112db Mikron Cascade

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Mikron Cascade

So it works in FL Studio now?

VariKusBrainZ wrote:
CrystalWizard wrote:
plexuss wrote:I used Mikron Cascade in this track. You will hear what sounds like a bunch of frog chirping, through out the track. I used Cascade to create this... like a lake full of
Sounds great.

Can someone say how this compares with the Aetherizer in Absynth?
They dont sound similar at all, though could be placed in the same effect category
Thanks
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Sorry
double post
Last edited by Kalamata Kid on Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CrystalWizard wrote:Yes, i have Absynth. No, i don't have Mikron Cascade. Yes, i could download the demo. Yes, in an hour or two i would have a good general idea. But- i don't like installing demos because a. They can be a pita to wipe off my machine and b. They often increase my GAS disproportionately to their usefulness. The reason i asked here on a forum is that perhaps somebody owns both and can give me an assessment based on their use, therefor saving me the (quick) download, the installation, the GAS, and the ( admittedly fun) few hours of exploring Mikron Cascade.

Hmm, now that i put it that way maybe i should download the demo. :o
No offense to anyone but I often forgo the demo and ask for opinions and advice. Most often I get good useful feedback saving myself and other readers a lot of time. We have some very sharp people that offer their help and this is why I visit here daily.

Edit: I ended buying the MC due to the discussion here and the price. Glad I did. :D

Kalamata Kid wrote:
CrystalWizard wrote:Yes, i have Absynth. No, i don't have Mikron Cascade. Yes, i could download the demo. Yes, in an hour or two i would have a good general idea. But- i don't like installing demos because a. They can be a pita to wipe off my machine and b. They often increase my GAS...

Hmm, now that i put it that way maybe i should download the demo. :o
No offense to anyone but I often forgo the demo and ask for opinions and advice. Most often I get good useful feedback saving myself and other readers a lot of time. We have some very sharp people that offer their help and this is why I visit here daily.

Edit: I ended buying the MC due to the discussion here and the price. Glad I did. :D
Yes, that's it exactly. That is one reason for KVR forums.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Bought and can confirm it works perfectly in FL Studio now.

This is such a brilliantly creative effect. Even my kids were interested in twiddling stuff to make soundscapes. I hope someone does this in a guitar pedal.

Great price too!

I'm demoing this now. I like it, but I can't quite bring myself to purchase it. While it can make some nice glitchy sounds, it can be hit and miss for me. I guess, at $29 though, it's not worth being so hesitant about buying it.

Russell Grand wrote:I'm demoing this now. I like it, but I can't quite bring myself to purchase it. While it can make some nice glitchy sounds, it can be hit and miss for me. I guess, at $29 though, it's not worth being so hesitant about buying it.
I passed, it's not that impressive. It's just cascaded delays with some specific delay times, feedback, and simplistic modulation. If you download the synth demo you can see how they've chosen some of the delay settings. I haven't taken the time to see if there are papers discussing the idea from the folks listed in the manual, however, off the cuff, the concept doesn't seem all that interesting, precise, or difficult to replicate to me.

Maybe I didn't try hard enough but I couldn't replicate it. Bought it and like it a lot.

lnikj wrote:Maybe I didn't try hard enough but I couldn't replicate it. Bought it and like it a lot.
I tried pretty hard to replicate it and couldn't, not with the pizzaz that it has. I bought it too. It's pretty sweet. The very dense modes are nice but also are the less dense where you can get a soundfield of discrete instances of the source if you use a short-release sound.

plexuss wrote:
lnikj wrote:Maybe I didn't try hard enough but I couldn't replicate it. Bought it and like it a lot.
I tried pretty hard to replicate it and couldn't, not with the pizzaz that it has. I bought it too. It's pretty sweet. The very dense modes are nice but also are the less dense where you can get a soundfield of discrete instances of the source if you use a short-release sound.
I tried to get something interesting out of that, but to me, it just sounded like a badly timed multi-tap delay.

