Syntronik [update March 2018: New T-03 Bonus Content & 4-for-1 bass synth promo] available

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Syntronik 1

Well the good news there is that SampleTank can also load up the Syntronik instruments!
Windows 10 and too many plugins

zzz00m wrote:Well the good news there is that SampleTank can also load up the Syntronik instruments!
That's actually the best thing about it. I really don't want to learn a new GUI for each item, it's better to me just to use Sampletank and then you can add something like strings or whatever to the multi. But then you don't get the arp that way. I hope they can add the arp to Sampletank at some point.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

zzz00m wrote:Well the good news there is that SampleTank can also load up the Syntronik instruments!
Yeah good shout - Don't think I'll actually bother loading up Syntronik now as a separate VSTi and just use SampleTank to access all the sample content. As the macro controls in SampleTank are learnable by the DAW and the GUI is standardized between all the synths it'll definitely be my workflow for using it.

Numanoid wrote:I'm pretty certain I saw a deal from IK earlier this week, but I must have read it so quickly that I missed that €99.99 is the price to crossgrade from, not to get :oops:
50% sale has hit, so syntronik crossgrade is €149 at IKM where you can use points, or $125 (€105) at a reseller like jrr - so pretty close to that €99.99!

I've had 1.1 installed for a few days but didn't have time to check it out thoroughly until yesterday. First I want to say thanks to IK for the update. To be honest I didn't think we'd see it any time soon if at all. This gives hope that the future is bright for Syntronik. :tu:

Now on to the meat and potatoes....

Aftertouch support is greatly appreciated but here the AT to Vibrato is rather harsh for lack of a better term. The response curve is a bit too sharp making it hard to apply AT smoothly. I can change the AT curve on my midi controller but the hundreds of patches I've done for all my synths are programmed using the current curve so I'm not keen to change it. I have not found a way to set the range of the Global Vibrato AT in Syntronik, perhaps I have missed it.

But I've found that by using the LFO to Pitch on each layer it is possible to set a range that allows more fine control for AT (I use 0-40% here). Then just leave MW to Vibrato set.

Here's a multi that uses AT to LFO Pitch for each layer rather than AT to Global Vibrato:

Aftertouch Lead Tek

To those who say Syntronik is only for people who use presets I say you lack imagination. Look at the big picture. You get a synth with 4 sample based Oscillators (layers), each with it's own Fx and Arp. Does each layer have the same level of programability as the original hardware ? Absolutely not but if we embrace what Synthronik can do instead of what it can't then we realize it's capable of some very impressive sounds. I spent all day yesterday making Multi Patches and had a ton of fun doing so. Working with just the raw Saw waves from each instrument yielded hours of fun and some nice sounds. The challenge is to work with what you are given. :wink:

The new global mixer is a god send and drag/drop in the FX is very nice as well. (did I mention the FX page of Syntronik would make a killer effects plugin ?) :P

Am I the only one who wants Sampletank 3 sounds to work in Syntronik ? A "Rompler" GUI that would allow you to load any ST samples you own. That would make Syntronik an instrument capable of creating sounds like those found in the Korg 03R/W, Roland U220, and many other instruments of the era. They may not get much respect these days from the "Analog is the only form of Synthesis" gang but they are responsible for the sound of an era. :)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:
To those who say Syntronik is only for people who use presets I say you lack imagination. Look at the big picture. You get a synth with 4 sample based Oscillators (layers), each with it's own Fx and Arp. Does each layer have the same level of programability as the original hardware ? Absolutely not but if we embrace what Synthronik can do instead of what it can't then we realize it's capable of some very impressive sounds. I spent all day yesterday making Multi Patches and had a ton of fun doing so. Working with just the raw Saw waves from each instrument yielded hours of fun and some nice sounds. The challenge is to work with what you are given. :wink:
+1

I think everybody who gets Syntronik owes it to themselves to load and play around with the factory multis.

