Studio headphones

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For mixing; buy open cans!

Michael White explains on Youtube;

'Mixing With Mike Mixing Tip on Using Headphones for Mixing'

For not much money; Sennheiser HD558 or the new HD559

Guys please help.I will buy these days from Thomann Samson SR850 or AKG K240 - i need good open/semi open cheap headphones for sound design,decent demos and mixing so if you have experience with some of these two please give me advise - so far i am willing to take first SR850 because of better specifications and 50mm driver and to see is it posible 28 euro semi open headphones to be as good as everyone say and even they are not it's not big deal, but watching review at Z Reviews I was absolutely amazed of K240 sound and plan to buy it later too ,but many people say its not for electronic stuff ,which is main genre i do now.For now i am on tight budget and in my country there isn't many options for listening what you wanna buy, so rely on opinions and what video youtube uploaders upload.Headphones over 100 euro are not even considered.Thanks.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/samson_sr850. ... +_296778_0

https://www.thomann.de/gb/akg_k_240_stu ... 0_153257_0

For Modern music you need Headphones that cover a greater frequency range.Most older Headphones are missing deeper bass.
I would suggest the AKG K-612 Pro,they are not so harsh/tiring in the higher range than,lets say many Superlux headphones and much more balanced.
If you look around you can catch them for 99 Euro.
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

Thanks for the idea - i just watch the review in Z REVIEW and sound stage of AKG K-612 Pro seems huge but the sound doesn't touch,seems somehow sterile.For stuff i do i need specific sound - i guess there is a reason people to love k240 for decades - don't want to repeat story with DT990 PRO..when i see PRO is like stay away to me :)Anyway thanks for the suggestion - probably will buy both then will think for somthing better if find them disappointing :):):)

I've got Beyerdynamic DT250 headphones. The lead is curly and heavy. Everytime I move, however slightly, I can hear the lead brushing against me or my guitar or the table or whatever it is. Ridiculous and pathetic. I see they do straight leads, so I'll see about getting one. I've also got some Sennheiser ones, and I'll stick with Sennheiser in future.
Last edited by jabe on Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

I got a pair of AKG K701 and I felt that they lack in the low frequency area. Sound was a bit too crisp. Since I happen to be an acoustic engineer and working in a fully equipped acoustic lab I brought my K701 to work and set it up in our Brüel&Kjaer HATS. I could clearly see from the frequency response the lack of low frequencies and increased levels in the high frequency area.

I used my Fabfilter Q2 to calibrate a reasonable flat response and saved it as a custom preset. Then for fun I also tested the Sonarworks Reference 3. The performance of Reference 3 together with my K701 gave a good result. I can't say if Reference 3 will be good for ever model of studio headphones but if you are not satisfied with the sound as it is I would suggest you give Reference 3 a try. There is demo, and at the moment Reference 3 is also on sale for $49 at AudioDeluxe.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Another vote for DT990 Pro-s - they're awesome if you don't mind open-back design.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Thank you for helped me :)

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”