Komplete Kontrol Mk2 vs Nektar Panorama for Bitwig 2.2 ?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Playing around with my KK MK2 and it's got a great keybed BUT isn't integrating with Bitwig. Based on research it looks like there's no light at the end of the tunnel yet? Or am I missing a news update?

Considering returning it for a Nektar P4 or P6 but would like to hear from other users if they have experience with them in Bitwig 2.

Appreciate the input!

Take the KK MK 1, I doubt there will be a Bitwig integration soon for the MK 2 :(

Since I created device maps for all my plugins setup to work with the generic 8 knob controller script it didn't take much (just changing cc numbers to match those of the KK - or I could have changed them in the KK - and changing device name and UID) to edit that script to work with the Mk2 keyboard knobs to control all devices (native and third party). So it can be integrated that far using what's available. For me that's enough as I rarely need to use a hardware controller just to start and stop transport/record, for me these are minor needs, nice to have but not essential. But I know deeper integration can mean a lot more than that and this would require more advanced scripting which is beyond my skills. In principle it would probably not be too hard to map the 8 white buttons to things like transport, they do have cc numbers. Not ideal but a temp workaround, I'm hoping NI will be adding MCU support at least at some point, they have hinted they plan to.

PhilG wrote:Take the KK MK 1, I doubt there will be a Bitwig integration soon for the MK 2 :(
I bought the Mk2 already. Luckily I'm still inside the "demo" window. Shame it's got a great keybed..

aMUSEd wrote:Since I created device maps for all my plugins setup to work with the generic 8 knob controller script it didn't take much (just changing cc numbers to match those of the KK - or I could have changed them in the KK - and changing device name and UID) to edit that script to work with the Mk2 keyboard knobs to control all devices (native and third party). So it can be integrated that far using what's available. For me that's enough as I rarely need to use a hardware controller just to start and stop transport/record, for me these are minor needs, nice to have but not essential. But I know deeper integration can mean a lot more than that and this would require more advanced scripting which is beyond my skills. In principle it would probably not be too hard to map the 8 white buttons to things like transport, they do have cc numbers. Not ideal but a temp workaround, I'm hoping NI will be adding MCU support at least at some point, they have hinted they plan to.
I hear ya but I just can't see keeping a $600 controller that you have to map out. The sole purpose of getting it was to streamline my workflow with the transport section, audition NI plugs, and also take advantage of the different chord modes.

Hirosky wrote:
PhilG wrote:Take the KK MK 1, I doubt there will be a Bitwig integration soon for the MK 2 :(
I bought the Mk2 already. Luckily I'm still inside the "demo" window. Shame it's got a great keybed..
The keybed of the MK 1 ist the same as MK 2, but do you expect as integration?

Bitwig 2 is recognizing the MK 1 and puts 3 MIDI channels for it.
Keyboard, Komplete Kontrol and DAW.
Unfortunately it is premapped in an unlucky way, so the knobs on the KK MK 1 control the volume of track 1 and so on.
Transport section is working great though.
So you can´t use them for VSTi without changing the default mapping or you map it yourself with the "keyboard with 8 knobs" template.

PhilG wrote:
Hirosky wrote:

Unfortunately it is premapped in an unlucky way, so the knobs on the KK MK 1 control the volume of track 1 and so on.
So you can´t use them for VSTi without changing the default mapping or you map it yourself with the "keyboard with 8 knobs" template.
That's good to know. There's a nice touch and speed to them.

Thanks for the input. Still researching the Panorama. Looks like there's much more support for bitwig with it.

Hirosky wrote:
PhilG wrote:
Hirosky wrote:

That's good to know. There's a nice touch and speed to them.

Thanks for the input. Still researching the Panorama. Looks like there's much more support for bitwig with it.
Hi

I use the P6 w Bitwig. The integration is very good and well thought out. The keybed is a touch 'organ-y' in that it doesn't have the weight of an acoustic piano (which is my primary instrument). The screen is surprisingly clear and readable for it's size and all the knobs/buttons are solid and responsive. I had tried the NI keyboard before purchasing the P6 and thought the NI keybed was very good, but the integration was lacking for my Bitwig/Mainstage needs. Hope this helps.

K

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”