Wavestation Shootout: Hardware vs. VST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Not so related but :

do you guys have any issue with the Wavestation v1.7.2 ?

I'm on OSX High Sierra 10.13.2, using Ableton Live 9.7.5 and both AU/VST make the DAW crash randomly and it occurs pretty often actually. It can be when I load the plugin or when I change a preset, switch waveforms etc... Extremely annoying.

sinemotor wrote:Not so related but :

I'm on OSX High Sierra 10.13.2, using Ableton Live 9.7.5 and both AU/VST make the DAW crash randomly and it occurs pretty often actually. It can be when I load the plugin or when I change a preset, switch waveforms etc... Extremely annoying.
Noone in his perfect mind will update the OS. Sierra works perfectly for everything currently available. What do you gain with High Sierra except these "annoyances"?
Fernando (FMR)

sinemotor wrote:do you guys have any issue with the Wavestation v1.7.2 ?
Yes. I'm on Mac OSX Sierra 10.12.6 and my DAW Logic Pro X.3.3 crashes every time I load the Wavestation AU plugin v1.7.2.

fmr wrote:
sinemotor wrote:Not so related but :

Noone in his perfect mind will update the OS. Sierra works perfectly for everything currently available. What do you gain with High Sierra except these "annoyances"?
Guess it doesn't work so perfectly for the guy who posted right below your claims of how perfectly Sierra works for everything currently available. Too funny.

Maybe it's the latest version, then :shrug: Worth trying the previouys one. I am running 1.7.0 in Windows, and I have no problems, no matter the host.

What I don't understand is how is Wavestation crashing Logic immediately upon instantiating it, and yet it passed validation :-?

Anyway, I don't take back what I wrote about High Sierra. As a rule of thumb, you should keep your OS version one number behind.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:Maybe it's the latest version, then :shrug: Worth trying the previouys one. I am running 1.7.0 in Windows, and I have no problems, no matter the host.
Some people have long had crashing problems with the WS on Macs, going back several versions. It's not an OS problem, it's a WS one. It's always been solid for me, but not so much for others, but it's definitely a real re-occuring thing I've seen a lot.
fmr wrote:What I don't understand is how is Wavestation crashing Logic immediately upon instantiating it, and yet it passed validation :-?
Completely different code paths.
fmr wrote:As a rule of thumb, you should keep your OS version one number behind.
Well, rather than blindly choosing arbitrary rules in some quest for safety, you should really be informed as to what's going on with the OS and what other's experiences are and make decisions based on that. Based on what I see and have read with others' experiences with HS, I would avoid it for now, there are some real issues with it, and especially if you are using old software there's no guarantee the new FS is going to agree with them completely.

beely wrote:Yep. :(
It looks like you got to prove the point that side by side the Wavestation hardware and software have notable differences but I'll post something up once I am able to.

I have a 31.5" monitor (yes that is correct) at 1080p - this was a conscious decision so that I can continue to use the majority of my ever dating collection of VSTs without eye strain or using some sort of magnification. Needless to say I have no trouble looking at the WS plugin at all - but indeed I've watched many a thread devolve in to pixel density, UI too small etc.

I as much as anyone else would like older software to continue to be maintained and 'upgraded' to in some cases remain 'usable' - this is perhaps a gamble you take by purchasing software and is one major selling point of why you could consider hardware instead... My WS hardware hasn't shrunk in size because pixel density standards changed - but indeed I run the risk that if any proprietary components were to die then I very likely have an expensive paperweight on my hands - anyway I'm sure we all know this, it's been argued to death.

I wish we could talk more about the sounds and maybe the achievements people have managed to 'pull off' with a synth that could easily be written off as a 'dated evolving pad machine' - I am convinced there's still a lot to be squeezed out of the base ROM with some lateral thinking and outside the box trickery!

fallacy wrote:
It looks like you got to prove the point that side by side the Wavestation hardware and software have notable differences but I'll post something up once I am able to.

I have a 31.5" monitor (yes that is correct) at 1080p - this was a conscious decision so that I can continue to use the majority of my ever dating collection of VSTs without eye strain or using some sort of magnification. Needless to say I have no trouble looking at the WS plugin at all - but indeed I've watched many a thread devolve in to pixel density, UI too small etc.

