Softube Modular - is it OK?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Softube Modular

I own Softube Modular, and it sounds really, really good... but I've got a number of concerns about it that are starting to put me off:

First, I feel like the software in itself is unfinished: preset saving is broken - I can't save patches in a way I can carry between DAWs - and to a degree it feels incomplete without a standalone version. I've got opinions about how the interface could be improved, but the preset thing is really messing with my head.

Second, I haven't found a community forum for it. Apart from the obvious - if preset saving worked, it'd be good fun to share patches with other users - it feels like I'm missing somewhere to go to be opinionated about the product and my kind of love-hate relationship with it, and that Softube aren't really communicating with customers.

Does anyone know if I've just missed a link on Softube's website, or is there really no user forum for the product?

Also, does anyone have any idea of how well product development is going? I have two of the Intellijel add-on modules, but I don't feel I can risk any more money on the thing if there's no road map at least to external saving of presets, or meaningful 2-way communication with Softube beyond a support ticket.

Once again, I love the sound of Modular, and their other products are gorgeous too; I'm just not enjoying owning Modular like I thought I would.

Thanks

I love Softube Modular and I've made great tracks with it that were doing well in the charts.

There's a lot wrong with the preset handling and vague future plans of it, but if there will never be an update again
I'm happy with it and I just keep working with it the way I've been doing.

Most of the interesting sounding pieces of gear (Hardware and Software) always have something wrong :D

christian f. wrote:There's a lot wrong with the preset handling and vague future plans of it, but if there will never be an update again I'm happy with it and I just keep working with it the way I've been doing.
In total agreement with this sentiment. I'm really enjoying it overall and have gotten some cool sounds out of it that I've processed/sampled elsewhere.
  • * Quirky? Yes.
    * A little frustrating at times? Sure.
    * CPU hog (destroyer) at times? Yes.
    * Lots of fun? Absolutely!
    * Will you learn a lot about synthesis? Undoubtedly. I have anyway!
I love the integration and modules from Heatbeat as well. A tip for you, look for deals here on the forum for used licenses. I got both Modular and Heartbeat for like $100 or $125 total? I can't remember exactly, but it was easily 50% off or more. You can generally find licenses for sale, but Softube also runs sales, so hold off for a discount. There's also a Softube Facebook group as well to either ask questions or looking for licenses to purchase.

Everybody has a love hate relationship with this synth.

It sounds amazing and with the few modules available, you can still do a ton with it.

The preset management sucks. Wait, there is no preset management. In addition to that, development has been really slow as far as new modules. I sometimes think I'll be dead before anything substantial comes out.

Having said all that, Softube Modular is my 2nd best selling library next to Serum. Don't ask me to try to explain it. Makes no sense. I even have big red letters on the sales page warning people to download the test patch FIRST to make sure they can load 3rd party presets. In spite of this, thing sells off the charts. Again, makes no sense.

If you can't load presets, this won't help you any, but here's some of the really cool sounds you can make with this thing.

https://soundcloud.com/steven-wagenheim ... -250-patch

Funny, I've never even attempted to use presets with Modular. I've used it exactly like a modular and built something from scratch each time. Thinking about it, probably the only soft synth aside from Reaktor I've ever done that with. I'm just building something and recording it. Interestingly, I've never been all that drawn to real modular simply for that reason (no preset and/or save functionality), but I guess that's not the deal breaker I thought it would be. Oh boy... must hide the wallet from a new obsession.

Modular is pretty awesome. Great sound and some minor workflow issues. I don't have a problem with lack of proper browser cause I enclose every preset/template within instrument rack in Ableton and it just works fine but I hear you (especially if you make presets for sale).

I don't know where can we post feature/improvements/bugfix requests so I'm reporting those to Softube on twitter and they responded every time so far. Recently I reported that they should really improve the way the modules are moved and added to the rack. I suggested it should be the same as in VCVRack - you just grab module by clicking on background and then drag (I'm not sure why the added the intermediate step of clicking on "Move" button - makes no sense and kills workflow). I also mentioned that modules should be added by accessing a menu/module screen via right click and then by selecting the module, much quicker then clicking "Add" button and then selecting the module (also I think that module should be added in the place you point to and not after last added module in a rack - this could be easily resolve with right click add function). They responded: "Perhaps with future update" - so hopefully this and other improvements are on the way.
https://spektralisk.com/products | Sound libraries for: Massive X, Pigments, Vital, Razor, Kontour and more | Free sounds → Sound Flux

Every now and then I have a little look. Get scared and then remember how I seemingly only scratch the surface of what I already own. :lol: I get by, part skill, part chance.. which is quite good fun I guess. Pretty much the same with all the modular VSTi's. Time and want of making music when I do have time prevents modular synthesis for me.

Softube Modular is awesome! Because of it i discovered whole world of modular synths on youtube and some great guys who plays on Eurorack modular.

I asked Softube support and they told me that they are developing browser and also GUI scaling. So it will be even greater! Also today Buchla module is released. :party:

I prefer Reaktor Blocks... there are a ton more modules... lots of free ones and users can and do create great stuff... and it sounds just as good...

pdxindy wrote:I prefer Reaktor Blocks... there are a ton more modules... lots of free ones and users can and do create great stuff... and it sounds just as good...
Yes, and it has a preset management system. Softube completely dropped the ball over this.

SM sound more raw, instable in a good way. Reaktor - more clean sound. They are different. I like them both. 8)

Stan Navi wrote:SM sound more raw, instable in a good way. Reaktor - more clean sound. They are different. I like them both. 8)
That's not necessarily the case, IMO. Reaktor allows you to design right down to the fundamental DSP building blocks, capable of exactly the same level of underlying audio behaviour as SM is written to have. Some stuff built in Reaktor (especially stuff built with the supplied 'prebuilt' building blocks) might have a cleaner sound, but Reaktor as a whole doesnt have 'a' sound any more than a C++ compiler does; devices can be built to have any sonic characteristics.
The problem can be that that takes more CPU horsepower to achieve because of the way Reaktor works, so things like level of detail in emulating real hardware behaviour might be less prevalant because they're more intensive to do.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Stan Navi wrote:SM sound more raw
:hihi:

Speak of the devil... new module dropped today. Pretty expensive for just a module (likely due to the licensing), but would have to try the demo before commenting any further.

https://www.softube.com/index.php?id=buchla_259e

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KfMv9QIjl0

Reefius wrote:
Stan Navi wrote:SM sound more raw
:hihi:
:smack:

Return to “Instruments”