Looking For Recommendations for BFD Expansion Packs

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

JB = Evil Drums....

The only expansion recorded to analog tape...

That was my favourite one for a long time....

But I'm liking the stock BFD2 library recorded at AIR Studios...

Not so many velocities,but nice mics and a great sounding room :wink:
No auto tune...

kevvvvv wrote:Can't find joe barresi in bfd search. am i missing something?
https://www.platinumsamples.com/JoeBarresi.php
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

morelia wrote:Would like to get the 8 bit kit but never found a deal that fit with my perception of just how often I would use it. Really like the sound and idea behind it though.
I love 8-Bit Kit, but I can see it not being for everyone. I did a remix of a Gary Numan track for a competition years ago where I used 8-Bit Kit a lot, especially from 3:10-4:35

https://soundcloud.com/luke-antony/scan ... l-endure-1

Mr Arkadin

re swan percussion
When you say 'how do you use it?' do you mean stylistically, technically or something else?
Bit of both.

How do you place the kits pieces, compared to a standard drum kit?

And broadly what sort of music style do you make with it?

Curious to learn here. I'm not a drummer, but do click away at programming them, and like "live" drum sounds.

And I really like BFD
I love 8-Bit Kit
Wow i'd not listened to this. thought it was some commodore toy sound chip kit. wrong.

I like the way your track uses it. different. fresh.

checked out bfd page

i like the first demo, as it's straightforward drumming with a completely different sound. eye opener.

https://soundcloud.com/fxpansion/bfd-ex ... -8-bit-kit

the other demos are too "jazzy", but i can see sonic uses .
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

Yeah I'm no drummer either. I use a combination of using BFD Grooves and MIDI patterns available to buy or free as a basis. Then I'll usually remove stuff I don't need/like and play in the other stuff from a keyboard.

I rarely draw anything into a sequencer - I'd rather play it for feel. After watching some of the BFD3 tutorials I am however just about to start trying out the paint articulations which look like they add techniques I couldn't really play from a keyboard.

8-Bit Kit and Swan Percussion come with some Grooves, so they were a good jump-off point to writing my own patterns. You can hear the 8-Bit Kit in the Soundcloud link I gave above this post. This started from one of the Grooves and then I got carried away in a Peter Gabriel 4 style.

8-Bit Kit is badly marketed. The kit is not recorded in 8-Bit as the name might imply - the name refers to a producer called 8-Bit. The kit comprises lots of odd percussion recorded through different levels of pre-amps and distortion (which you can dial,in or out with the ambience mics). You can do quite Tom Waits-y type stuff too.

thanks

appreciated
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

digitalboytn

thanks
i'll check out your links
kevvvvv

Sabian Digital Vault

Evil Joe Barresi

Jazz 'n Funk

Naive as it sounds I don't really know how to play cymbals :oops:

I can bang them for a crash emphasis, but after that I'm bluffing.

They all sound a bit the same, which I guess is a terrible thing to say, but it's true.

kevvvvv wrote:Naive as it sounds I don't really know how to play cymbals :oops:

I can bang them for a crash emphasis, but after that I'm bluffing.

They all sound a bit the same, which I guess is a terrible thing to say, but it's true.
To get more out of cymbals, try the Cymbal Swell control. it's found by clicking on a cymbal, hitting the "Model" tab on the right-hand panel and then there's an on/off button under the "Cymbal Swell" section at the bottom of that panel. You can adjust time and there's a drop-down next to it with various presets.

Also try out the "Rudiments" which are available in the Groove Editor. Once in the Groove Editor select the paintbrush, click the "Rudiments" button and a menu of drum rudiments like flams and paradiddles (which are hard to program realistically) pops up. You can then paint the selected rudiment into the Groove Editor window and edit the notes as you wish. I only just found this feature recently, it's a bit hidden.

The cymbal swell modeling pretty much makes all cymbal work more viable. Another thing in BFD3 is to attend to the Loudness Curve, Range and Velocity controls. Under 'Tech'. It can be right awkward bashing away at a piece of kit absent this consideration.

Mr Arkadin, jancivil

thanks for the info

sounds exciting

will have a try over the holidays

cymbal swell, huh 8)

Return to “Instruments”