AudioThing Type A - Vintage Enhancer Plugin - Update v1.2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

bitman wrote:
VariKusBrainZ wrote:Seems similar to Sknote DoIA
DolA is an old “secret trick”. A noise reduction system, hacked and abused to get a beautiful high frequency enhancement.
http://www.sknoteaudio.com/wp/index.php ... ur-tracks/
It is. It's like the distressor emulations. They are coming out of the woodwork. There is another that came out a couple of months ago after the sknote offering but I can't remember the name of it. It wasn't this inexpensive and sknote doesn't do demos so..... yeah.
Yes, I think there are just 3 on the market right now, all very different though. I started working on it 2 years ago, and even though I saw the other two releases, I didn't want to rush things.
As far as I can see, Type A is the only one to offer the ability to "mod" the unit as you want (like the famous "trick" technique): enable/disable bands, adjust volume for each band, remove direct signal (!) and a few more things.
AudioThing (VST, AU, AAX, CLAP Plugins)
Instagram | Twitter | Discord Server

For the sake of completeness, mention should be made of U-he Satin, and although I’m not a Protools user, my suspicion is that the Cranesong Phoenix family work along these lines.

But yes, Audiothing Type A is wonderfully tweakable effect and makes for an characterful dynamic equalizer, rapidly becoming a favorite at the track level.

Nice tool. Thanks Audiothing!
Tranzistow Tutorials: http://vze26m98.net/tranzistow/
Xenakis in America: http://oneblockavenue.net

cturner wrote:For the sake of completeness, mention should be made of U-he Satin, and although I’m not a Protools user, my suspicion is that the Cranesong Phoenix family work along these lines.

But yes, Audiothing Type A is wonderfully tweakable effect and makes for an characterful dynamic equalizer, rapidly becoming a favorite at the track level.

Nice tool. Thanks Audiothing!
Thank you!
Yes, I've almost forgot about Satin, but it's a completely different beast of course. Never heard of Cranesong Phoenix, but I'm not a Pro Tools user either.

I finally loaded this up on my daw. Put type-a on a female vocal bus on vocal-trick.

:phones:

I told my wife we have too cool our spending jets until after Christmas this is after I bought VPRE-73 and Misfit Fiddle just because.

So you have to keep it $39.00 for a while for me and others in the same boat this time of year so we can pull the trigger when it's cool.

:tu:

bitman wrote:I finally loaded this up on my daw. Put type-a on a female vocal bus on vocal-trick.

:phones:

I told my wife we have too cool our spending jets until after Christmas this is after I bought VPRE-73 and Misfit Fiddle just because.

So you have to keep it $39.00 for a while for me and others in the same boat this time of year so we can pull the trigger when it's cool.

:tu:
Eheh, I know. The intro price (along with the Xmas Sale) ends on Dec 31.
I hope it's long enough :)

(along with the Xmas Sale) - w,w,w,what's that?

IMHO best plugin of 2017...

audiothing wrote:Yes, I've almost forgot about Satin, but it's a completely different beast of course.
Intrigued about this comparison - on Satin if you hit 'bypass tape', set Encoder to 'A-Type' and Decoder to 'None' would it produce the same audible effect as Type A or by 'completely different beast' does it do additional/different processing as well ? (obviously it has the flexibility of the crossover bands)

Satin has a number of settings: A-type, Cat-22 mod, B-type and two flavors of uhx. You can’t tweak the individual bands as you can with AudioThing, however. I’d guess the “beast” remark refers to all the other things that Satin is, like a tape sat emu, delay and so on.
Tranzistow Tutorials: http://vze26m98.net/tranzistow/
Xenakis in America: http://oneblockavenue.net

Ah gotcha - A-Type is a pure compander (is that the term for it) whereas Satin is an entire tape workflow. Like if you've a splinter in your finger you just need a pair of tweezers rather than an entire operating theatre

bitman wrote:(along with the Xmas Sale) - w,w,w,what's that?
We are currently running a Xmas Sale (20% OFF plugins) until Dec 31.
Turello wrote:IMHO best plugin of 2017...
Wow, thanks! :)

cturner wrote:Satin has a number of settings: A-type, Cat-22 mod, B-type and two flavors of uhx. You can’t tweak the individual bands as you can with AudioThing, however. I’d guess the “beast” remark refers to all the other things that Satin is, like a tape sat emu, delay and so on.
Exactly, even though Satin has different types of NR emulations, doesn't provide much control over them as it's more dedicated to the tape aspect. They are different kind of plugins.
mcbpete wrote:Ah gotcha - A-Type is a pure compander (is that the term for it) whereas Satin is an entire tape workflow. Like if you've a splinter in your finger you just need a pair of tweezers rather than an entire operating theatre
Almost, yes. A compander (compressor/expander) is what was used in those early noise reduction algos. Type A emulates the encode stage only, so just the compressor (and not the expander).

That's Type A flow:

audiothing wrote:Exactly, even though Satin has different types of NR emulations, doesn't provide much control over them as it's more dedicated to the tape aspect. They are different kind of plugins.
I own Satin, but Type A provides faster results in a lot of situation because of the simplicity, for much cheaper. It's just so musical and easy to use, the vocal demo is lovely.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

crystalmsc wrote:I own Satin, but Type A provides faster results in a lot of situation because of the simplicity, for much cheaper. It's just so musical and easy to use, the vocal demo is lovely.
Thank you! Btw, I'll upload more demo asap.

Return to “Effects”