Solved: Kontakt 5.7.0 install issues (kudos to EvilDragon for the remedies)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Kontakt

After updating to the latest version of Kontakt 5 (5.7.0), I can no longer hear any audio output from the plug-in; the volume meters show activity but no sound plays out of the speakers or headphones.

I am running the 64-bit Kontakt 5 VST on Windows 10 x64. I get no sound whether I use the VST plugin in my DAW or via Kontakt 5's own standalone host. I have tried configuring the audio output of the plug-in with both audio types: ASIO and WASAPI (Shared).

Has anyone else experienced this loss-of-sound behavior after updating?
Last edited by tonedef71 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

No but thanks for warning me not to update yet......... :hihi: (sorry :oops: )
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

No.

Have you tried restarting your computer?
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Does it happen with all libraries?

I went to test this for you, and found something interesting: After I updated Kontakt 5 and Battery 4 (both this week), the installer failed to actually install the .DLLs. I haven't used the instruments since I updated them this week. But both instruments were removed from my list of installed VSTis. I had to un- and re-install both instruments to get them to show up again.

Gotta say I don't care for this "Native Access" crap. I keep having to re-set it to where the libraries are supposed to go, and now the .DLLs are missing. :roll:

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

planetearth wrote:I went to test this for you, and found something interesting: After I updated Kontakt 5 and Battery 4 (both this week), the installer failed to actually install the .DLLs. I haven't used the instruments since I updated them this week. But both instruments were removed from my list of installed VSTis. I had to un- and re-install both instruments to get them to show up again.

Gotta say I don't care for this "Native Access" crap. I keep having to re-set it to where the libraries are supposed to go, and now the .DLLs are missing. :roll:

Steve
I had noticed the same thing: all my VSTs had been removed by the Kontakt 5.7 update installer; the Kontakt 5 update installer appears to be flawed. So what I did after discovering that was uninstall Kontakt 5 and use the "Native Access" app to re-install Kontakt 5 completely. Under those circumstances, "Native Access" downloads a .ISO file which contains both the complete PC and Mac installers. Long story short, after re-installing the complete Kontakt 5, there is still no sound output although the volume meters still animate when you press a key on the Kontakt 5 virtual keyboard.

Very much annoyed, I uninstalled Kontakt 5.7.0 altogether, and re-installed Kontakt 5.6.8. Long story short, I still no longer have sound. Kontakt 5 on my Windows 10 PC is screwed up. The next thing I may try to do is to find and completely remove (with extreme prejudice) all remnants of Kontakt 5 from the Windows registry and file system and then re-install Kontakt 5.6.8.

I have installed a number of audio software updates recently; many of these have updates that involve the installation of yet another version of a Windows Visual C++ 20xx Runtime library. I sometimes wonder if any of these versions of the 64-bit versions of the Windows Visual C++ runtime libraries installed on my system are responsible for any of the quirky problems I experience while running various audio software on my PC. :shrug:
Last edited by tonedef71 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

Musical Gym wrote:Does it happen with all libraries?
None of my other 64-bit VSTi plug-ins are experiencing the muted audio problem; only Kontakt 5.

Some notes about what I have been running with on my laptop PC right now: FL Studio ASIO driver with laptop's onboard Realtek HD audio. A couple of months back, I noticed that audio playback in Herman Seib's VST Host with the FL Studio ASIO was now slow and distorted, however audio playback in other hosts still worked fine (e.g. Sonar; FL Studio; Waveform; BlueCat Patchwork; Image-Line mini-modular host). However, I am not sure if this problem is anyhow related to the recent Kontakt 5 muted audio issue.

I found the problem. My default mixer output settings must have gotten hosed by the update installer somehow. My default mixer settings were not routed to the default hardware stereo output. When your mixer outputs are set and working correctly, you take it for granted and forget all about it. No amount of uninstalling and re-installing any version of Kontakt 5 would have ever corrected the problem.

Ultimately, I found and followed EvilDragon's instructions for restoring the default mixer preset back to the equivalent of the factory default setting. :tu:

For those about to update, be forewarned: the latest Kontakt 5.7 update installer for Windows can be flaky! The full installer may be fine; I am not sure.

Actually I have discovered several times both with Service Center and Native Access that it will delete the plugin (non-standalone) version of any of their software (Kontakt, Battery, Reaktor, etc.). I cannot reproduce it and have no reason why it happens. It is an issue that has been around for a VERY long time. Sadly it is getting harder to find the manual update to simplify the issue.

And this is a registry issue. Somehow, I believe, the installer is clearing the registry as the install begins, and almost ALWAYS deletes the key telling the installer where the plugin dll's are located. It assumes you just installed the standalone version.

The fact that I cannot easily reproduce it means I continue to conscientiously check whenever there is an update. Till then, MANY users are left to scratch their heads.

Don't companies have (competent) Beta Testers any longer ? :roll:

Anyway thanks to the early adopters for pointing this out. I'll wait to update my Kontakt. If it ain't broke...... :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Ouch I just updated to Kontakt 5.7.0 using Native Access, only way to do that starting from 5.6.8, and I figured out that my (customized) DLL folders still have 5.6.6 DLLs (I also used Native Access to go from 5.6.6 to 5.6.8 but apparently it silently failed that as well)!

Now checking how to be able to get to proper 5.7.0 without reinstalling everything :(

Bad, bad idea dismissing the Service Center with its offline downloads....

- Mario

I have the same problem. Using updates via Native Access deletes the .dll files. The only way to update for me is to do a complete uninstall before I install the new version.

EvilDragon wrote:https://www.native-instruments.com/foru ... st-1591055

Diagnosis in post #4, same thread.
A bit crazy, if you ask me... their new install platform is not able to deal with issues with their earlier installers. And the only clean solution seems to be reinstall all using the new versions.

I appreciate your workaround though, will try doing something around it and see if I can solve.

- Mario

Return to “Instruments”