Cytomic "The Drop" Resonant Filter

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Drop

I want something that will do what the Boss SY300 1/4" pedal does for synthesis to guitar. Oscillators that take guitar and swap it to sine or saw and pitch change the sound and so I can then add my FX change to it. LFO is even a non factor but envelope good. I want Van Halen 1984 keys is a plugin or Genesis sounds without 13 pin or without outboard and in real time.

vd@kvr wrote:
andy-cytomic wrote: Yep, new synth! It's a monster
God Dayumm Andy :love:

Please tease us a bit more! Any chances of granular synthesis? Sample manipulation? Will it have DROP's filter?

Also, i wanted to ask you whether it's possible to perform "Dynamic EQ sidechaining" using the Drop ?

I saw a plugin named TRACKSPACER 2.0 "which analyses the spectrum of the incoming sidechain signal and applies a reversed EQ curve to another track". Here's a video if you want to have a look :

I don't want to waste any money buying other plugin, if the same can be done using the Drop. So thought of asking you directly.

Thank you :)
The Drop is not a dynamic EQ plugin, but you can so some sort of dynamic EQing with it. It will not do anything tricky based on spectrum of the sidechain signal, but it will follow its amplitude. Start by adjusting your mix to 50%. If you want your EQ to reduce based on sidechain volume then modulate the pre downwards with an envelope with it's source using the In SC. If you want your EQ to increase then lower the pre and modulate it upwards with envelope.

The filter display is relative to the DC gain of the filters including the pre and post levels. So if you lower the pre downwards to zero with 100% mix the filter display will not change downwards at all. This is the most useful way to work for a filter plugin, but not so useful for a dynamic EQ plugin!
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

acousticglue wrote:I want something that will do what the Boss SY300 1/4" pedal does for synthesis to guitar. Oscillators that take guitar and swap it to sine or saw and pitch change the sound and so I can then add my FX change to it. LFO is even a non factor but envelope good. I want Van Halen 1984 keys is a plugin or Genesis sounds without 13 pin or without outboard and in real time.
I won't be doing a guitar synth or having any audio to pitch CV converter in the new synth, but this is an area that I think is a lot of fun and I am interested in doing some R&D in this area.

Andy Please tease us a bit more about your upcoming synth!

Any chances of granular synthesis? Sample manipulation? Will it have DROP's filter?

When can we expect a beta version ?

vd@kvr wrote:Andy Please tease us a bit more about your upcoming synth!

Any chances of granular synthesis? Sample manipulation? Will it have DROP's filter?

When can we expect a beta version ?
It will be VA and not only have The Drop's filters but extend them considerably in various ways (I'll post audio demos once I'm getting closer to release). Looking like around early to mid 2018 at this stage.

The Drop Beta v1.5.10 (12 Dec 2017) is released.
  • Fixed: Env1 and Env2 triggering issue from MIDI as the source of only one of the envelopes
  • Fixed: (Win only) built against v140_xp SDK on for Windows 7 support
https://cytomic.com/files/TheDropBeta_v1.5.10_Mac.dmg
https://cytomic.com/files/TheDropBeta_v ... c_10.6.dmg
https://cytomic.com/files/TheDropBeta_v1.5.10_Win.zip

On the Win side I've since I've built against a different SDK I'm keen to hear how it's going on various machines, especially for people on Windows 7, so please post back with any reports :)

dangayle wrote: Fantastic. If you have audio rate modulation, you're getting into Bazille territory, which is one of my favorite territories :) What kind of oscillators are you planning?
Analog modelled oscillators with simultaneous oscillator outputs and audio rate modulation of frequency and shape. It will be pretty standard in structure: osc, lfo, env, amp, drive, etc, but each section will have some very cool and unique twists. I want this to be a one stop shop that is quick and easy to do regular subtractive sounds, but also powerful enough to tackle crazy modular workflows.

andy-cytomic wrote: Analog modelled oscillators with simultaneous oscillator outputs and audio rate modulation of frequency and shape. It will be pretty standard in structure: osc, lfo, env, amp, drive, etc, but each section will have some very cool and unique twists.
Cool! A synth with The Drop's filters can't miss. :wheee:

Yes! A Cytomic synth in 2018 would be perfect!
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

what is an "analog modelled" oscillator?
Last edited by Architeuthis on Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

a basic, CPU efficient, great sounding lo/hi pass filter plugin with NO LATENCY would be nice.

think the filter equivalent of what Breeze 2 is to reverbs...

sqigls wrote:a basic, CPU efficient, great sounding lo/hi pass filter plugin with NO LATENCY would be nice.

If you turn off oversampling and stick to MD modes, the Drop is just that IMO.

meloco_go wrote:
sqigls wrote:a basic, CPU efficient, great sounding lo/hi pass filter plugin with NO LATENCY would be nice.

If you turn off oversampling and stick to MD modes, the Drop is just that IMO.

yeah.. it's trivial to set it up and use it that way.

not to mention there's still latency after disabling everything on the list.
then it sounds [ok]... but might as well just use Simplon.

andy-cytomic wrote:
dangayle wrote: Fantastic. If you have audio rate modulation, you're getting into Bazille territory, which is one of my favorite territories :) What kind of oscillators are you planning?
Analog modelled oscillators with simultaneous oscillator outputs and audio rate modulation of frequency and shape. It will be pretty standard in structure: osc, lfo, env, amp, drive, etc, but each section will have some very cool and unique twists. I want this to be a one stop shop that is quick and easy to do regular subtractive sounds, but also powerful enough to tackle crazy modular workflows.
I may have said this before, but I hope you implement MPE compatibility! Since you are in the development stage, it would be good to be thinking about that!

Return to “Effects”