How to use 32 GB RAM Ableton?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How can I use 32 GB RAM?

Ableton Live 8 Suite 64-bit
Ableton Live 8 Suite 64 Bit, Sylenth1 64 Bit,Rapture, Zeta+2,Synthmaster, Dimenison Pro, Mo' Phatt. and Waves plugs.
DELL i-3770 3.9ghz, 12GB RAM, INTEL SSD,
M-Audio Bx8 D2
Oxygen 49
TC ELECTRONIC impact twin 64 Bit
Fast Track Plus
Grace and love

The 64 bit version of Live 8 can allocate 32 GB by default if your project needs it, there's no need to do any configuring for it, assuming that the computer has that much RAM available :) and is running a 64 bit OS that supports that amount. Note that if the system has 32 GB total it will (naturally) be using it for the OS and other stuff as well, so if you literally need 32 GB for Live, your system will need to have more in total.

MadAnthony81 wrote:How can I use 32 GB RAM?

Ableton Live 8 Suite 64-bit
Load a project full with audio clips to fill it up.

One second stereo audio @48kHz/16bit takes 192.000 bytes.
One gigabyte is enough to hold 5592 seconds, which is about 93 minutes.
So 32 GB is enough for about 2982 minutes, which is about 49.7 hours.
Listen to that for 12 hours a day (you need to eat and sleep) and it will keep you occupied for at least four days.

Conclusion: 32GB RAM is 5461x overkill if you cannot get passed the 30 sec. 16-bar loop stage of composition.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Try plugging in 20Gb.
Ableton Live 8 Suite 64 Bit, Sylenth1 64 Bit,Rapture, Zeta+2,Synthmaster, Dimenison Pro, Mo' Phatt. and Waves plugs.
M-Audio Bx8 D2
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:
Try plugging in 20Gb.
M-Audio Bx8 D2
:D :lol: Good spot !

Guenon wrote:assuming that the computer has that much RAM available :)
;)
BertKoor wrote:Load a project full with audio clips to fill it up.
The audio files would need to be specifically buffered fully into RAM in Live to occupy their actual size in RAM, otherwise Live is of course more efficient with the use, even if you drop hundreds of gigabytes worth of audio into it :)

Also, naturally you can make a mere 30 second loop of music in a project that has gigabytes upon gigabytes of instruments loaded (think Kontakt, Omnisphere, etc.) For example, when producing stingers for media, a finished bit of audio can be noticeably shorter than 30 seconds, but the RAM footprint of the used libraries can be quite hefty.

thanks , I remember that trick.... load up a bunch of songs.

thanks, one day I hope to buy Ensemble Pro, I hear it has a gambit of helpers.

so, thanks again, I hope I can get something, I'm off to make another post about something like this now!
But not really, it's different, I'm trying to get my stuff together.

Load up a bunch of songs...
M-Audio Bx8 D2
Oxygen 49
TC ELECTRONIC impact twin 64 Bit
Fast Track Plus
Grace and love

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”