Gibson axes Cakewalk /Sonar

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

cryophonik wrote:
Congratulations, you sound like a brain-dead, high school dropout Trump supporter.
:hihi:

SuperG wrote:
beau921 wrote:
GreyLion wrote:They got raided years ago for using illegal wood in their guitars, and it's widely known that their entire guitar line has turned to sh*t within the last decade
Not exactly illegal wood, as this article from 2014 explains.

http://humanevents.com/2014/05/30/the-t ... -revealed/

And, further, I bought a couple Gibson guitars over the past year, and they have far from "turned to sh*t." Still, overall, the best guitars money can buy in whatever respective price range.

But, hey, don't let facts get in the way of Gibson hate.
How so ever true - just use some fetid wingnut propaganda article like the above to obfuscate the truth... :clap:
Yes, that article is absolute RWNJ garbage.

Gibson is over half a billion in dept... and it's about time to pay-the-piper.
That means stopping the bleeding, generating as much capital as possible, and refocusing on their core business.

If you read the statement from Gibson, it basically says they're not investing in further development of Sonar.

Sonar's "demise" has nothing to do with the actual program, staff, etc.
It's a by-product of a mother company that's struggling to survive.
The Memphis Factory is up for sale. A Gibson Warehouse is also for sale.

Many low-ball comments on here...
This has nothing to do with politics.
Even if you're not a fan, why in the world would you rejoice about such news?
Families are now facing the Holiday Season with lost jobs and an uncertain future.
Healthy competition is good for everyone (even those not using Sonar).
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Bug Music wrote: - Jay
not commenting on your post, just one of the better usernames...I hope it's from the same reference :)

we hate bug music
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

pekbro wrote:Why couldn't you authorize it? You can still seemingly redeem a purchase code. They state clearly that the system will continue to work, being manned by a dedicated team...
But for how long? Two months? Six months? Indefinitely? Without some clearer assurances, no user wants to take a chance that he'll wake up one morning and find a problem with Sonar -- and there's no way to reinstall/activate it.

Even their "Offline Activation" process requires a login to the site from another online PC. If the CW site is taken down at some point then that's the end of any activation.

Hink wrote: not commenting on your post, just one of the better usernames...I hope it's from the same reference :)

we hate bug music
Yup, that's me ! :)

- Jay
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"You know I love you honey, and of course you're still sexy for me, just like on Day 1. It's just that ... sorry, I feel I should be batch rendering stems right now...."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tDj_Van ... uNbgY-4qFK

I'm not the Messiah. I'm not the Messiah!

Surprising? Not really. Their marketshare didn't seem to justify continued development costs. I think you'll see the same thing with other smaller share DAWs. 10 years from now I think we can be guaranteed that Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase, and Ableton will be around. They're very entrenched. FL Studio probably falls into that category as well (to a lesser extent) with its adoption by younger hip hop and EDM producers. Beyond that, perhaps Digital Performer, but I feel that is not longe the DAW of choice for new film composers (all Cubase and Logic). Studio One (as much as I love it) still has a ways to go to solidify a permanent position - I would bet that it disappears unless they can radically grow the user base quickly. Bitwig...well, I think they'll get bought out or run out of money.

I think you will find most are angry at Gibson not Cakewalk, angry at corporate takeovers in general.

Lets hope a smaller more suitable developer picks up the pieces and Gibson don't just bury it.

That would really prove if it's political or not.
Jim Roseberry wrote:Gibson is over half a billion in dept... and it's about time to pay-the-piper.
That means stopping the bleeding, generating as much capital as possible, and refocusing on their core business.

If you read the statement from Gibson, it basically says they're not investing in further development of Sonar.

Sonar's "demise" has nothing to do with the actual program, staff, etc.
It's a by-product of a mother company that's struggling to survive.
The Memphis Factory is up for sale. A Gibson Warehouse is also for sale.

Many low-ball comments on here...
This has nothing to do with politics.
Even if you're not a fan, why in the world would you rejoice about such news?
Families are now facing the Holiday Season with lost jobs and an uncertain future.
Healthy competition is good for everyone (even those not using Sonar).

