Tone2 Icarus 1.6 Released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Icarus3

recursive one wrote:
chk071 wrote:IMO, "plastic" isn't generally bad. I'd call Spire plastic too, just more robust, and punchy.
Shame that Tone2 forgot to add "more robustness" in this update :D
lol :D

They sometimes have quite esoteric change logs...

recursive one wrote:
Caine123 wrote: out of curiosity, which synths do you think are not "plastic" sounding? serious question.
Diva, Bazille, Virus, Rapid, Sylenth ... lots of them.

it's easier to name the "plastic" ones :)
am not getting diva & sylenth1 in the same list... and don't understand the tone2 hate; they've made some good plugins, and, for me, icarus is the best one to date.

Thank´s for the update. This synth is great. It can generate some unique sounds i couldn´t make with my other tools. Very nice!
I really like to layer the precise sounds of it with some vintage stuff for the dirty part.
I don´t hear plastic. Plastic sounds different. :D

fisherKing wrote:
recursive one wrote:
Caine123 wrote: out of curiosity, which synths do you think are not "plastic" sounding? serious question.

am not getting diva & sylenth1 in the same list... and don't understand the tone2 hate; they've made some good plugins, and, for me, icarus is the best one to date.
No hate from me, i think their synths are good. Maybe not the greatest of all times for me, but, very good. Still, i'd categorize them as "plasticky" sounding, but, as i mentioned, that's not necessarily a bad thing for me. Spire sounds a bit plasticky too, still it's one of my 3 favorite synths.

pdxindy wrote:3 held and released notes... using the new FM morph mode.

https://draigathar.org/sounds/Icarus9.mp3
Super awesome texture, mind sharing a couple of patch notes on the approach? I sometimes end up with stuff like this after lots of granulation / / delay abuse / resampling etc. but don't tend to end up with something that elusive straight out of a synth.

Hez wrote:
pdxindy wrote:3 held and released notes... using the new FM morph mode.

https://draigathar.org/sounds/Icarus9.mp3
Super awesome texture, mind sharing a couple of patch notes on the approach? I sometimes end up with stuff like this after lots of granulation / / delay abuse / resampling etc. but don't tend to end up with something that elusive straight out of a synth.
I only saved a rather different version of that sound as a preset, but I remember it fairly well.

Osc 1 - used the FM from Osc 3 morph mode along with the Voice Dreams wavetable with an LFO sweeping through the wavetable.

Osc 2 - off - Osc 3 - I forget the wavetable, but also a complex one sweeping through via LFO and then using the Spirit morph mode (which has a lovely noisiness). The fade control was fairly low so the wavetable sweep was somewhat quantized.

both filters... one 12 DB LP and the other the Ringmod LP type.

I find Icarus to be fruitful for textural sounds. It is easy to create them and the tools lend themselves to sounds that unfold in pleasing and useful ways. A variety of morph modes and filter types are musical and it is easy to get satisfying sounds. This update takes that even further plus some good workflow improvements. I always found the workflow a tad on the annoying side and now it is significantly better.

Mmmmmmmm plastic yumm. I need to get this synth. Nice patch pdxindy. :tu:
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

fisherKing wrote:
recursive one wrote:

No hate here. I'm actually thinking about getting Icarus. There are some things I like about the features and the sound (but also some things I'm not too keen on).

That list is very arbitrary, it consists of synths that DON'T have certain quality (in my very subjective opinion). It could be as well a list of synths whose names don't start with "I" or don't sound like a Hungarian bus.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote:
fisherKing wrote:
recursive one wrote:

No hate here. I'm actually thinking about getting Icarus. There are some things I like about the features and the sound (but also some things I'm not too keen on).

That list is very arbitrary, it consists of synths that DON'T have certain quality (in my very subjective opinion). It could be as well a list of synths whose names don't start with "I" or don't sound like a Hungarian bus.
but then, in that case, they all sound like a hungarian bus. all my synth plugins are great and not great; they're good at certain things, not others. they each seem to have a 'quality' about them... so i use them for that (and a different plugin for a different quality).

icarus, just for what it is, is pretty nice.

I mean the names don't sould like the name of a Hungarian bus, not the synths themselves :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ikarus_Bus
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

how well is the CREATE RANDOM patch at all? does it really make well new patches changing all parameters or only a few?
FL studio crashes always sadly with it clicked.

i thought drag & drop modulation worked?
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Caine123 wrote:how well is the CREATE RANDOM patch at all? does it really make well new patches changing all parameters or only a few?

I don't use create random patch but I have used create random wavetable and some of them are really cool.

wagtunes wrote:
Caine123 wrote:how well is the CREATE RANDOM patch at all? does it really make well new patches changing all parameters or only a few?

I don't use create random patch but I have used create random wavetable and some of them are really cool.
Thx! Sadly also this crashes fl studio :( guess i need to wait for the final release.

With serum (i love it but mostly use it for weird fx, drones, atmos etc i dont like it for straight music styles) avenger (is for me ! more of a pad/drone machine) and dune 2 would u say icarus would be redundant? Even the demo is buggy and producing pop ups it has a nice space/new age feel. I wouldnt use it for typical trance etc. As i prefer warmer vsts like diva for it more with nice saws.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

The best vsti just got better. I can't find any synth with such wide sonic power. With Icarus you can create probably every sound imaginable. And it can sound placticky, warm, fat, big... whatever you want. Just tweak any sound. There're so many possibilities to change timbres in Icarus!

Caine123 wrote: Thx! Sadly also this crashes fl studio :( guess i need to wait for the final release.
That option crashes all DAW's i use (FL Studio, Studio One, Reaper and Ableton).

Wrote Markus about this at the Tone2 forum.

Return to “Instruments”