The 4 layers/splits of the Syntronik multis really opens up creative doors. I got a whole new appreciation for this instrument after checking out the multis. And the new v1.1 controls allowing quick bypass of effects and arps, really lets you zero in to what is happening! :tu:

Teksonik wrote:
Am I the only one who wants Sampletank 3 sounds to work in Syntronik ? A "Rompler" GUI that would allow you to load any ST samples you own. That would make Syntronik an instrument capable of creating sounds like those found in the Korg 03R/W, Roland U220, and many other instruments of the era. They may not get much respect these days from the "Analog is the only form of Synthesis" gang but they are responsible for the sound of an era. :)
+1

I really like the way you think!!! :hyper:

That's not a new feature, though. ST3 has been able to load Syntronik instruments since it was updated with Syntronik's release a few months back.
I wish I could sing as well as the voices inside my head...

http://www.cdbaby.com/darkvictory

DocAtlas wrote:
That's not a new feature, though. ST3 has been able to load Syntronik instruments since it was updated with Syntronik's release a few months back.
I assume that you missed the context of my post, since I didn't quote the post prior to mine, which I was actually referring to.
braj wrote:But long story short, it takes a workaround for something so basic. At least Sampletank has the quick controls available. I would have expected it to be more robust. I saw rave reviews for this, and it confounds me none mentioned this.
He was referring to the shortcomings of automation regarding the new feature in Syntronik v1.1. I was merely reiterating that ST3 could be a workaround since it loads Syntronik presets.

zzz00m wrote:
DocAtlas wrote:
I assume that you missed the context of my post, since I didn't quote the post prior to mine, which I was actually referring to.
Yeah, I missed the post you were referring to. Sorry about that.
I wish I could sing as well as the voices inside my head...

http://www.cdbaby.com/darkvictory

DocAtlas wrote:
zzz00m wrote:
DocAtlas wrote:
Yeah, I missed the post you were referring to. Sorry about that.
No worries, :wink:

But I will add that I spent some time today loading a number of virtual instruments into one of my DAWs that easily shows the automation parameters available in each plugin. I was shocked to find that Syntronik only offers 'Dry Level' and 'Wet Level', where every other plugin shows tons of internal parameters for automation.

SampleTank 3 shows the 'Dry Level' and 'Wet Level', as well as 'Volume' and 'Pan', and the 8 macro knobs. So that is something...

I hope that IK makes some improvements to this area for Syntronik, which otherwise is an excellent instrument! :tu: :party:

OK, I unexpectedly have enough gear credits to buy the crossgrade to Syntronic. I have a number of decent synths, but no Minimoog clone, I don't think I can afford to buy or run CPU wise Repro-5, so the Pro-5 is a little tempting. And I own Sampletank 3 so I can fiddle with the sounds more in that if I'm not satisfied with the Syntronic level of control, but I'm still not sure. Anyone care to give me a little push? It is basically between this and Miroslav 2, which I honestly am not dying to own, or sit on my points for forever and have the crossgrade sale pass me by, and still not have anything I want to spend them on. Convince me about Syntronic... How on are the sounds, do you think? How many gigs is the library? Bigger isn't necessarily better BTW.

One thing I would love to see in a Syntronic update is an 'advanced' panel for each 'synth' that gave you all the controls from Sampletank 3, skinned for that instrument. That would be cool.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

Screw it, impulse buy. Now tell me what I should love about it :)

This sure has a crapload of installers. Also, I have to say it sucks that IK chooses to charge you to download what you already paid for, seeing a time limit on when I can download just is not cool at all, in any way, shape, or form. This is not 2002.

braj wrote:Screw it, impulse buy. Now tell me what I should love about it :)
Well, you've lost any excuse to sit around bored and depressed,
you're armed with a studio full of synths and effects, pick one of
your favorite songs, and make a dazzling cover. Like the Atari's did
with Boy's Of Summer. You're on the clock :hyper:
Cheers

Return to “Instruments”