Looking for vst that can create rhythm patterns for chords

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I know about arpeggiators that can take the notes of a chord and arpeggiate them in various ways, but is there a good vst that can take a chord and then create different rhythmic comping patterns for that chord?

May be you mean rythmic gate?

http://www.alexhilton.net/A1AUDIO/index ... riggergate

It's not MIDI effect, it mangles audio.

EDIT: Good arpeggiator can also play some notes simultaneously.

Didn't really think of it that way, but I'll definitely give it a look...

Many thanks for the link!

After reconsidering the previous suggestion...

Maybe what I'm looking for is a good vst that is able to create different rhythmic chord comping patterns (MIDI not audio) through its rhythm gate?

Try something like this:
http://rfmusic.net/en/vst_view.php?id=35
or (free)
http://www.codefn42.com/chordit/index.html
Such plugins cannot create "different rhythmic chord comping patterns" automatically, but you can create them yourself in the piano roll. You add notes, you define their length and velocity. I think it's not what you're searching for but that way you'll get a bit more simple workflow.

I don't know if rythmic MIDI gate is possible. It seems to me that not. Midi gate is 'note off' message. After 'note off' message there aren't notes to play. Only new notes are being played.

A lot of synths (like Sylenth) have a chord mode in the arp. You program in a rhythm pattern (usually as a series of velocity values) and hold down a chord and the chord is played to that rhythm. So check among the synths/romplers you already own to see if they include this feature.

Otherwise many arp vsts also have a chord function which does the same thing. Check out Nora, Kirnu Cream, Kameleono, and 7Aliens Catanya...although I think 7Aliens is now defunct(?)

Good luck

MIDI gates were achieved by drawing in (MIDI) volume automation in the 90s. Fun! Not.

@terriandralph
Why do you need it? To play live? Or to compose automatically?

xalama qo wrote:Otherwise many arp vsts also have a chord function which does the same thing. Check out Nora, Kirnu Cream, Kameleono
+1

Why do you need it? To play live? Or to compose automatically?
I like to compose microtonal music, and recently I found Cthulhu, which the chordal feature will allow me to quickly try out different microtonal chord progressions (I am not a keyboard player, and I don't have the time to learn to play). Once I have the chordal patterns I want, I would like to speed up the composition process by applying different rhythms to chords I am holding out for a measure or so. Unless I have overlooked it, of the arpeggiated patterns I have seen so far in Cthulhu, it breaks up the chord into a monophonic stream of notes.

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maybe look into Obscurium by Sugar Bytes. It can host VSTis and generated a lot of crazy chord action and motion.

You can use Cthulhu for that. Simply enable the Chord option in the arpeggiator.
I didn't check the chord option of Cthulhu before, but after trying things out a bit, it seems to follow the up and down path of the arpeggiation in multiple notes rather than staying on the same chord and simply creating different rhythm patterns for that chord.

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Why not use 'world' percussion midi clips as input to Cthulhu or Obelisk or? (I use the Multirhythms app as midi-in)
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

Return to “Instruments”