Unfair Upgrade Pricing

Official support for: arturia.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm trying to understand from Arturia how as a current license holder how me having to pay $199 for an upgrade where I get 4 new synths compared to a new user who buys the package is getting 21 synths for the exact same price makes sense?

How in the world does a new user and an existing customer each pay $199 for the same package?

Just to be clear, new users do pay more than $199. Brand new users pay $399 right now. Those with some Arturia products pay $249.

I'm not disagreeing that the upgrade price is off, but your OP is not quite correct.

You are correct. Yesterday when I first went over to the Arturia site and prior to logging in the price was listed at $199, maybe Arturia had a cookie on my PC that was showing me the upgrade price without me being logged in.

So I logged in and saw that my upgrade price was $199 and thought it a rough deal that first time buyers and people upgrading was at the same price.

Thanks for setting this straight and my apologies to Arturia for the misunderstanding.

You are correct. Yesterday when I first went over to the Arturia site and prior to logging in the price was listed at $199, maybe Arturia had a cookie on my PC that was showing me the upgrade price without me being logged in.

So I logged in and saw that my upgrade price was $199 and thought it a rough deal that first time buyers and people upgrading was at the same price.

Thanks for setting this straight and my apologies to Arturia for the misunderstanding.

I feel the same.

The upgrade price for a V5 owner as me, is 200 USD. Which is fine so far.

What I find unfair is that a V3 user also pays 200 USD and gets way more compared to a V5 user. And at the same time he saved 400 USD not having updated to V4 and V5 before. Of course that user didn't got the instruments and updates in between V3 and V6. Still it's disappointing to be treated the same.

Me updating frequently, which gives the company a bigger support. I paid about 600 USD from V3 to V6.
On the other hand a V3 user spent only 200 USD, but gets finally the same value as me.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

Yes, I definitely believe there's some fair criticism of the upgrade prices.

jsp1979 wrote:Yes, I definitely believe there's some fair criticism of the upgrade prices.
Just to make myself clear. I accept the price tag of 200 USD for a V5 user. Many updates of the existing instruments, plus 4 new instruments, plus the new Analog Lab. So 200 bucks is quite a good price.

I only whine and complain and weep and cry like a baby that V4 and V3 (even V2?) user get the same price :hug: I guess I just envy them :cry: Lucky bastards :love:

Probably this way Arturia tries to lure them into V6 :tu:
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

From what I recall, the initial upgrade price for v5 was also €/$199. This came down to €/$99 around a year later for Collection owners IIRC.

Gamma-UT wrote:This came down to €/$99 around a year later for Collection owners IIRC.
Then as much as I would love to play with the Buchla, I'll wait for that sale or wait another year for Version 7.

This schema of upgrade pricing is not similar to Komplete?

Who wait more to upgrade gets more than who upgrades all the years.

Maybe the way of doing is just doing the same as Komplete, skipping one update, always, cause I bet that when V Collection 7 appears, the upgrade price of users from V6 will be the same of users of versions < 6.

Those that skip upgrades are making a choice as much as those that upgrade to every new version.

They trade not having the new features/instruments for a (sometimes big) while versus spending less when finally catching-up to the latest version.

It's a balanced tradeoff, IMHO. To be always updated, that'll cost you.

I kept skipping Komplete updates, staying with K8. All this time, I couldn't use all the K9, K10 and K11 new features. ...then, I finally was able to upgrade to K11.
Obviously, I paid less (in total) than anyone the went through all the in-between versions.
Is that unfair? Obviously not! Those that did it were able to use/enjoy every new feature when they wanted.
...so, that is why companies like NI, Propellhead or Arturia doing this "any old version to latest" upgrade for the same price seems fair (to me) where anyone can decide if this is the time to "sync" with the latest.

Now, is 199 a fair price for VC upgrade? Honestly? Compared with other bundle/collection upgrades, yes it's comparatively fair, although I would loved to see it more towards the 149 figure, at least to older VC5 owners or Black Friday recent upgrades (which BTW I think anyone that bought VC5 in the last 5 weeks will get VC6 for free, but check it first, don't quote me on that).

What's throwing a wrench at all of this is the "have 2 products? Upgrade for 249!" thing.
Now that is what, IMHO, is unbalancing everything when doing price comparisons per instrument.
Maybe there's an easy logic I'm not getting, but that's what looks like to me, currently.

Are the VC6 5 new instruments (Clavinet V, DX7 V, Buchla Easel V, CMI V and Piano V2) worth a 199 upgrade? Absolutely! If you're planning to use them, of course it is well worth it.
Getting an improved Piano V and 4 new very interesting instruments for that amount to join the previous collection while getting Analog Lab 3 for free, is well worth it for those needing them right now, IMHO :)

What about the $ vs Euro pricing. $199 vs 100 Euro's. That seems more unfair to me
Nu-Rave.com

Fluffbomb wrote:What about the $ vs Euro pricing. $199 vs 100 Euro's. That seems more unfair to me
I've not seen that, could you post a screencap? I tried changing country in my profile to see Euro pricing but it was 199Euro's too?

Fluffbomb wrote:What about the $ vs Euro pricing. $199 vs 100 Euro's. That seems more unfair to me
Haven't seen 100€ anywhere.

Only 399€, 199€ and 249€ (on respective offers).

The upgrade for me, been upgrading since version 4... is $199.
I’ve been having lengthy email debates with Arturia’s support but they will not budge on the price.
I’ve decided to put my license up for sale as $199 for updates every 1.5 years is too expensive for me.

Return to “Arturia”