which iPad? pro? 10" vs 13" ?

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm thinking about to get an iPad just for music.

Thinking about lemur but also all other apps. I have not so much knowledge about the gems so far.

I would like to keep it cheap, but I have no budget limit.

Does it makes sense to get a pro with 13" with a stylus or is it bad because the larger layout is not supported and the stylus makes no sense for audio?

How much space is needed just for audio apps?

Which model would you suggest? I've read that the current iPad has a worse screen than the previous model?

If I were to buy an iPad that would just be used at home/studio, i would likely spring for the extra real estate. I find the normal 9" fine for my fingers with most applications, but I'd bet they'd all be much more comfortable with the larger screen. And certainly for apps like Lemur where you are able to scale your own ui elements, you will be able to squeeze much more functionality out of the space.

As for the stylus: I'm not sure how compatible it is with apps, currently. However, if (Like me) you have an interest in going back to handwriting notes, emails etc, or have more than a passing interest in trying to learn to draw/paint Like me), or edit photos, then the stylus is a no-brainer. I only spent a few minutes with one at an Apple store, and it was a great experience. Makes my current ipad/stylus arrangement feel a little too 'My Left Foot'

I agree for studio go for the bigger screen. For portable work that’s a toss up. I went from the 13 to 10 this summer because for the size and weight (with Smart Keyboard) it was better for me to use my MacBook instead. I’m using it 90% outside of the studio.

The stylus/pen is great for drawing in notes on a piano roll and just overall easier to make precise adjustments to virtual knobs and sliders.

As for size, if you're going to be using it on the go, the 10 is probably a better choice.

I have the 13" latest iPad Pro... the thing weighs like nothing... fits easily in any of my backpacks/cases. There is a point where slightly less weight just makes no real difference. I say go for the extra screen space... and the stylus is great (but I like to draw too)

I have have the 13" one too and I bought it for the purpose of being mobile.

So far I've taken it with on daily city travels and international travels too (including using it on flights and trains). Its a perfect size as it is still smaller than many laptops making it easy to fit in any backpack (Timbuk2 has lots of compact ones that are highly functional) and as pdxindy says its actually light.

I also would recommend the pencil for either size (but the larger is more fun to draw on).

I recently purchased the 10" iPad Pro. It's my third iPad, but one I had specifically picked up for integrating with my OTB gear. I've integrated it via an iConnectMIDI4+ with my external synths, etc. Now that I am using it though... am kicking myself for not getting the 13" one. The extra screen real estate would have been nice to have.

I've heard rumors that Cubasis. One of the big IOS daws. Is blurry and painful to look at on the 12 inch screen...can't confirm however. Also can't confirmed if the recent cubasus update this month fixed that This was just through the reviews. Apparently it's not configured to the IPad Pro 12 yet or something.
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

Get the 13". I've been quite happy having the extra space or easier view/control space. It's light and easy enough to be portable.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”