Post Sonar X3

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

SJ_Digriz wrote:we have a low count poster who provides no info and then does not participate. I think it would have been better just to have the OP answer the basic "what is it you want" questions before juts guessing all over every possible DAW combination.

hi my name is Hink, welcome to KvR :hihi:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:we have a low count poster who provides no info and then does not participate. I think it would have been better just to have the OP answer the basic "what is it you want" questions before juts guessing all over every possible DAW combination.

Don't think he/she meant you were a "Low count poster" but that statement does require some rebuke.

Just because someone has a low post count does not discount their contribution. This elitist snobbery needs to be pointed out as unnecessary and quite annoying to us dinosours who have been here for years with low posts counts.

The OP does not need to increase his/her post count to be relevent here or anywhere for that matter.

Back to the topic....

CTStump wrote:
Hink wrote:

Don't think he/she meant you were a "Low count poster" but that statement does require some rebuke.

Just because someone has a low post count does not discount their contribution. This elitist snobbery needs to be pointed out as unnecessary and quite annoying to us dinosours who have been here for years with low posts counts.

The OP does not need to increase his/her post count to be relevent here or anywhere for that matter.

Back to the topic....
However, just coming on and saying "I'm fed up with Sonar" doesn't accomplish anything. I don't think a low post count is bad by itself. But, when presented with a question for clarification, there was no reply.
The lack of participation in conjunction with the low post count suggests (does not prove) a lack of good faith to the discussion. Some simple information about what is frustrating them with Sonar, what type of production they do or want to do would help significantly. Otherwise, it is exactly what we have now .. .a growing list of all DAWs.

To be fair, even with that information it would still turn into a list of every DAW because ... KVR.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

SJ_Digriz wrote:
CTStump wrote:
Hink wrote:

Back to the topic....
However, just coming on and saying "I'm fed up with Sonar" doesn't accomplish anything. I don't think a low post count is bad by itself. But, when presented with a question for clarification, there was no reply.
The lack of participation in conjunction with the low post count suggests (does not prove) a lack of good faith to the discussion. Some simple information about what is frustrating them with Sonar, what type of production they do or want to do would help significantly. Otherwise, it is exactly what we have now .. .a growing list of all DAWs.

To be fair, even with that information it would still turn into a list of every DAW because ... KVR.
While it's true this happens frequently here we are only on page 2, I think if one is busy and not replying it should be fair to wait and give them a chance to answer before charges are made as too their intentions.

Your right though... The DAW wars will continue... :?

Anyhoo, hope the OP finds what they are looking for.

CTStump wrote:
Hink wrote:

Back to the topic....

I know he wasn't talking to me, my point is this is common here for threads to be started like this and the poster to not to return (which is fine, some people prefer to remain on the quiet side). I completely agree with you, post count has no significance what so ever but the fact remains there are people that create an account just to ask baiting questions or start flame wars. In this case as I always do I look right to the join date first, then the post count if warranted and this time it is a member that has been a member for over a decade with a low post count so I put that concern to rest and didn't go any further. If I see they basically joined to start the thread then I check the ip, email and such (though going by ip is not accurate as people can be in the same cafe, library, school or whatever). Still recent join date and low post count is a red flag for me and I keep an eye on it and might be quicker to lock it if it gets out of hand but I still make no judgement just based on post count or join date.

It's one of those things, it can be either and it's hard to tell which is which sometimes. There are truly many that are just troll threads that I let go because I tend to err on the side of giving people the benefit of the doubt and also out of troll threads good can still come and we have a lot of knowledgeable members here. It is indeed true what is a stupid game to some troll might benefit another reader even if that person has not yet signed up for KvR. I dont take action on threads like this often, no reason why you should notice that but I really dont unless it's obvious and blatant :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

I didn't make accusations by the way... I simply said that using the post asking for additional information then wait to see if there is actual interest in the thread is probably a more productive approach than just listing DAWs every time some asks a "which DAW" question.

EDIT: And to Hinks point .. if we had just waited to see if we get clarification, it removes the troll aspect.

If it isn't clear, I wasn't asking for action against the thread or OP. I'm not mad, upset, irritated etc... In fact I found the responses kind of funny. I was just pointing out how silly we get with these threads sometimes. I mean seriously, how many "what's the best" threads have there been in the last month or two alone. The chances of NOT finding a pro/con DAW thread on KVR are astronomical, unless of course you don't look on the HOSTs forum area.

Wow, sorry to start a battle. My low post count indicates my low intelligence, which didn't enable me to choose "auto-subscribe" to threads. I spent all morning wondering why no one answered ... duh. I do get a kick out of how we deal with each other on the web - with no eye contact and reading between the lines and the like.

I meant no disrespect. I come here often, just don't have much to say - I'm not opinionated either, which can be one of the root causes of a low post count.

