Ableton 10 multiple midi notes question

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Have some questions for those in beta.
Firstly how's the multi note editing going?
Secondly how many tracks does it give you to edit?
Thirdly does this work in session view and arrangement?
Thanks

Kinh wrote:Have some questions for those in beta.
Thanks

Going well, I would like to see changes to how you interact between clips, hope they could color the not active clips notes.
I would have to tried but 4 is what I have been using.
Yes it work in both.
dedication to flying

can you a midi vst send midi on more than one channel in version 10?

Just tested, you can edit up to 8 clips simultaneously.

dusted william wrote:can you a midi vst send midi on more than one channel in version 10?

I don't understand you. But since you don't sellect the outputs for one track but the inputs per track in fact you can send MIDI from one channel to multiple ones, better said: multiple channels can have the same source.
dedication to flying

rod_zero wrote:
dusted william wrote:can you a midi vst send midi on more than one channel in version 10?

I don't understand you. But since you don't sellect the outputs for one track but the inputs per track in fact you can send MIDI from one channel to multiple ones, better said: multiple channels can have the same source.
hehe, I'm pretty bad at explaining this.

Say you have a VST arp like Nora. Next I have midi track with a synth on it set to receive midi from the Nora track. The problem is the receiving track can only receive all channels.. not individual ones ch1, ch2, ch3.

how does this work in Live 10?

I second that question. I use NORA, and other multi-channel VST's also. Do I get any channelizing flexibility? At all? External Instruments don't cut it.

I think there was no change in Live 10 with the internal MIDI channels.

Nora seems near-identical to Live's MIDI workflow, why would one need it inside Live?

pottering wrote:I think there was no change in Live 10 with the internal MIDI channels.

Nora seems near-identical to Live's MIDI workflow, why would one need it inside Live?
I use it for the arp, and to follow chords. It's a pain to use in Live. If only....

dusted william wrote:
rod_zero wrote:

hehe, I'm pretty bad at explaining this.

Say you have a VST arp like Nora. Next I have midi track with a synth on it set to receive midi from the Nora track. The problem is the receiving track can only receive all channels.. not individual ones ch1, ch2, ch3.

how does this work in Live 10?

The same as in 9, so yeah, when selecting other tracks as MIDI source there isn't an option to select individual MIDI channels. I am going to suggests this.
dedication to flying

Thanks! I hope they can do it :)

I don't know if this is exactly what you're talking about, but when I use EZ Drummer, I put it on one track, and send multiple other tracks to it (Snare/BD, toms, cymbals, etc.). I have to set the MIDI input channel of the EZ Drummer track to something other than the one used by my MIDI keyboard, or it receives and plays that input when I want the output of the keyboard to play another instrument.

What all the means is that you can indeed change the MIDI input channel for a track.

jonljacobi wrote:I don't know if this is exactly what you're talking about, but when I use EZ Drummer, I put it on one track, and send multiple other tracks to it (Snare/BD, toms, cymbals, etc.). I have to set the MIDI input channel of the EZ Drummer track to something other than the one used by my MIDI keyboard, or it receives and plays that input when I want the output of the keyboard to play another instrument.

What all the means is that you can indeed change the MIDI input channel for a track.

It is possible to send different sources with different MIDI channels to a single track, that is easy with external instrument. Also racks can be used to some extent.

But what he describes, while I think it has a workaround, it is not easily done and it could be just so much easier with a little change.
dedication to flying

Thanks
It's good for Live, it's pretty poor compared to Bitwig:
- you can't edit (e.g. move, extend/crop, delete) notes from several clips at once,
- it doesn't follow playback, so what you see is not aligned with playhead and you can edit clips that don't play at the same time (why would you even do that?),
- it loops the clips & looks for common denominator, so if you multi-edit 2 clips of 20 and 21 bars, it will show you 420 bars (20*21),
- it doesn't work with audio clips at all

NOT the improvement I was hoping for.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote:
Thanks
It's good for Live, it's pretty poor compared to Bitwig:
- you can't edit (e.g. move, extend/crop, delete) notes from several clips at once,
- it doesn't follow playback, so what you see is not aligned with playhead and you can edit clips that don't play at the same time (why would you even do that?),
- it loops the clips & looks for common denominator, so if you multi-edit 2 clips of 20 and 21 bars, it will show you 420 bars (20*21),
- it doesn't work with audio clips at all

NOT the improvement I was hoping for.
It's late in the day and the caffeine's nearly diluted from my blood stream so I'm getting a little confused.

You cant edit notes from several clips at once? What do you mean by this? Others say you can. You mean edit the same way for other tracks like duplicate?

It doesn't follow playback? You mean you cant see the marker as it moves as you would with one track?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”