Best Service Galaxy X "convolution Synth" for 95 bux worth it ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Galaxy X

http://vstbuzz.com/deals/65-off-galaxy-x-best-service/

has anyone got this ?

cannot find a decent video with sound examples...even best service's videos are just some dude talking about it instead of playing actual presets
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

not the same

i'm asking for users

that thread is about selling and buying and deals

checked out the demo song(soundcloud)

the sounds is very shrill...rather unpleasant though might be because of poor Mixing..i dunno

Nothing convincing in all those

Just got the VSTBuzz email promoting this.

After browsing through a bunch of vids on youtube.. decided against it.

They market it like it's some sort of revolutionary sample splicing/manipulation tool:

"In the audio world, Convolution is the process of multiplying two signals together or folding one audio file over the other one. The result is a hybrid of the two original sounds, introducing a whole new world of sound creations."

In other words.. a mixer. :?

I guess because stacking sounds and adding some basic effects is so complicated.. they had to make this (even more complicated) VST to do it for you.

I was hoping for something more like an FM styled, sample A modifies sample B, and creates a totally new, different and variable waveform/sample C.. kind of thing.

Nope.. it's a freaking sample mixer. If someone owns this and can verify it is actually more complicated, feel free to correct me.. but all indications are that this is the actual reality of it.

Also.. if you google around, the FREE Best Service ENGINE 2 seems to be an issue with a lot of folks. From the installation confusion to the authorization and easy to max out installation limits.

So, yeah.. had to pass. :P

So its not convolving one sound with another just layering?
Amazon: why not use an alternative

I have just demoed it..I have to agree with progtronic...it's not really cross synthesis or morphing, it feels like simply mixing layers.

But I did demo Titan at the same time...nice

FYI, the demo is included in the Engine demo, for those like me who didn't get that at first:)
Last edited by David on Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Also.. if you're like me, and already own Komplete.. Absynth is basically Galaxy X on steroids.

So you're covered (minus the Galaxy X's raw samples). :party:

depends what you're looking for....it's basically a sample collection of sounds run through a collection of exotic impulse responses. You can do this yourself with an IR reverb and exotic impulses. Anybody that delves into exotic IRs can tell you, it is very difficult to predict what sounds and what impulses will give you something musical, resulting in a ton of trial and error. I believe what they are selling is that they have done some of the trial and error for you....the presets are combinations that they know have value, especially with origami parameters mapped to the mod wheel. They should have made a vst version and allowed the tool to use your own "xfiles" collection though....unnecessary restriction.....but I think they wanted to stop people from starting with their personal content and then hastily coming to the conclusion that this thing is crap, due to the trial and error aspect.
There are manuals online

I wouldn't compare to absynth though....absynth does granular and wave-morphing with samples, not convolving as far as I know....in my experience, resynthesis of samples, whether additive, granular, or spectral,....don't sound like convolving at all
Music had a one night stand with sound design.....And the condom broke

bermudagold wrote: I wouldn't compare to absynth though....absynth does granular and wave-morphing with samples, not convolving as far as I know....in my experience, resynthesis of samples, whether additive, granular, or spectral,....don't sound like convolving at all
I guess my point was.. you can layer a few samples together, and run them through some effects.. and achieve a similar result (with a lot more options in between).

ie: source; sample layers > fx; pipe, multicomb, multitap, echoes, resonators

DETAILS

no doubt....absynth almost seems underrated in terms of power and possibilities...especially considering its age

I find resynthesis methods and/or particular implementations all have or leave a particular sonic fingerprint....depends what timbre flavors you like the taste of....If you like the sound of convolving, absynth may not get you there.
Music had a one night stand with sound design.....And the condom broke

The only other convolution synth I have seen (not tested) so far is BT Phobos.
That looks much more interesting to me, but is 3 times more expensive. Best Service is known for sample packs. They want to sell more of that for sure.
No word about the size of those xfiles. Classic convolution asks for exponatialy more resources with impulse response length. And if you can't load your own responses, its not that interesting unless you are a preset junkie anyway.
But the size of the library might be worth the prize alone...
I did like the demo sounds...

A few notes:

- Convolution is not mixing. Convolution sees one source as a enormous multi-tap delay, with one tap per sample, and applies that to the other source. It's how convolution reverb works: you record a very sharp attack sound in a hall, and copy the resulting reverb to each sample in the input.

- Convolution is not exponential when you use FFT, so there's no need to worry about the size of the impulse responses.

Return to “Instruments”