DUNE 2 is out now!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DUNE 3

chk071 wrote:It is Lennard BTW. Always makes me want to go up the wall, whenever i read "Lennar". :P The company is called LennarDigital, because it's a wordplay. LennarD Digital.
Maybe Lennard should change his name to Alfonso.

chk071 wrote:...it's not all about the slope.
Curious...what else is there that could define the character of an envelope?

Because from a technical point of view the only thing an EG does is outputting voltage, (e.g. 0V to 10V, -5V to +5V, etc.), the rise/fall/sustain profile of which is defined by the contours of its individual stages.

So if its not the way in which the voltage changes as a result of the stage-slopes, what else could there be that makes one EG different from another?

Personally i cant think of anything, considering that outputting more voltage or less voltage is all an EG can ultimately do.

Christ this thread went sideways the past few pages :lol:

In the end, whether you're someone who appreciates just what having extra layers/oscillators etc can do in creating both complex and simple sounding err,sounds, or someone who just likes using less, its not an issue. Having the extra layer buttons doesn't take up much extra GUI, some other synths have far bigger and frankly messier guis, and having the extra layers doesn't consume more cpu just cause of its existence. So this is great for those that want more control, and great for those who don't need it because its not negatively affecting them anyways!

So it's a non-issue, it doesn't matter. Now back to our regular schedule :party:
Arksun
Music Producer | Sound Designer
www.arksun-sound.com

ENV1 wrote:
chk071 wrote:...it's not all about the slope.
Curious...what else is there that could define the character of an envelope?
That is a good question, which maybe some developer could shed some light on. Maybe, like with anything analog, some are letting part of the signal through, or other stuff is happening. All that i know is that they differ from (soft) synth to soft synth.

We need envelopes with 8 hierarchical layers, so one can set the attack of the release of the decay etc. :hihi:

fluffy_little_something wrote:We need envelopes with 8 hierarchical layers, so one can set the attack of the release of the decay etc. :hihi:
Or just use the MSEG :wink: :D

fluffy_little_something wrote:We need envelopes with 8 hierarchical layers, so one can set the attack of the release of the decay etc. :hihi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KMQZSQ1qxk

Cinebient wrote:
Or just use the MSEG :wink: :D
Again, that is NOT the end all solution for the issue. Unless you think the envelopes are all the same, in any synth.

Synthmaster e.g. has freely moveable envelopes. And they lack any snap/punch. At least that's how it was before version 2.8. I don't know how it is now.

I was just being sarcastic, not sure you got that... :roll:

Since the topic seems to be envelopes now, yesterday I read something funny. I think it was in the G-Sonique bass thingy description. They proudly listed linear envelopes :hihi:

But it is also funny that Ultrabass (guess you talk about this synth) has indeed very snappy envelopes. Actually I've used it more than one time to get a straight edged bass for 16th basslines when other synths seem to struggle with it. But, of course, it may be me and the lack of skills to achieve such kind of snappyness with 'em.

16th notes, well, I suppose they depend on the bpm set :hihi:
What helps a lot is completely retriggering oscillators and envelopes the way Sylenth1 has them.

U
Ultrabass is aimed at the very specific thing, machine gun style psytrance bass. This is where linear envelopes my actually work better than some analog modelled ones.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Indeed. Some styles simply don't profit from tempi like 90bpm. :ud:

Ultrabass MX4/4 is a new bass synthesizer for every 4/4 dance music style bassline (uplifting trance, psytrance, goatrance, progressive, hardstyle, electrohouse, electro, techno, tech-house, and many others). (quote)

edit: @fluffy

Just tried it in Sylenth1 at 120 bpm and 1/32D, a piece of cake, not very musical in my view, indeed more like a machine gun 8)

https://app.box.com/s/kgrya3e0m8pwz78it6jyh4tlphfogu6n

fluffy_little_something wrote:not very musical in my view
It's all about the context, fluffy! 8)

But let's get back on topic and try this with Dune. :tu:

Return to “Instruments”