iZotope Iris 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Annual Subscription for Iris Presets Iris 2

Caine123 wrote:

*The master output knob at the top of the GUI can't be modulated anymore.

*Limiter amount can't be modulated anymore.

*Modulating delay time with an LFO does not produce usable results.
In Reaper you can externally modulate and automate basically any parameter to your hearts desire - maybe not quite as easy and quick as via internal modulators but it just take a couple more seconds and works like a charm .
I have no idea what the OP (Simon?!) meant by 'useable' but I've been modulating the delay times with the built-in LFOs more often than not and they do the trick for me. YMMV.

Nuff for now.

Well, I find the logarithmic scaling of certain values extremely annoying as I wrote before, since making sensible modulations adjustments is close to impossible that way. I personally count that as a bug since it's just plain wrong.

The whole Iris 1 preset situation is frustrating and doesn't reflect well on izotope. I personally simply lost my trust in the company through the Iris 2 experience and even though they have some very interesting tools, I don't plan to invest in them since they seem to be too erratic for my taste in their business practices.

I use Iris 2 way less than I hoped because of all those issues already mentioned.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
Sculptures ScreenDream Mastodon

Caine123 wrote:this is the BUG list from Sampleconstruct! any more additions?

*The Sample&Hold (random) LFO is still broken in version 2.01, in most cases it decides not to modulate, sometimes it modulates, so it’s behavior is very erratic. Also the speed of the random LFO can currently not be modulated with any controller. So all patches using a random LFO are affected by that. iZotope is still working on a fix for this issue (they said in March 2015).

*When you assign the modulation wheel to the main output gain using negative values, e.g. something like -20% to compensate for the gain boost introduced by the distortion FX (also assigned to the wheel), the next time you open the preset the wheel will totally mute the output when fully engaged, as the master output knob at the top of the UI can't be assigned to any controller anymore, the only workaround is to individually assign negative values to the individual outputs of each oscillator.

*Trying to modulate Chorus depth (not mix) with a Macro doesn't work, the knob modulation indicator is actually moving when tuning the Macro but the sound doesn't change.

*Since Iris 2 the Send-levels to the FX modules are routed pre-envelope, so when a patch is using the FX-Send-mode, a sound will reach the FX section although it’s sustain level might be turned to zero. They are thinking of adding a pre/post-switch to fix this issue, the workaround is, to also assign the amplitude envelope of an oscillator the the respective send level.

*The feature to change LFO waveforms via Macros has been removed in Iris 2

*As the minimum/maximum modulation amount was removed in Iris 2, some modulation values can not be assigned accurately anymore, like e.g. delay times, cutoff levels etc, so some modulation levels might slightly differ in the converted Iris 2 patches.

*The new architecture of Iris 2 renders some former assignments useless/impossible, so I used many workarounds in the Iris 2 patches, sometimes I also added a few modulations here and there, taking advantage of the new modulation system. But the new patches sound just as good :)

*The zipper noises in Iris 2 when moving/automating Macros and other controllers like the Modwheel have increased significantly in comparison with version 1, if you move them slow enough, you will be able to avoid those artifacts.

*CPU usage has significantly increased in Iris 2.

One more omission is:
*Modulation amount via velocity can not be modulated in Iris 2, so it’s either on or off.

In version 1 we have minimum and maximum modulation levels which can easily be assigned by right clicking on any parameter which can be modulated, this is missing in version 2 so assigning the max level has to be done by guessing. I enter the values numerically in Iris 2 if I need more exact levels, the graphic representation of min/max mod levels in Iris 2 is...problematic to say the least.

You need to be able to modulate loop start and end and scrub sample.

Thx. Will forward those points. I guess it wont change but we can try
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Sampleconstruct wrote:
Caine123 wrote:this is the BUG list from Sampleconstruct! any more additions?

*The Sample&Hold (random) LFO is still broken in version 2.01, in most cases it decides not to modulate, sometimes it modulates, so it’s behavior is very erratic. Also the speed of the random LFO can currently not be modulated with any controller. So all patches using a random LFO are affected by that. iZotope is still working on a fix for this issue (they said in March 2015).

*When you assign the modulation wheel to the main output gain using negative values, e.g. something like -20% to compensate for the gain boost introduced by the distortion FX (also assigned to the wheel), the next time you open the preset the wheel will totally mute the output when fully engaged, as the master output knob at the top of the UI can't be assigned to any controller anymore, the only workaround is to individually assign negative values to the individual outputs of each oscillator.

*Trying to modulate Chorus depth (not mix) with a Macro doesn't work, the knob modulation indicator is actually moving when tuning the Macro but the sound doesn't change.

