Which DAW do you wish you started on?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

To transpose a MIDI track, you open the Inspector (with F4) then enter a value in the Transpose field. This transposes every note on the track by that amount. I don't think it snaps to a scale, though. At least, I've never used it that way.

The MIDI editor does have scale snap, though I don't use it myself.

Hey Renoise fans! What is it that you love so much about it? Not disagreeing or criticizing, just genuinely curious. I've heard great things about it (and one of my favorite artists uses it).
A well-behaved signature.

Pretty happy with my current path of FL -> Studio One. FL has lifetime updates and is still useful sometimes, both as a standalone and as a plugin in S1. I also got FL Signature when it still came with VST plugins, so I have Sytrus, Maximus, and Directwave to use in S1.

used openmpt,cubase ,protools,FL
still thankful that i started on with reaper
only thought about switching to ableton

but
my mind telling me no
but my body ...my body is telling me no :p
Win 10 x64 with specs enough to run DAW without bouncing any track
KZ IEM,32-bit 384Khz dac running at 32bit 48Khz
mainly use REAPER, MTotalbundle, Unfiltered Audio TRIAD and LION, NI classic collection,......... ETC

I too was one who started with Cool Edit Pro. And I also moved to Reason when it was released. The studio I was in used Nuendo as their main DAW (strange, but Cubase was nowhere near where it is today) and I am glad I started there as I was able to easily get to Cubase.

In the end, I would do nothing differently.

Ableton Live.

I got zero regrets for starting (serious venture into music, dabbled with "extended demo" software before that) with energyXT 1, but after the unfortunate death of that lovely DAW, I wasted many years with all the wrong DAWs before eventually losing interest in music making completely. Should have gone Ableton right after eXT, and never worry about a thing again.

Live is from another world, a transparent platform for creation instead a source of frustration.

JerGoertz wrote:Hey Renoise fans! What is it that you love so much about it? Not disagreeing or criticizing, just genuinely curious. I've heard great things about it (and one of my favorite artists uses it).
Good question. For me it's essentially about getting a completely different DAW experience that just stimulates a different approach/mindset and also new creative/faster ways of translating thought into action within the context of composing/producing.

Renoise is like, coding music instead of playing music. It's similar to classical score notation in a way, but alpha-numeric. Renoise injects new layers of abstraction into the creative process, allowing for an extremely fast workflow. Music literally just flows for me whenever I'm working in Renoise, and I feel like I'm in control of everything, everywhere, at the same time.

The magical paradox of the software is that initially, as a new user, you'll probably feel it's the slowest and most non-intuitive workflow in the world and be tempted to throw it all away. But once you're past a certain threshold by a few hours of hard efforts to learn the paradigm, things just magically start to flow! It's like, you can just type your thoughts down and just focus on the music within the context of an extremely rapid workflow.

For Reason users, try Renoise as a ReWire sequencer/automation master with Reason as a slave. It's simply a match made in heaven and will likely take your Reason experience to whole new levels. :wink:

Reaper, and it's my favorite.

JerGoertz wrote:Hey Renoise fans! What is it that you love so much about it? Not disagreeing or criticizing, just genuinely curious. I've heard great things about it (and one of my favorite artists uses it).
this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MsxhLUl2f0&t=176s
can record your phrases into note per instrument based trigger-able clips(check the vid), needs noodletrap plugin (https://www.renoise.com/tools/noodletrap) which records them into different phrase clips if u put some breaks into your playing, then able to combining them to bigger structures using effect commands ( https://www.youtube.com/user/LearnRenoise/videos )

as u can see in the video the out of tracker can be resampled, the sample can be sliced to fragments the fragments can be effected etc. etc.

working very similarity to AL/Bitwig just it's a tracker... the bad news : it's not developed and the automation is heavily PITA in it (between patterns, if u move things in to different positions etc.) and it hasn't got AL like "Time-Warping Samples" feature (auto BPM matching for example), although there is third-party plugin to do it >> https://www.renoise.com/tools/rubberban ... itch-shift

so using Renoise generally quite fun if u can live its imperfections

oh I've recorded the a phrase demo too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp64dvO9ly4
so they can be triggered, played forward/backward from any position, any speed etc. , can be resampled, sample can be sliced the slices can triggered from the tracker (can be different fx chain assigned to them) ... can add automated fx devices to the etc.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Thanks for the info, Sailor16 and xbitz!
A well-behaved signature.

Shit, I dont think it really matters what daw you wish you started on, it's too late now. No use dwelling on the past.

I always recommend anyone getting into electronic to start (and end) with Ableton. There is no substitute for that kind of music.
Cubase has additional mixing capabilities but anyone who knows anything about mixing knows Protools is the one for that.
Cubase is the right choice if you only ever wanna buy one daw and you dont mind working a little slower.
FL should be the option if you like making music with a mouse.

The question assumes everybody moved off their original DAW and has regrets 'advice to a you starting out'. Very KVR! Wishes are for fishes, then.

I developed my habits on Cubase SX 1 and my current DAW Cubase Pro 9.

I've used almost all of them at some point, all the classics. Various trackers (on 3 different computer platforms), Pro Tools, Performer, Cakewalk (before it was called that even but 2.0 was my main go-to at one point.. though not a DAW back then), Cubase, Logic (both PC and now Mac), Reason, FL Studio (since v1.2), Reanoise and my current main DAW Reaper (since v2).

I would not take back a single minute of any of them. Why? Because it all taught me various lessons and gave new ideas on how to work things. Yes it's a pain to switch DAW but there is a lot to be gained too. None of them is "best" at everything. Some are better than others at some things but even this is never objective.. it's a subjective opinion at best.

Use what you can afford and what helps you do the task at hand. If you have time and mone to spare, try them all. Simple as that.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

i actually started out with a fine little setup, had Acid Pro and Cooledit which i totally loved. and i would sometimes use cubase on an old atari for midi.
so was very productive... then I DID waste some time with Cakewalk which i did not get on well with. at that time i only wanted to try ProTools as i know Thomas Dolby used it and i am a massive fan of his stuff. so, yeah, could have taken a pass on Cakewalk.

bmanic wrote:I would not take back a single minute of any of them. Why? Because it all taught me various lessons and gave new ideas on how to work things.
I'm not sure about that. The only thing I learnt from Reaper was that life's too short to waste on subpar garbage, and tbh that's kinda common knowledge.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”