New Wolfgang Palm (PPG Infinite) tool coming...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Infinite PRO

pdxindy wrote:Oddly... it seems you can automate the Y axis of the Morpher X/Y but not the X axis...
I don't have Infinite yet, but with other synths having that Y-not-X issue you can go into a DAW's VST editor to find the X axis parameter and drag it to the second automation track (yes its a PITA).

Also, if you change the X/Y while recording, some DAWs show only one axis in an automation track, but record both.

The Infinite Analyser seems to provide a great workflow, and I am also curious about morphing between concrete sounds!
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

Michael L wrote:
pdxindy wrote:Oddly... it seems you can automate the Y axis of the Morpher X/Y but not the X axis...
I don't have Infinite yet, but with other synths having that Y-not-X issue you can go into a DAW's VST editor to find the X axis parameter and drag it to the second automation track (yes its a PITA).

Also, if you change the X/Y while recording, some DAWs show only one axis in an automation track, but record both.

The Infinite Analyser seems to provide a great workflow, and I am also curious about morphing between concrete sounds!
Okay... Morph Frequency is Y and Morph Gain is X... When I move the X/Y around while recording both are recorded, but only the Y plays back... so it is a bug.

Neon Breath wrote:
simmo75 wrote:
Totolitoto wrote:
teacue wrote:
Neon Breath wrote:Can it really perform straight forward morphing, like let's say a simple cymbal sound into meow cat or a flute? A simple from A to B morph?
Yes it can.
Could you provide an example please? I'm hooked :)

don't see any demo, is there any?
There’s a demo of the morphing on the PPG website.
Which one? I've checked them and nope, there's no straight forward from A to B morphing between two clean and recognizable sound sources, everything sounds synthish and melted together like a mishmash. Show me a true morphing in Infinite between two sounds like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt9tXXaXRrM
Yes, that's what I'm talking about, thanks
But I tend to think Kyma are and will stay the only way to get true morphing

Alchemy does that, so does Zynaptiq Morph

Never tried Alchemy, bought Morph2 but sold it back. It was by far the best VST for morphing but still very desapointing compared to Kyma

I never thought that morphing is so good with any plug-ins (never had the pleasure or money to go Kyma so i can´t comment on this one...but what i saw about it the GUI´s would me turn off).
I had not time to dive into Infinite Pro yet but hope i have next week.
Alchemy´s morphing seems good but mostly i end up using just blend. In most cases it works better for me and i don´t see really benefits from morph here.
I got even some more interesting results often using a tiny iOS app where i can blend 32 sound sources (up to 4 will be played at the same time) and/or synthesis via a grid of choice. Like vector synthesis on steroids.
But maybe it´s of course user fault or indeed all the morphing is not too good and not worth the cpu it might use.
Sculpture does the best morphing of timbres i heard yet from any tool but of course you can´t import your own samples and it´s limited for the sources you can use then.
Maybe we just hear what we want to hear :D
But i still love Alchemy´s morph pads since it´s everything so smooth and easy to set-up.
More synth should have such a feature. And no, Kore is dead!!!

pdxindy wrote:
Michael L wrote:

Okay... Morph Frequency is Y and Morph Gain is X... When I move the X/Y around while recording both are recorded, but only the Y plays back... so it is a bug.
Okay... on further examination... it works fine in Logic. So it is something between Bitwig and Infinite. I sent both developers an email.

Totolitoto wrote: But I tend to think Kyma are and will stay the only way to get true morphing
Kyma is unmatched for that... I would not call it true morphing since others are not false, just not the same quality.

Of course I have also read Kyma users say that it is very much material dependent. So even with Kyma, the impressive audio demos have been cherry picked.

I do not find that sort of morphing to be all that musically relevant for myself. I suppose it would be good for special FX for sci-fi TV shows :)

Most of the time I want morphing is for more ambient and soundscape sounds... which a number of synths do well... including synths that have no morph functions as such.

Oh I find morphing extremely useful musically. eg I made a number of pieces using Modelonia setup to morph between several radically different acoustic and synthetic sounds in NI Kore 2 - the way I see it I can do the sort of thing Berio did in his Sequenza series by pushing an instrument to its timbral limits, except that this allows the limits to be even wider and can create very exciting expressive timbral shifts.

aMUSEd wrote:Oh I find morphing extremely useful musically. eg I made a number of pieces using Modelonia setup to morph between several radically different acoustic and synthetic sounds in NI Kore 2 - the way I see it I can do the sort of thing Berio did in his Sequenza series by pushing an instrument to its timbral limits, except that this allows the limits to be even wider and can create very exciting expressive timbral shifts.
I was only referring to the cat meow into a car alarm or whatever... I don't find that particularly useful musically... and of course, that is just myself.

Morphing in general though is fun and I enjoy doing it in various ways. I've done some interesting morphing with Bazille... because of the ability to do complex feedback loops, some unexpected and compelling results happen.

Infinite is going to take some exploring to see where it can go.

From the manual concerning the morphing topic:
In X direction, the gains of the sinusoidal components are morphed.
In Y the frequencies are morphed.
Or in other words: the frequencies are controlled by the middle and top or bottom,
the gains of the partials from centre and left or right.
So this is a more flexible approach where 2 separate aspects can be morphed independently and not just merged, as in other morphing plug-ins/synths. Morphing a cymbal into a cat meow might not work, but I wouldn't be to sad about that :)
It all starts with the re-synthesis process, find/create the best possible sources for spectral re-synthesis, then bother with the morphing aspect.

EDIT
In Alchemy 2/LogicX one can also morph different aspects independently or only to a certain degree, the results are sometimes spectacular/very musical, sometimes just garbled noise, it all depends on the sources.

Is there a demo? I couldn't seem to find one.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:Is there a demo? I couldn't seem to find one.
There probably won't be a demo until after the introductory period ends.

A downloadable manual would be helpful in lieu of a demo.
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

wagtunes wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:Is there a demo? I couldn't seem to find one.
There probably won't be a demo until after the introductory period ends.

No demo until January

Return to “Instruments”