*Since Iris 2 the Send-levels to the FX modules are routed pre-envelope, so when a patch is using the FX-Send-mode, a sound will reach the FX section although it’s sustain level might be turned to zero. They are thinking of adding a pre/post-switch to fix this issue, the workaround is, to also assign the amplitude envelope of an oscillator the the respective send level.

*The feature to change LFO waveforms via Macros has been removed in Iris 2

*As the minimum/maximum modulation amount was removed in Iris 2, some modulation values can not be assigned accurately anymore, like e.g. delay times, cutoff levels etc, so some modulation levels might slightly differ in the converted Iris 2 patches.

*The new architecture of Iris 2 renders some former assignments useless/impossible, so I used many workarounds in the Iris 2 patches, sometimes I also added a few modulations here and there, taking advantage of the new modulation system. But the new patches sound just as good :)

*The zipper noises in Iris 2 when moving/automating Macros and other controllers like the Modwheel have increased significantly in comparison with version 1, if you move them slow enough, you will be able to avoid those artifacts.

*CPU usage has significantly increased in Iris 2.

One more omission is:
*Modulation amount via velocity can not be modulated in Iris 2, so it’s either on or off.

In version 1 we have minimum and maximum modulation levels which can easily be assigned by right clicking on any parameter which can be modulated, this is missing in version 2 so assigning the max level has to be done by guessing. I enter the values numerically in Iris 2 if I need more exact levels, the graphic representation of min/max mod levels in Iris 2 is...problematic to say the least.
This is why I still prefer Iris 1

hi ,
i didn't use my own sampled sounds so often, mostly just kicks or hi-hats.
so i purchased Iris 2 and loaded my own sampled bass sound and played with it.
if i use resample pitch option, sound is so dry and also depends where i put it, if lower on keyboard sounds long, if higher is short.
then i have select radius RT pitch option, now, that's something different, sample starts to act more like instrument.

i have few others samplers or sample players, but i can't find (so far) something like radius RT option, like in Iris 2, what should i look for ?

best

fidox wrote:hi ,
i didn't use my own sampled sounds so often, mostly just kicks or hi-hats.
so i purchased Iris 2 and loaded my own sampled bass sound and played with it.
if i use resample pitch option, sound is so dry and also depends where i put it, if lower on keyboard sounds long, if higher is short.
then i have select radius RT pitch option, now, that's something different, sample starts to act more like instrument.

i have few others samplers or sample players, but i can't find (so far) something like radius RT option, like in Iris 2, what should i look for ?

best
Radius RT-mode is a simple granular algorithm which preserves the original speed of the sample while transposing. Any sample player with a time-stretch function will do the same and more, as you normally can set or even modulate the sample speed-parameter. Kontakt has various time-stretch algos, so does Falcon, HALion and the like.
Using Iris for playing back kick and hi-hat samples is an exotic approach :)

thanks for your reply Sampleconstruct,
i own Structure 2 from AIR sampler/sample player, but i didn't find that.

fidox wrote:thanks for your reply Sampleconstruct,
Reading the product specs, Structure 2 does not support granular synthesis/time-stretching, it's just a normal sample player.

Sampleconstruct wrote:
Reading the product specs, Structure 2 does not support granular synthesis/time-stretching, it's just a normal sample player.
hah, i see.
did you use or try maybe Tal sampler ? it seems it has time-stretching.
i can use Iris 2 ofcourse, but maybe for simple bass line i'd like/looking for something less CPU hungry :)

fidox wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:
hah, i see.
i can use Iris 2 ofcourse, but maybe for simple bass line i'd like/looking for something less CPU hungry :)
The time-stretching algo in TAL sampler isn't that sophisticated IMO and better suited for something more gritty, like hip-hop drums and the like.
BTW, these days most DAWs (reaper, Ableton Live, ...) feature one or more decent samplers or sample players anyway, but if the OP wants something more flexible I'd follow Simon's advice and look for the usual suspects like Kontakt, Falcon, Halion, etc... or google for something like 'best time-stretching algorithms' or software and see what shows up.

atya wrote:
fidox wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:
hah, i see.
The time-stretching algo in TAL sampler isn't that sophisticated IMO and better suited for something more gritty, like hip-hop drums and the like.
BTW, these days most DAWs (reaper, Ableton Live, ...) feature one or more decent samplers or sample players anyway, but if the OP wants something more flexible I'd follow Simon's advice and look for the usual suspects like Kontakt, Falcon, Halion, etc... or google for something like 'best time-stretching algorithms' or software and see what shows up.

Very nice! :tu:
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Return to “Instruments”