Thanks for all the replies. The reasons I'm not pleased with X3 include the inability to automate certain aspects of the arpeggiator and the gui, which seems to cause some of the stuttering issues that I get from time to time. I'd like a DAW that wasn't so heavily graphically oriented, but you guys would say get a physical mixer.

So, I appreciate your replies and will look into Cubase - it was Steinberg's demo in 2004 that got me involved in all this in the first place.

Cheers and thanks!
Tim

timboalogo wrote:Wow, sorry to start a battle. My low post count indicates my low intelligence, which didn't enable me to choose "auto-subscribe" to threads. I spent all morning wondering why no one answered ... duh. I do get a kick out of how we deal with each other on the web - with no eye contact and reading between the lines and the like.

I meant no disrespect. I come here often, just don't have much to say - I'm not opinionated either, which can be one of the root causes of a low post count.

Thanks for all the replies. The reasons I'm not pleased with X3 include the inability to automate certain aspects of the arpeggiator and the gui, which seems to cause some of the stuttering issues that I get from time to time. I'd like a DAW that wasn't so heavily graphically oriented, but you guys would say get a physical mixer.

So, I appreciate your replies and will look into Cubase - it was Steinberg's demo in 2004 that got me involved in all this in the first place.

Cheers and thanks!
Tim
Again, I want to reiterate .. I have no problem with your original post. None whatsoever. It is not an indictment on your intelligence or anything else. I didn't even mean for it to be an argument ... which actually there wasn't really one.

But, you did provide some intel that is important. If your system is struggling with graphics in Sonar .. Cubase is probably NOT where you should be looking (I am a Cubase user). Reaper would be the most functionality in the smallest footprint. I'm not of fan of the interface and wildly inconsistent naming and goofy key combinations it takes to do simple things. On the plus side though, you can configure the crap out of it, and almost every function is mappable to a key command.

That's great thanks. Please consider the topic closed.

Timbo

SJ_Digriz wrote:But, you did provide some intel that is important. If your system is struggling with graphics in Sonar .. Cubase is probably NOT where you should be looking (I am a Cubase user). Reaper would be the most functionality in the smallest footprint. I'm not of fan of the interface and wildly inconsistent naming and goofy key combinations it takes to do simple things. On the plus side though, you can configure the crap out of it, and almost every function is mappable to a key command.
Laggy graphics in Sonar X3 was actually a common issue from what I remember. Cubase will probably work better, and if it doesn't, either disabling graphics acceleration using regedit or buying a cheap recent entry-level GPU will probably fix it.

From experience Cubase only really starts slowing down a bit with big projects, and even then (at least to me) it's not as bad as some people like to say. My computer is mid-tier at best.

Also note that they're currently working on some performance optimizations for Mac which may also benefit Windows users to some extent. These should make it into Cubase 9.5 which he'll get for free if he buys Cubase this month.

Romantique Tp wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:But, you did provide some intel that is important. If your system is struggling with graphics in Sonar .. Cubase is probably NOT where you should be looking (I am a Cubase user). Reaper would be the most functionality in the smallest footprint. I'm not of fan of the interface and wildly inconsistent naming and goofy key combinations it takes to do simple things. On the plus side though, you can configure the crap out of it, and almost every function is mappable to a key command.
Laggy graphics in Sonar X3 was actually a common issue from what I remember. Cubase will probably work better, and if it doesn't, either disabling graphics acceleration using regedit or buying a cheap recent entry-level GPU will probably fix it.

From experience Cubase only really starts slowing down a bit with big projects, and even then (at least to me) it's not as bad as some people like to say. My computer is mid-tier at best.

Also note that they're currently working on some performance optimizations for Mac which may also benefit Windows users to some extent. These should make it into Cubase 9.5 which he'll get for free if he buys Cubase this month.
All I can say is that I have both Sonar Plat and Cubase 9.x ... on a fairly high end system. Graphics are comparably lag ridden compared to Reaper and FLStudio. For Cubase it really gets bad if you have warping or hitpoints enabled, even in a moderate project.

timboalogo wrote:Wow, sorry to start a battle. My low post count indicates my low intelligence, which didn't enable me to choose "auto-subscribe" to threads. I spent all morning wondering why no one answered ... duh. I do get a kick out of how we deal with each other on the web - with no eye contact and reading between the lines and the like.

Cheers and thanks!
Tim
you did nothing wrong and surely showed no disrespect at all, I'm glad you found what you are looking for because that's what it's all about. :)

Romantique Tp wrote:Also note that they're currently working on some performance optimizations for Mac which may also benefit Windows users to some extent. These should make it into Cubase 9.5 which he'll get for free if he buys Cubase this month.
And Cubase 9.5 is now out with said optimizations!

timboalogo wrote:I'd like to know where I should go next.
REAPER

Be sure to download Sonar to REAPER, a short guide to REAPER for SONAR users.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgbEo906XWs
Last edited by soulone82 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”