Anyone jumped ship / switched DAW this year?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm thinking of abandoning Reaper for all midi-based productions. It drives me mad with its item-based anomalies....
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

My 'well where the f**k do I go from here?' list.

Sonar : Does all the stuff, but Maldoror is ded ded ded.
Protools : Happy with it for audio-only projects and mixing, but I kinda need something more 'full-spectrum'
Live : Like tit but too grid-y so underused. Plus all of a sudden it wont f**king authorise. And, like I say, kinda need something more 'full-spectrum'
Samplitude : demo crashed like f**k on my system, so no go
Cubase : Aint gonna spend £400 on a new major DAW Ive never liked. Plus dont want a VST3 dependency.
Bitwig : Too similar to Live in terms of features.
Waveform : I like the features, but its proving too inconsistent, design- and implementation- wise.
Reason : Never particularly got on with it.
DP : post-CW, I worry that they're too small a company for a 'big' DAW. And it feels too niche, too Mac.
Studio One : good start, but seems to be a bit slowly developed now, so post-Sonar, slightly worrying in the long term.
Harrison : nice idea, but hearsay says its flaky, and Im not after mixer-centric.
Mixcraft : havent used it, dont know a damned thing about it.
Usine : Not quite the right territory, got fed up when they kept changing the purchasing model.
Mulab : I think I'd prefer it if Mulab's recording/sequencing stuff were inside MUX, rather than the other way round.
Reaper : it always annoyed the tits off me; too mixer-centric, butt-ugly where the 'look ma I can render a vintage mixer button' skins (and the 'drinken orgy in a neon glitter factory' skins) dont get to, and a f**king annoying userbase. But its $60, and works, and I hate myself for thinking it might be my best option.
<edit> FL Studio : Never got on with it. Not audio-oriented enough.

Sigh. Did I miss anything?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:Sigh. Did I miss anything?
Logic :D
Last edited by Michael L on Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Michael L wrote:
Logic?
Didnt miss it, because I dont use a platform it'll run on.

I had been working around things in Bitwig because I loved the look and expected fixes for some obvious issues, then they changed the interface and didn't fix the issues and I could no longer ignore the fact that I can simply get everything done in Ableton Live a whole lot faster. And then there's Grooves.

Added Mixbus 32C for final mixing. Been scoping out Logic for a while and working on paring down Reaper menus to make that thing usable.

I must mention that my needs are pretty simple and it's really about the interface for me. Scalable seals the deal--I can't hack tiny icons or overly busy menus any more. And I don't want to spend a whole lot of time learning a hundred shortcuts, I just want to compose and record (aside from the time I waste on forums). I do not use a DAW as a musical instrument or creation engine as many do.

jonljacobi wrote:I had been working around things in Bitwig because I loved the look and expected fixes for some obvious issues, then they changed the interface and didn't fix the issues and I could no longer ignore the fact that I can simply get everything done in Ableton Live a whole lot faster. And then there's Grooves.

Added Mixbus 32C for final mixing. Been scoping out Logic for a while and working on paring down Reaper menus to make that thing usable.

I must mention that my needs are pretty simple and it's really about the interface for me. Scalable seals the deal--I can't hack tiny icons or overly busy menus any more. And I don't want to spend a whole lot of time learning a hundred shortcuts, I just want to compose and record (aside from the time I waste on forums). I do not use a DAW as a musical instrument or creation engine as many do.
Did you looked at Cubase?
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

CTStump and Dellboy, thanks for reading my long-winded post and replying.

@tooneba: I'm aware of the fact that the arrangement view allows me to work basically as I did in Reaper (although Reaper is much more tooled towards audio recording), but my main point was that it might be a good idea to become more conscious of how these tools steer and shape our creative process. I think that a lot of creativity (and maybe even humanity) gets lost in the world of total recall, quantisation, automation, etc.

"Wir sind die Roboter." :ud:

Anyhow, I sort of intruded on this thread because I'm not literally switching DAWs. I will stay onboard the good ship Ableton, but I will be more careful with it. And I will spend more time actually playing instruments and composing before I press "record".

EnergyXT? :)

whyterabbyt wrote:My 'well where the f**k do I go from here?' list.

is it that bad yet? Put aside the constant updates with the subscription, typically depending on the host you might wait two years or more for an update (some not so long). So is there a real sense of urgency? It's not like it stopped working, You also dont know what they intend as far as support but in the worst case scenario you still have a full featured DAW that you are use to and can stick with for at least a year or so while you determine what is the best next step :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:My 'well where the f**k do I go from here?' list.

is it that bad yet? Put aside the constant updates with the subscription, typically depending on the host you might wait two years or more for an update (some not so long). So is there a real sense of urgency? It's not like it stopped working, You also dont know what they intend as far as support but in the worst case scenario you still have a full featured DAW that you are use to and can stick with for at least a year or so while you determine what is the best next step :shrug:
Oh, yeah, its just flippancy really, its just that the announcement more or less coincided with my DAW crapping out on me and needing rebuilt from scratch. So its a clean slate situation anyway; figure I might as well start working out what I do next, now, if you see what I mean. Ive still got Live and ProTools, but because both are focussed in particular ways they kind of lean to in a given direction; Sonar was a bit broader in scope. Its more a question of revisiting the process than the tools, really.

Zexila wrote:
jonljacobi wrote:I had been working around things in Bitwig because I loved the look and expected fixes for some obvious issues, then they changed the interface and didn't fix the issues and I could no longer ignore the fact that I can simply get everything done in Ableton Live a whole lot faster. And then there's Grooves.

Did you looked at Cubase?
Yes. At times I've used it. I find it too complex in approach and visually. I waste way too much time hunting around for what I want to do. Same with Studio One. I think the slow interface revamp is headed in the right direction. If and when they allow the interface to scale... Maybe.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”