Gibson axes Cakewalk /Sonar

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Maybe the Gibson deciders stumbled upon all the Sonar-bashing that's going on here for uh... forever? - and they thought to themselves: "We'll have to get rid of this quick!" :clap:
The hole is deeper than the hum of its farts

Henry da Vandal strikes again :!:

Read my posts ever since Gibson acquired Cakewalk....

The writing was on the wall since day one...

I had used Cakewalk as my primary DAW since the stone age,but my support stopped at X3e....

That was when Henry da Vandal took over the reins...

I did buy Rapture Pro because it's a great development of Rapture and Dimension Pro,but that was it....

All because I have never trusted Henry...

Hopefully,another company will buy the Cakewalk assets and continue the development of a great DAW....

As for Henry da Vandal and his beloved "Gibson Brands" ?

It would be most pleasing to see them get wiped off the face of this earth...

It couldn't happen to a nicer guy than Henry :wink:
No auto tune...

digitalboytn wrote: Hopefully,another company will buy the Cakewalk assets and continue the development of a great DAW...
I hope there will appear some candidates, but "Henry da Vandal" refused several offers for Opcode, back in the days, and decided to bury it, instead. And Vision was the top DAW not so long before, and was still a very good DAW (my favourite, back then)
digitalboytn wrote: As for Henry da Vandal and his beloved "Gibson Brands" ?

It would be most pleasing to see them get wiped off the face of this earth...

It couldn't happen to a nicer guy than Henry :wink:
:lol: :tu:
Last edited by fmr on Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

SJ_Digriz wrote:it's abandonware that works pretty good for a home guy .. still the best integration of Melodyne going. Just because it isn't supported doesn't mean it just stops working. The eula aside, there isn't much stopping folks transfering ownership.
Uhm.. Cakewalk Project 5 v2 isn't recommended for Windows 7 by Cakewalk afaik. I could be wrong, but that's the reason why I didn't purchase it few years ago. I concur, however; it may still be better than many people think it is.

So when an OS update arrives one has to stay at Windows 10 to run Sonar. My 2c.

Because Microsoft's *updates* actually never come for free :ud:

GreyLion wrote:They got raided years ago for using illegal wood in their guitars, and it's widely known that their entire guitar line has turned to sh*t within the last decade
Not exactly illegal wood, as this article from 2014 explains.

http://humanevents.com/2014/05/30/the-t ... -revealed/

And, further, I bought a couple Gibson guitars over the past year, and they have far from "turned to sh*t." Still, overall, the best guitars money can buy in whatever respective price range.

But, hey, don't let facts get in the way of Gibson hate.

Woodgardens wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:it's abandonware that works pretty good for a home guy .. still the best integration of Melodyne going. Just because it isn't supported doesn't mean it just stops working. The eula aside, there isn't much stopping folks transfering ownership.
Uhm.. Cakewalk Project 5 v2 isn't recommended for Windows 7 by Cakewalk afaik. I could be wrong, but that's the reason why I didn't purchase it few years ago. I concur, however; it may still be better than many people think it is.

So when an OS update arrives one has to stay at Windows 10 to run Sonar. My 2c.

Because Microsoft's *updates* actually never come for free :ud:
You would be surprised about how long a well written Windows software can survive through different OS versions.
Fernando (FMR)

beau921 wrote:
GreyLion wrote:They got raided years ago for using illegal wood in their guitars, and it's widely known that their entire guitar line has turned to sh*t within the last decade
Not exactly illegal wood, as this article from 2014 explains.

http://humanevents.com/2014/05/30/the-t ... -revealed/

And, further, I bought a couple Gibson guitars over the past year, and they have far from "turned to sh*t." Still, overall, the best guitars money can buy in whatever respective price range.

But, hey, don't let facts get in the way of Gibson hate.
fact, there is a price mark up for the name alone and the best is quite debatable...best for you perhaps but please do not speak for me ;)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

This just in:

Presonus may offer Sonar Users a special discount

http://forum.cakewalk.com/m/tm.aspx?m=3688554

The carcass is starting to be fed upon, not to mention a good marketing strategy. Quite sad that the end of line of a great product is a great sale... By the competition.

If it's true good luck to those who choose to participate.

https://www.thestreet.com/story/1428061 ... -debt.html
The famed guitar maker had its rating lowered to Caa3, nine notches into junk territory, with a negative outlook, as maturity of $520 million in debt approaches.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

aMUSEd wrote:That's odd, why is this being left to users to do?
Don't know. We'll see. I'm somewhat angry, because I paid for 6 months and cannot keep it, because I still have 6 months to pay for the first year...

My account shows that there are monthly payments associated with my license and that it will expire in December.

Happy days are here again
The skies above are clear again
So let's sing a song of cheer again

Yeeehaaa, just as I predicted here in a post almost 2 years ago, that Cakewalk would be gone within 2 years, and so it has come to pass :D

The skies above are clear again
So let's sing a song of cheer again
Say NO to CLAP!

paulbreeze wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:That's odd, why is this being left to users to do?
Don't know. We'll see. I'm somewhat angry, because I paid for 6 months and cannot keep it, because I still have 6 months to pay for the first year...

My account shows that there are monthly payments associated with my license and that it will expire in December.
Yeah, that sucks! However, this is why it absolutely does matter how solvent a company is when you enter into any sort of long term relationship. The more bindings there are between your use of the software and the firm, the more this matters. This is why I'm not a big fan of C/R, it's a binding that you have little control over. For me, if you are a small potatoes dev then C/R generally means that I won't give you any money. There are exceptions, but they are rare and I generally regret giving such devs cash.

Cakewalk has been in the death throes for some time. Big giveaways that don't make a lot of sense other than as flailing attempts to gain market share.

braj wrote:https://www.thestreet.com/story/1428061 ... -debt.html
The famed guitar maker had its rating lowered to Caa3, nine notches into junk territory, with a negative outlook, as maturity of $520 million in debt approaches.
As happens regularly with companies/corporations in the exciting world of high-finance. Especially, when they last decades, or more than a century.

Cakewalk may, or may not, be dead, for good. It could be taken over and turn up, in some form, elsewhere.

But, to paraphrase a quote from Kevin McHale:

Gibson has crawled out of more graves than Lon Chaney.

Romantique Tp wrote:There was simply no place for Sonar on the DAW market. Basically if you want powerful MIDI tools you get Cubase, if you primarily work with audio then you get Reaper. If you need a jack of all trades, Cubase does that much better than Sonar. For electronic music you get Ableton Live...

And that's on Windows. On Mac they would also have to compete with Logic, and deal with the fact that 99% of their potential Mac users already have very powerful DAWs.
I'll up you one - Sonar just wasn't good enough, resting, as it did, on technological laurels a decade old. Add to that the cult-like resistance by many users to any sort of constructive criticism/feature requests of/for the program, on Cakewalk forums and elsewhere, and you had a set-up for failure. Sonar's demise is not entirely Gibson's fault.
vespesian (sean)

You're in an amazing state - so stay there.

I can see the headlines now....

"Henry da Vandal Burns da Cake"

His track record speaks for itself....

Ask any person who has tried working for him just how much of a megalomaniac prick he is...

Gibson is in big trouble and it's only fitting that Henry should at the helm of the sinking ship....

It really couldn't have happened to a nicer guy :wink:
No auto tune...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”