To be fair, I haven't replicated its sound yet and I don't think that there's anything in my collection that will do it exactly. I like the concept though, I just think that I will find the concept more useful in a Reaktor ensemble than I do in the 112dB plugin. I thought the same about Ultratap and I was able to replicate the majority of that plugin. I didn't nail the smear feature, but I was able to create something very interesting in Reaktor and was also able to remove some of Ultratap's limitations, e.g., no feedback, as well as add even more taps. Of course, I have Ultratap now because, well, $1 upgrade. For me, unless a delay has some interesting saturation modeling or something, it's usually something that can be whipped up in Reaktor.

As far as Mikron Cascade goes, unless I'm missing something, it's just a series of parallel delays such that at each stage what you are getting is the sum of the delay times through each successive delay across all parallel delays and that the essence of the plugin is just choosing the delay times of the individual stages such that when fed back, the cumulative times don't coincide very much. The density control just selects which of the 32 delays are active and the time control scales the fixed delay times. Obviously feedback controls how much of the output feeds back into the delay.

If anyone thinks that I'm missing something important then I'm all ears.

ghettosynth wrote:
I tried to get something interesting out of that, but to me, it just sounded like a badly timed multi-tap delay.

To be fair, I haven't replicated its sound yet and I don't think that there's anything in my collection that will do it exactly. I like the concept though, I just think that I will find the concept more useful in a Reaktor ensemble than I do in the 112dB plugin.....For me, unless a delay has some interesting saturation modeling or something, it's usually something that can be whipped up in Reaktor.

As far as Mikron Cascade goes, unless I'm missing something, it's just a series of parallel delays such that at each stage what you are getting is the sum of the delay times through each successive delay across all parallel delays and that the essence of the plugin is just choosing the delay times of the individual stages such that when fed back, the cumulative times don't coincide very much. The density control just selects which of the 32 delays are active and the time control scales the fixed delay times. Obviously feedback controls how much of the output feeds back into the delay.

If that is the case then i could use Reaktor or a few instances of PSP 608 in parallel. Experiment for the day.

ghettosynth wrote: If anyone thinks that I'm missing something important then I'm all ears.
Obviously it didn’t click for you and that’s ok. I don’t think you are missing something that important as you say, it’s not just for you. That happens no plugin is magic after all.

Personally I think it does a really great job on most sounds for pure atmospheric and ambient oriented stuff. I would not use it for anything else, definitely not its purpose. Yes it’s ‘just’ a delay network, no voodoo here and 112dB even says it on the description, but still it has a few secret spices in it that makes it really fun and special to use I think (the stereo field, the delay models to chose from, the tone). And when combining subtle long and lush reverb right after it just to smooth it out a bit, it’s honey for the ears.

But if you own Reaktor and you are skilled enough to replicate it, good for you! You won’t need it in that case.

CrystalWizard wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:

To be fair, I haven't replicated its sound yet and I don't think that there's anything in my collection that will do it exactly. I like the concept though, I just think that I will find the concept more useful in a Reaktor ensemble than I do in the 112dB plugin.....For me, unless a delay has some interesting saturation modeling or something, it's usually something that can be whipped up in Reaktor.

If that is the case then i could use Reaktor or a few instances of PSP 608 in parallel. Experiment for the day.
I don't know, that's just what I get from reading the manuals and playing with it. I think that the U/I on the synth is more useful in trying to figure out what's going on. The two manuals contradict each other a bit as well. The effect manual states that each successive stage is summed as well as further delayed but the synth manual implies that no such summing occurs.

MogwaiBoy wrote:Bought and can confirm it works perfectly in FL Studio now.

This is such a brilliantly creative effect. Even my kids were interested in twiddling stuff to make soundscapes. I hope someone does this in a guitar pedal.

Great price too!
Have you seen the Mooer Ocean Machine yet? Doesn't exactly do granular but can easily create the same kind of frozen held loops that Milkron Cascade can

https://youtu.be/d0B94NHUghU

Return to “Effects”