windows 10 laptop with touchscreen. what can i do?

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi!
just bought a new laptop with windows 10 and a touchscreen (inspiron 5378).
it has a I5 and I am trying how it reacts with sonar and komplete.

i was wondering if there is any specific app/software that i can use with a touchscreen, maybe some controller surface app that I can link in someway to my main DAW (in another PC).
or some cool synth like geoshred for iPad...
thanks! :)

No, touchscreen is particularly crappy on Windows, most developers assume you will be using a mouse and as such they either have second rate or no touch support, forget it has touch screen support and move on, it is one of the reasons that Surface is failing so badly, no developers really have any interest in touch outside of Android and IOS.

Remixlive works OK from MixVibes, probably the best use of my touch tablet on Windows 10.
Duh

understood! thanks indeed...
anyway the touch is quite useful for everyday tasks in windows. will see... it has been just 2 days that I'm fiddling with the new toy! :D

Interesting. I get good results using touch with Studio One 3.5 on my Windows 10 Surface Pro 3. I often get most of a project finished before finishing it on my desktop PC. With a touch display, it's often about setting up macros you can tap with the stylus or your finger that emulate keyboard commands. Yes, I know that's more or less the definition of a macro, but I mean ones that can be added as buttons on a toolbar. As you can do in Studio One.

For a relatively lightweight DAW you can use for sketching out ideas, you could check out Stagelight or Studio One Mobile 3.

As for controller surface apps, the only one I know is the remote controller for Studio One, which works fine.

I've downloaded, but never used Ctrlr: http://ctrlr.org/

> For a relatively lightweight DAW you can use for sketching out ideas, you could check out Stagelight

I used Stagelight for over a year. Originally got it specifically because it was geared towards touch. I really liked it.

I also have positive experience with PreSonus on touchscreen.

Also I am actively looking for a controller using touchscreen and so far the best I could do was to emulate some Android apps or even install Android as an OS on my laptop... but this is all going into wrong direction!

I've been talking with some software developers as a part of my job. If I find something interesting, I promise to share here :)
With great sound comes great power.

I use loads of audio software with a 23inch touchscreen on Win 10.

Plugins with resizeable Guis are particularly apt and anything compiled with JUCE is natively multitouch.

Several of my DAWs are touch friendly.

I really like using sequencer plugins, the new HY sequencer pack with resizable Guis are great and seem almost designed for touch.

I find it particularly fun/useful when playing and tweaking hardware, I can just reach over and use the puter in a similar fashion without having to take my eyes off things, grab the mouse, manouvre it, click or drag the screen element. I just interact directly with the screen like I would my hardware knobs and buttons etc

It's made some of my midi controllers redundant for certain tasks.

Ignore the naysayers, touch definitely has its benefits.
Amazon: why not use an alternative

https://touchinnovations.com/emulator-2/

I was lucky to get in on this a few years ago before it went Sub so I seem to have a perpetual licence :)

Using Bitwig on a surface pro and its great! Have a look at Usine as well, its designed for touch from the ground up.

bungle wrote:No, touchscreen is particularly crappy on Windows, most developers assume you will be using a mouse and as such they either have second rate or no touch support, forget it has touch screen support and move on, it is one of the reasons that Surface is failing so badly, no developers really have any interest in touch outside of Android and IOS.

Remixlive works OK from MixVibes, probably the best use of my touch tablet on Windows 10.
Maybe because touch ready GUI interface for a Pro application is almost like inventing a square circle. Usually, the GUI is crowded with controls, and you don't have enough precision to control it with you fingers (unless you fingers are as thin and precise as a mouse pointer).

That's also why iOS apps only have a few controllers, and things usually are so limited. Why do you think they are now coming with pens and pencils to the touch screen?
Fernando (FMR)

^
Hence larger screens are more appropriate for certain applicarions.
If a use find the experience in useful on a 14" screen doesn't mean it's a write off, as my experience with a 23" bass been positive.

Depends how much arm waiving is required and best posture, in which case I revert back to a mouse

By far, you have to try out XOTOPAD by feelyoursound :tu: . The developer is a great and responsive guy and all of his applications are fantastic. You can even use the free version of XOTOPAD, called isopad or something. The website is here:

http://feelyoursound.com

fmr wrote:
bungle wrote:No, touchscreen is particularly crappy on Windows, most developers assume you will be using a mouse and as such they either have second rate or no touch support, forget it has touch screen support and move on, it is one of the reasons that Surface is failing so badly, no developers really have any interest in touch outside of Android and IOS.

Maybe because touch ready GUI interface for a Pro application is almost like inventing a square circle. Usually, the GUI is crowded with controls, and you don't have enough precision to control it with you fingers (unless you fingers are as thin and precise as a mouse pointer).

That's also why iOS apps only have a few controllers, and things usually are so limited. Why do you think they are now coming with pens and pencils to the touch screen?
IOS apps are extremely complicated nowadays and so are Android apps ;)
Duh

bungle wrote: IOS apps are extremely complicated nowadays and so are Android apps ;)
Maybe that's why they now have pens and pencils. Next move will be using a wireless mouse and keyboard :hihi:
Fernando (FMR)

I forgot about Yeco. It is specific to Ableton Live, so does not meet the requirement of the OP, but I wanted to mention it for those who might read this thread in the future.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”