wrote:The GUI is absolutely stunning !! Makes me want to try it, even if I'm absolutely not looking for a wave shaper plugin ! :D
Eheh thanks :)

Tried the demo. I really like this plugin. I would have not purchased it however now with the new policy to support license transfers, that changed my mind. See! License transfers are the way to go - not only does it make it easier for me (at least) to justify a purchase but you also make some $/€/¥ etc when it's transfered! win win.

plexuss wrote:Tried the demo. I really like this plugin. I would have not purchased it however now with the new policy to support license transfers, that changed my mind. See! License transfers are the way to go - not only does it make it easier for me (at least) to justify a purchase but you also make some $/€/¥ etc when it's transfered! win win.
I'm happy that you like it :)

I was never against license transfers per se. As a user I even sold a bunch of plugins I purchased over the years. But as I've said by email to a few clients, it's not a black and white issue.

Playing around with the demo I've been able to get something that behaves similarly to the magical-but-32-bit FerricTDS tape simulator. Env amount does the job of the compression knob, Curve1 and Ceiling both increase saturation but one makes it louder and the other quieter.

Code: Select all

Function 1: tanh  Curve 1: 8%
Bias: 100%  Ceiling: -1db
Env. Follower: ON
Attack: 5ms  Release: 21ms
Amount: -30%  Destination: Ceiling
Oversample: 4x Mix: 100%
I see the preset files are simple XML, any chance of clipboard integration? Makes it easier to share them and try out others from random forum posts.

audiothing wrote:Thanks, yes Outer Space update is almost ready. We are currently beta testing it and it should be ready in a few weeks.
It's looking good together with the Wave Box in the video, but most of all sounds great together! The distortion works great and add more charm to the Outer Space. Can't wait for the OS back panel update.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

imrae wrote:Playing around with the demo I've been able to get something that behaves similarly to the magical-but-32-bit FerricTDS tape simulator. Env amount does the job of the compression knob, Curve1 and Ceiling both increase saturation but one makes it louder and the other quieter.

Code: Select all

Function 1: tanh  Curve 1: 8%
Bias: 100%  Ceiling: -1db
Env. Follower: ON
Attack: 5ms  Release: 21ms
Amount: -30%  Destination: Ceiling
Oversample: 4x Mix: 100%
I see the preset files are simple XML, any chance of clipboard integration? Makes it easier to share them and try out others from random forum posts.
Yes, the envelope follower can also be used for compression. Part of Wave Box DSP was actually developed while I was working on Outer Space (tape echo). Dynamic waveshaping is very interesting to experiment with.

Regarding the presets, yes they are simple XML files. I can easily add a text copy/paste feature to share them easily. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll add it to the next update.

Return to “Effects”