I as much as anyone else would like older software to continue to be maintained and 'upgraded' to in some cases remain 'usable' - this is perhaps a gamble you take by purchasing software and is one major selling point of why you could consider hardware instead... My WS hardware hasn't shrunk in size because pixel density standards changed - but indeed I run the risk that if any proprietary components were to die then I very likely have an expensive paperweight on my hands - anyway I'm sure we all know this, it's been argued to death.

I wish we could talk more about the sounds and maybe the achievements people have managed to 'pull off' with a synth that could easily be written off as a 'dated evolving pad machine' - I am convinced there's still a lot to be squeezed out of the base ROM with some lateral thinking and outside the box trickery!
You realize what you just said? You have a HUGE monitor and yet you're running it at a resolution that's smaller than mine (1280).

Why is that?

I'll tell you why. You said it yourself. If you used some crazy resolution like 1920 or 2440 or whatever the hell it is, that Wavestation, as you put it, would give you eye strain.

So yeah, a larger monitor might in fact help me but ONLY if I still use the same resolution that I'm using now.

The problem is, what is THAT resolution going to do to the plugins that just about fit on my screen now? Will they stay the same size or will they become too big?

Can somebody answer that?

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

fallacy wrote:

Yeah, you’re right, but it’s not like the Legacy Wavestation software ever had a great UI. Even when I was running it on an old Toshiba laptop I wondered why they got it so wrong. Hell, they even got the MS20 wrong. Let’s just say, plugin UI design is not Korg’s strong suit. It’s a shame, as I think the reason it’s not spoke of more is because of that clumsy UI. It’s not too bad once you get used to it, but it could be so much better, and I’m not just talking about a resize. They really need to have a professional UI/UX designer take it down to the foundation and do a new one from scratch. It’s not that complicated a synth, but if you’re going to let the engineers do the UX work and have a graphic designer put a skin on it, it’s going to suck.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

wagtunes wrote:
fallacy wrote:

You realize what you just said? You have a HUGE monitor and yet you're running it at a resolution that's smaller than mine (1280).

Why is that?

I'll tell you why. You said it yourself. If you used some crazy resolution like 1920 or 2440 or whatever the hell it is, that Wavestation, as you put it, would give you eye strain.

So yeah, a larger monitor might in fact help me but ONLY if I still use the same resolution that I'm using now.

The problem is, what is THAT resolution going to do to the plugins that just about fit on my screen now? Will they stay the same size or will they become too big?

Can somebody answer that?
Wag, honey, every thread isn’t all about you dear. So for the love of pound cake would you put a f**king cork in it?

wagtunes wrote:
fallacy wrote: I have a 31.5" monitor (yes that is correct) at 1080p -
1080p means 1920x1080, in other words the pretty standard FullHD resolution. So it is a bigger resolution (more pixels) than 1280x1024.

OK, I just did some figuring with this:

https://screendimensions.com/

And a 17" 1280x720 screen would be the same effective size pixel size and density of a 24" 1920x1080 screen, you would have the same sized interface elements, but you would have a lot more screen real estate. Wags, play with this tool and maybe you'll understand how different size screens with their native resolutions relate to eachother.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

I have to take back some of the comments I made earlier about the KLC... I realized that the Korg Legacy Collection is actually now called just Korg Collection, and they have a new webpage, and it looks much better and current (just why didn’t they take the old one down / redirect it?). So I went ahead and bought the M1 & Wavestation plugins anyway, at about 20 e / pcs it was hard to resist. :D

Both plugins seem to work perfectly (OS X High Sierra, Logic), no crashes or other problems. The small and clumsy UI remains a problem of course, but it’s easy to zoom in with OS X’s built-in magnifier. Has anyone found a way to easily go to next/previous preset in Wavestation? In the M1 plugin, I can just use the cursor keys, as long as the preset list has focus. In Wavestation, I have to click the preset name or drag up/down with mouse, but didn’t find any way to just easily move to the next preset.

But those sounds! Of course some of them are pretty horrible and aged and bad-kind-of-digital and whatnot, and the reverb is a contender for the worst reverb ever... but many presets are very playable and dynamic, and have a nice wide stereo image and ambience. Some bell/pad/fantasy-type sounds could easily be featured in newer synths/plugins, they sound just fine even by today’s standards (or at least mine :phones: ) I played and used the real synths years ago until moving 100% to ITB, so many of the sounds are familiar to me, but it’s nice to come back to them after a long break. Now I really want to do some 90’s inspired music! :D

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

Return to “Instruments”