StiX : MultiSynthesis Drum Machine (v1.6 Released + Flash sales)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
StiX

toonertik wrote:
braj wrote:
The CM version does not allow MIDI recording... open the VSTi_Options_"Why upgrade"and read the limitations compared to full version. It is up in the right hand top or press "easy" synth engine option.
Oh and maybe RTFM... OR RE_RTFM... :o
Yeah, but that was the workaround offered. And though they may feel starting on the next measure is preferable, I really don't think it is mandatory, what little delay may be there is negligible, as BFD and others make due without issue in that regard. I don't know that Lotuzia actually understands the tech bits though, or he is just going with what he was told. I remember when he would proselytize for XILS here and say that he had no connection to them, when that was obviously not the case, so you can say I don't have a huge well of trust regarding him.
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

Yes, the CM version doesnt output Midi. The full verson does. That's probably what I should have told you.

This said, you don't know nothing about me. Fyi, I created StiX, from scratch, functions, logic, UI, features etc. And I have a very good understanding of what you call 'the tech bits', code and physics included. I also created it because no drum machine totally offered me what I was looking for.

If you think delays are acceptable in drum machines, that's OK. I think the opposite. StiX has sample accurate timing. (btw Bfd uses simple midi files to *just* trigger samples) So, as I'm not sure that, once again, we speak of similar, or comparable, things, I'll just leave it like that. StiX sequencer engine, is much more than a midifile, at the very least different per nature, per action(s), per possibilities. If you can't see that, no problemo, it might not be for you.

Btw some people required that selecting a new pattern take effects immediatly, i.e at whatever time during the playing pattern, and not on the next pattern. My answer(s) debated this question, maybe making a confusion between the various demands. Another subject of misunderstanding. Your concern is that you can send the command at the beginning of the pattern you want to change. Adding a delay. But I answered to that as well now.

And yes, reading the manual can also help answering questions, sometimes. :shrug:
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Really like what I.could do with Stix but the sound its not so good can this area be improved?

lacandon wrote:Really like what I.could do with Stix but the sound its not so good can this area be improved?
Maybe. I have some ideas about the oscillator section, including a new type odf osc.

What kind of sounds are you after ? ( or some other machines references ?)

Also : Dont forget to add at least a compressor behind StiX if you want it to sound more punchy. some drum machines sound more punchy because they have one on board. This is one of the things we could implement in StiX. There are at least two options if this is done : Compressor on stereo main output, or per mixer channel compressor. One compressor for all sounds is easier to tweak, 10 compressors need more time, and also more ressources. Otoh, people who work with StiX separate outputs in their Daw often have several single channel compressors, if only those who come free with their daw. That's why I ask. Trying several different external reverbs might help also to pick a specific color. Here again, users usually have several units fitting their taste, if StiX reverb is not enough.

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

I don t want more FX for stix...i prefer to use my favorite compressor on each piece of the kit.the same for reverb...
I d rely like you to add some stuff like osc...i am curious to know how many people really use the fx who came with their drum machine...

Lotuzia wrote:
lacandon wrote:Really like what I.could do with Stix but the sound its not so good can this area be improved?
Maybe. I have some ideas about the oscillator section, including a new type odf osc.

Also : Dont forget to add at least a compressor behind StiX if you want it to sound more punchy. some drum machines sound more punchy because they have one on board. This is one of the things we could implement in StiX. There are at least two options if this is done : Compressor on stereo main output, or per mixer channel compressor. One compressor for all sounds is easier to tweak, 10 compressors need more time, and also more ressources. Otoh, people who work with StiX separate outputs in their Daw often have several single channel compressors, if only those who come free with their daw. That's why I ask. Trying several different external reverbs might help also to pick a specific color. Here again, users usually have several units fitting their taste, if StiX reverb is not enough.

I like Dave Smith Tempest and Analog Rythm the best.drum.machines ever released a fabric for sounds.Stix has a lot of stuff they don't have but the sound is a bit clean sterile no balls.For.example the Sonic Academy plugin have nice punch I actually like it more then analog kick.One of the reasons I.dont.use.microtonic the sound its.anemic.I am tired polishing plugins.with plugins...maybe good drive saturation could be modelled.it have potential to be e really solid.drum synth machine.

