Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DS Audio Thorn Thorn Pro Expansion (Thorn Presets)

Just to add my own thoughts on the GUI size thread derailment, I kinda agree with Wags to some extent. The normal size is a little too small for comfortable use IMO, while the large size is too big for my main 1920x1200 monitor. There really should be an inbetween size. Having said that, it is still quite usable. It'll be some time before i can properly demo it, but after a quick browse through the presets it sounds impressive.

Dmitry was very quick to address the GUI size issues with Tantra and overall his support and updates have been top notch, i can't see this being any different.

thejonsolo wrote:
chk071 wrote:Not here. Full license.
As a test...are you using VST3 or VST2 version?

I disabled the VST3 version (which was the only one to show up in Cubase, weird) and the VST2 version was recognized. It plays in stereo properly.

So...Thorn VST3 has a bug, at least in Cubase!

shite.... that explains tons....lol

edit: completely different synth as a vst2..... phew, it didn't even occur to me that I was hearing it in mono, it just sounded small and 'dead'....
now it sounds gorgeous.

rsp
Last edited by zvenx on Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sound sculptist

I agree there should be one more size between normal and large.
Also I just noticed it looks like equalizer isn't spelled correctly.
"Eqalizer"

zvenx wrote:
thejonsolo wrote:

I disabled the VST3 version (which was the only one to show up in Cubase, weird) and the VST2 version was recognized. It plays in stereo properly.

edit: completely different synth as a vst2..... phew, it didn't even occur to me that I was hearing it in mono, it just sounded small and 'dead'....
now it sounds gorgeous.

rsp
I tried the VST2 and VST3 versions in Sonar Platinum and the stereo spread works ok here in both.

wagtunes wrote:
jsp1979 wrote:There's a GUI size selector in the menu. Have you tried that?
I looked for a menu. I can't find one anywhere because I CAN'T READ THE DAMN THING
you could read it if you listened to me and tried to understand why your resolution isn't fit for your monitor size, which is why you can't ever see anything anywhere. just lower it or get a bigger monitor FFS

or, keep being an annoying idiot with your 17" monitor at 1280*1024.

thejonsolo wrote:

I can confirm the VST3 issue in Cubase 9 here. When I looked in the VST Instrument rack part of Cubase it only showed a mono choice there and my other plugins show stereo outputs.

zvenx wrote:
thejonsolo wrote:

now it sounds gorgeous.

rsp
Damn, i gotta blacklist the VST3 in Studio One ASAP. :lol:

I simply removed it from my vst3 folder.
rsp
sound sculptist

I just re-installed it, and only installed the VST2 version. Every single issue is gone now. :D Can only recommend to not use the VST3 for now...

One thing i don't quite get though is why the synth sounds so muffled in the lower octaves... like, if a low pass filter was applied. I probably miss something.

exmatproton wrote:
twolegstoneworks wrote:+1 for a size between normal and large. It seems like it's a 100% increase in size for each of the size options. A 50% increase would be better.
+1 on the size. Normal seems too small on a 1080P screen, large too big (doesn't fit)
Yep! This is was the first thing I noticed about the synth!

Great sound especially for EDM I think. Anyway, most of the new synths are either analog emulation or EDM punchy, aggressive ..etc synth!

It has a very nice workflow. Very fast to manipulate the existing sounds or making my own from scratch :) The modulations idea of drawing the line, although not original, is very welcome one :tu:

The cpu usage is very good, not high at all. about 10% ~ 20%. Seems very stable during the few minutes I demoed it.

The intro price is great :D I really almost bought it instantly, but I really have so many synths that I'm struggle to keep using! The GUI issue didn't make me worried as I know the developer is very active and sure he would make a size suitable for the FHD monitors (1920x1080).

I believe it is a great synth especially for modern dance music or punchy/aggressive sounds in general. The intro price is no brainer :)

Finally had a chance to play with it, and I absolutely love it! Thorn is capable of making some very beautiful sounds, very quickly. Wonderful, wonderful, very happy with this synth. I already decided I will buy it and even release a soundset for it :party:

Back to exploring :phones:
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

this thing is a fantastic surprise. a wide-scale synth with almost everything on the main panel, everything automates, gorgeous looks and low cpu appears out of the blue! I think this is my first release-day synth purchase, I have zero arguments with that intro price, a bargain.

I really like it too, after initially being a bit put off by the bugs in the VST3 version. Especially like the filters, they're really superb for a synth like this. What i would like was an additional control to set the length of the envelope stages, like in Diversion. And, what i also noticed, the filter envelope closes early, even with full release. I already noticed this behavior in some of the u-he synths. Would be nice to be able to change that, because it makes it a bit hard to program pad sounds with long envelopes. Other than that, really, good stuff. :)

I'd also like to see longer release times on the envelopes. If it's to save the cpu, it'd be nice to have an option to extend the release times if desired. In the meantime, the reverb can get you a lot of the way there for some huge sounding pads -- easy tails 10 seconds and longer. It's a creative workaround, but still sounds good.

I'd also love for the lfo's not to retrigger. If anyone finds a way, do share :)
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Looking forward to a soundset on this, but loving the included patches.

Size- identical to Dimension. So...yes, a little hard on the eyes.

VST3- I have noticed several synths with this issue. DiscoDSP had a similar issue with Discovery Pro which George fixed before his absence. Hopefully we can get this fixed asap.

There are some other issues that you deeper programmers have that I haven't looked into further, but I have enjoyed messing with this tonight!

Return to “Instruments”