5Lives wrote:Surprising? Not really. Their marketshare didn't seem to justify continued development costs. I think you'll see the same thing with other smaller share DAWs. 10 years from now I think we can be guaranteed that Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase, and Ableton will be around. They're very entrenched. FL Studio probably falls into that category as well (to a lesser extent) with its adoption by younger hip hop and EDM producers. Beyond that, perhaps Digital Performer, but I feel that is not longe the DAW of choice for new film composers (all Cubase and Logic). Studio One (as much as I love it) still has a ways to go to solidify a permanent position - I would bet that it disappears unless they can radically grow the user base quickly. Bitwig...well, I think they'll get bought out or run out of money.
Your forgeting the Hardware integtation, the main reason Presonus bought Studio One. The hamburg team is really a separate entity but the focus is the hardware here in the states ie Baton Rouge. As long as that is the focus Studio One as a DAW will survive in some form.

They have gone through some growing pains but they are progressing. The Quantum interface is quite amazing, that alone may give them a few new DAW customers.

Just saw the Gibson, "It's All Rock & Roll" Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade float featuring Jimmy Fallon, not using the Sonar workstation, go by.
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

topaz wrote:I think you will find most are angry at Gibson not Cakewalk, angry at corporate takeovers in general.
Jim Roseberry wrote:Gibson is over half a billion in dept... and it's about time to pay-the-piper.
That was one of the biggest problems with Cakewalk. The rabid fanboy user base was NEVER mad at Cakewalk. They could never take or give any real CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. In their eyes, Cakewalk could do no wrong. Have you ever gone to their forum and asked about why some basic features are so cumbersome in Sonar, yet so simple in other programs? When you do, you're met with a mob mentality of criticism, animosity, and extreme antagonism. With that type of core user base, how could a program ever develop? How could they EVER get an honest assessment of what the program is, and how it fits in among it's competition? From my perspective, there's absolutely NO mystery about why Cakewalk failed. A program gets better when the programmers listen to the users and work with them to improve it. If the users are all "Yes" men, then it's actually counterproductive.

I remember I once started a thread about "Recording, or Input Quantize" as a feature request. Everyday after work for a week and a half, I would come home and reply to all of the hateful post that other users posted on my thread. It was so brutal that it was like a second job. A version and a few points releases later they added it under the radar. Every program out there has input quantize, yet for Cakewalk and it's user base, it was almost as if they DELIBERATELY WANTED Sonar to stay in the dark ages. I think that was around version 6 or 7, and that was when I knew Sonar just wasn't for me. I was already using Ableton Live at the time anyway.

Gibson being so much in debt tells you EXACTLY how much of a loser Cakewalk really was. If you were that much in debt, the LAST thing you would do is cut the divisions of your company that were actually lucrative and profitable. Ending Cakewalk so abruptly just shows that it could not have been making any profits at all. I'd actually be lying if I didn't say that I feel somewhat vindicated for abandoning Cakewalk/Sonar and embracing Live, Studio One 3, and Cubase Pro. My only fear now is that the poisonous and viscous "Yes Man" Sonar forum user base takes over some other poor unsuspecting company's forum and ruins the program and the communication dynamic. I'm hoping that's not the case, but it does seem like a lot of their forum users are setting their eyes on Studio One. Only time will tell.
Last edited by kb420 on Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lingyai wrote:"You know I love you honey, and of course you're still sexy for me, just like on Day 1. It's just that ... sorry, I feel I should be batch rendering stems right now...."
hilarious. thank you for that much needed laugh
my newest sounds:
https://soundcloud.com/the-das-kaput

Cakewalk by BandLab, Komplete 13, Maschine 2 (MKI & Jam), Fathom Synth, Guitars, Jam Origin MIDI Guitar, EXH Superego+ etc

Bug Music wrote:
Hink wrote: not commenting on your post, just one of the better usernames...I hope it's from the same reference :)

we hate bug music
Yup, that's me ! :)

- Jay
:tu:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Astralv wrote:Sonar improved and progressed under Gibson more than under any other companies. I had many hopes that Roland will be good for Sonar because it was keyboard company, but they were not able to manage it. I dont think Gibson was planning to Kill it. The model with monthly updates was very powerful. They started implementing some serious innovations, the software became stable like never before, and it was great to work with. There was a promise of great future and we supported it the best we could. Apparently, we did not get enough supporters on board or Gibson had to cut losses and abandon it due to other reasons. The Cakewalk Team was delivering on their promise and Sonar was getting better every month. It is sad that they had to abandon it when it became so good. I dread to switch to other DAW. Also i am afraid- the Windows updates will make it obsolete in a year or so.
This X10000000

It is a total pleasure to work with now. Hope someone buys it and continues development.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”