Gibson axes Cakewalk /Sonar

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I’ll say it again ... I’m pretty sure Gibson is not a publicly traded company ... If not, Wallstreet has nothing to do with this.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

:D
Proof positive that you can't get decent software free with a magazine:

CM should have a do-over for their last issue :lol:

raintalk wrote::D
Proof positive that you can't get decent software free with a magazine:

CM should have a do-over for their last issue :lol:
Right? Im a subscriber and Thats so disappointing :( . I was planning to at least Download the Rapture Sesson over the holiday season. I guess there is still the Sinevibes plugin...that does me no good because I use Windows primarily :hihi:

Eh. Oh well...Is what it is I guess. Sample packs were still good.
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

SJ_Digriz wrote:I’ll say it again ... I’m pretty sure Gibson is not a publicly traded company ... If not, Wallstreet has nothing to do with this.
Depends on where Juszkiewicz got his money. Likely, a lot of it came from Wall Street investment bankers, and they want their pound of flesh. Gibson got greedy, thought it could turn an easy profit on financed aquisitions. Hey, it was easy to leverage Gibson itself on the backs of cheap "right to work" union-busting Tennesee labor, right? It worked then... but this is Wall Street and if you look around and can't see the mark, it's you.

Russell Grand wrote:
cryophonik wrote:
Congratulations, you sound like a brain-dead, high school dropout Trump supporter.
:hihi:
The irony is Trump supporters' income is higher than Hillary's :hihi:

Terrible news but sadly I am not too surprised. Great staff who gave everything they could. I wish them all the best. The brand will likely not recover (if nothing is done immediately). Most will switch in the next month. By the new year, it will be all over for the most part.

A really great DAW but sometimes the best laid plans... :scared:

My GOD! :o

This could only be Gibson! They did the same thing with Opcode many years ago: bought it and shut it down after just a few years. ...and then refusing us developers to use the OMS (similar to ReWire, and used in lots of audio software). As a former market manager in this business and relying on OMS, I personally begged the folks at Gibson to release OMS as open source, or just give it to our company so that we could work on it and release it for free in our turn.

Did I say I hate Gibson?

Such a shame! Sonar has a number of unique features (such as VocalSync), and one can tell taht their dev's have been working their buts off with it. :(

By the way: Damn Gibson!
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Bug Music wrote:
GrabtharsHammer wrote:Could the person(s) responsible for Sonar‘s Drum Grid pane please switch over to Apple‘s Logic team, please? ;-)
Well, IIRC when the evil empire (Gibson) dropped the hammer on Opcode, they did not even want Opcode's OMS MIDI manager software to be distributed.

Since there was no other (reliable) MIDI manager software available for the Mac at the time (edit: I forgot that MOTU did have a competing product, but it was not as popular at the time), OMS had become the "defacto" standard software that a lot of other companies used to manage MIDI connections on the Mac.

There was some legal wrangling, and even threats of lawsuits from some former Opcode guys IIRC, before Gibson agreed to let OMS be distributed.

About a year or so later, it turns out that Doug Wyatt (the guy that wrote OMS at Opcode) became an Apple employee and wrote what is now the Apple "Audio MIDI Setup" program (around OS X 10.2 I think).

The most sickening part of this whole thing is that even though Gibson had other offers to buy Opcode's intellectual property (I actually heard this from ex-Opcode guys), they decided instead to let it whither on the vine and die.

Hopefully somebody can pick up Cakewalk as a whole entity and continue development, but you never know where folks are going to end up, it happened once before that Gibson's loss was Apple's gain. :D

- Jay
Wow - nice to see another person from that era! :) I spoke to Doug too several times and asked him to join us (NoteHeads in Stockholm). I can imagine he felt Apple was a more reasonable choice. :D

From what I can understand, Opcode does the same thing again - turning down offers or other solutions (if I'm correct) and throwing away the key. I can understand that they need to cut their losses, but it's they way they do it, as a lot of people are stating here...

Also, I was looking at Sonar just a few weeks ago in case I needed something bigger than MuLab. There are many cool features in Sonar (such as VocalSync), and Cakewalk has a tradition of creating many other fine products as well. Killed off after thirty years - it's a shame!
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

I just got an order from American Musical Supply.

Inside the box was a brochure 'Gear Up - Introducing the Gibson 2018 Models.'

31 pages of full color pictures of the Gibson family of fine instruments.

So, good news. It looks as though they may make into the new year.

:party: :tu: :hihi:

Does anyone know what that means for the Cakewalk Command Center? It'll probably stop working at some point, right?

EdgarRothermich wrote:As it was mentioned before, the main cancer in the industry is the OBSESSION with growth. If a company has a great product and is making money with it, then it is punished by Wallstreet. You have to show growth, growth, growth. In order to do that, companies hire these beancounters that have no relationship to the actual product whatsoever. They have learned their business schemes and apply them, acquisition, buying, selling, manipulating, just to make Wallstreet and their criminal institutions of legalized gambling happy.

The customer doesn't matter, and even worse, the people who work at the company who actually make the products don't care.
The beancounters get reward for running a company into the ground and move over to ruin other people's live, I mean make money for other shareholders.
Edgar, you're so absolutely right. I couldn't have said it any better. But a lot will have to happen before those Wallstreet fanatics will finally realize that virtually NOTHING can keep growing all the time.

In the end, it all comes down to the basic problem of our economic system, which propagates that continuous growth is a must. This, however, is one of the most disastrous delusions of modern economy.

Considering alot of people dont rate Cakewalk theres alot of threads and opinion covering the current topic, like some people have only just been born onto planet earth
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Crap, crap, crap... I don't care so much for the updates, but this means in couple of months probably I won't be able to reinstall it, as it needs online activation. Sucks big time. I have no hope they will come with some elegant solution like Camel did...

Gibson should axe the guitar department too. I fell for one this summer and the quality was fairly disappointing. Maybe move production to China? Call it a Chipson.

Here a post I wrote for the steam sonar guys.

“Theres really no reason to believe that Sonar wont keep working for quite some time. They have explicitly stated that the servers will remain online and all your assets available to you. They've set up a dedicated team to keep things operational and presumably see to customer needs.

Its even possible that they have retained some devs to deal with any fixes that might arise due to changes in Windows or whatever.

The only thing they have really said, is that Sonar will not be developed any further. That doesn't necessarily mean that they wont be maintaining operability. Honestly, they have a responsibility to do whatever they can for Cakewalk customers, no doubt they are not oblivious to that. The main reason being that they could likely be sued for reneging on the lifetime thing.”

-Cheers

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”