Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Satin Virtual Tape Machines (VTM)

Urs wrote:
Tp3 wrote:
sascha wrote:Let me cite the manual:
"- Internal sample rate 352 – 384kHz
(depends on project sample rate, 8-times oversampling at 44.1kHz)
- Bias oscillator frequency: 118 – 128kHz"

That doesn't come for free. ;)
Now I understand what brings my 9550 to its knees...
Well, hehe, it doesn't do so on most other computers though.
YOU MOCK MY PAIN :x :cry:

:D

Time for a new computer...
Last edited by Tp3 on Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

double
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Urs wrote:
Tp3 wrote:
sascha wrote:Let me cite the manual:
"- Internal sample rate 352 – 384kHz
(depends on project sample rate, 8-times oversampling at 44.1kHz)
- Bias oscillator frequency: 118 – 128kHz"

That doesn't come for free. ;)
Now I understand what brings my 9550 to its knees...
Well, hehe, it doesn't do so on most other computers though.

Thing is, tape as such has a HF-signal (150kHz "Bias" signal) which is an integral part of how tape magnetisation works. Any tape emulation must oversample to 300+kHz internally or the HF signal will cause bad aliasing. If a tape plug-in doesn't oversample as much and has no audible aliasing... it doesn't emulate the HF signal and is therefore no tape emulation ;)
good infos, thanks u-he-men!

...just did a session with everything running i usually work with plus eleven instances of satin and my cpu was at about 50 %. that is really fine with me and the plugin sounds awesome - from subtle to driving it a little harder. at least in the middle of that damn crackle-copy-protection :)
with more instances running, it is really tough demoing it.i mean, to get a good overall impression.this protection works for the instruments but with effects it`s kind of annoying...but now i know what i have to do to get that out of the way :wink:

Has anybody tried out ROUNDTONE by Sknote Audio? I think it is quite nice sounding and the tape delay is very cool gritty and dirty sounding. But I have absolutely no comparison to the higher priced tape machine emulations like Satin or Slates machine and I don't know how authentically Roundtone really is.

Can anybody say something about this matter?

Thank you in advance. Cheers.

Oh good heavens, my old topic from 2013. :D

I still have Satin, but I've sold VTM long time ago. I use Satin mainly on drum bus. I guess I just got bored with VTM. I had it on mys master bus for years but replaced it with Waves J37.

Also bought UAD-2 Octo in spring and got UAD Studer and Ampex. Studer is great on guitar tracks, sometimes on drum bus, and... well, pretty much on everything. I also use Kramer Master Tape on bass and kick. It has a really nice n' nasty grit.
Optimal number of audio plugins is one more than you currently have.

nichttuntun wrote:Has anybody tried out ROUNDTONE by Sknote Audio? ... like Satin ... how authentically Roundtone really is.
I have Roundtone and Satin. How authentic these tape emulations are? I do not know. But they both can sound lovely.

I like what Roundtone does but Satin is a completely different league. Soundwise, better usability and more flexible. Satin has a test version btw. Check it out.

Thank you both for your replies.

3 years old but not out of fashion :) Nice You found it again. You got quite a collection. I guess every emulation has it's own character. Good to have a choice.

Yes I will try out Satin. I love the u-he stuff. Got three synth from them and they are just fantastic. Therefore I can imagine that Satin will be no disappointment for me. I have to save money first.

Roundtone sounds good and it really rounds the tone somehow but whenever I use it as an insert effect and I am playing the Ivory piano I realise little crackles here and there. They even appear when I reduce gain in Ivory and Roundtone :( it's the only plugin which does that and I have no clue why.

Cheers

Ps.
Is Satin such a CPU hog as the u-he Synth?

nichttuntun wrote: Is Satin such a CPU hog as the u-he Synth?
It does internal oversampling (8x at 44k or 48k project rate, 4x at 88/96k), so that's quite some numbercrunching. However, it's usually not that much to worry about. Just try the demo and apply it on multiple tracks at once to check in your environment.
Sascha Eversmeier
drummer of The Board
software dev in the studio-speaker biz | former plugin creator [u-he, samplitude & digitalfishphones]

okay :)

Return to “Effects”