I haven't read through all 69 pages on here, but can StiX be configured with separate outs for each part of the kit?

I would like to see the preset listing redone, the subcategories are cool, I’m talking about the scrolling list being redone.
Also sample import does not work reliably and the way they are stored once imported needs to be rethought (in my opinion of course).
It would be nice to just be able to point to a directory where you keep your samples and have them available from there.

Stix is indeed a great tool for rhythmic sound design. I create loops and bounce them to manipulate the audio tracks but I’m more at home working with audio rather than midi.
This gives me the ability to use REAPER’s regions as well. But that’s just me.

Please give us the ability to rename the pads, I sometimes want more than one kick and may not be using perc for example. I have to wright down where I am putting sounds when my scheme doesn’t fit the default one. Make Sense?
Examigan wrote:I haven't read through all 69 pages on here, but can StiX be configured with separate outs for each part of the kit?
Yes
Last edited by Dillinger on Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

And another thing

It may mean more immediate results with a compressor on board but I agree with hivkorn, I prefer to send to my own favorite effects.

Jam on Lotuzia, make this drum machine what you know it can be.

Dillinger wrote:And another thing

It may mean more immediate results with a compressor on board but I agree with hivkorn, I prefer to send to my own favorite effects.

Jam on Lotuzia, make this drum machine what you know it can be.
+1 :tu:

hivkorn wrote:I don t want more FX for stix...i prefer to use my favorite compressor on each piece of the kit.the same for reverb...
I d rely like you to add some stuff like osc...i am curious to know how many people really use the fx who came with their drum machine...
Noted. I'm curious too about that.

Well, a lot of drum machines have compressors, at least on the stereo bus.(Like hw Tempest -an analog one btw-, Elektron Analog Rythm, or the emulated Dynamite compressor on the SoftTube DM main output, or channel and bus comps on Tremor to name a few)

I think it can help to :

1/ Have 'a global idea of the patch' for users
2/ Mix it with less efforts with other instruments before -possibly and eventually- using the separate output version, to process each drum sound individually
3/ Make it easier for sound design to create beats, drum sounds, kits, etc. Because you might create a somewhat different preset/groove if you have a compressor, or not, gluing the beat mix.

So, the idea is : if you don't use it in the end,it can be nice to preview presets, or help with produtcion until you make more refined per channel processing.

This said, due to your comments, and similar ones, if there's a compressor, it will probably end in the master bus, and not one per channel, unless a lot of people prefer that way. Thanks for the input.

lacandon wrote:
Lotuzia wrote:

I like Dave Smith Tempest and Analog Rythm the best.drum.machines ever released a fabric for sounds.Stix has a lot of stuff they don't have but the sound is a bit clean sterile no balls.For.example the Sonic Academy plugin have nice punch I actually like it more then analog kick.One of the reasons I.dont.use.microtonic the sound its.anemic.I am tired polishing plugins.with plugins...maybe good drive saturation could be modelled.it have potential to be e really solid.drum synth machine.
Thanks. Both have on board compressors iirc. This said, over time, more presets and samples will be added. Tempest have a closed sample set afaics (it's one of the few drum machines I dont have hands on experience, because it's very pricey, and it appears that none of my friends got it either) But the included samples seem to have a good variety. Perhaps one interesting thing in StiX is to blend analog oscillators and a sample to make what people call the 'click' in units like the sonic academy kick generator. I didn't make enough kick drumpads using this technique in StiX v1.0. I'll explore more this, and the next version will hopefully see more variety in this domain, including ... more 'click' sample material. And more variety overall.

Examigan wrote:I haven't read through all 69 pages on here, but can StiX be configured with separate outs for each part of the kit?
Yes ( In full version, not CM one. And CM version doesn't do Midi output either, so no pattern midi exporting, or control of hw devices using StiX sequencer)

Dillinger wrote:I would like to see the preset listing redone, the subcategories are cool, I’m talking about the scrolling list being redone.

Thanks. The presret management will be enhanced. ( And for other Xils-Lab synths as well probably)

The preset management engine is very powerfull, but I identified three structural things that can be bettered (or need to be changed) :

1/ Endless lists that you have to painfully scroll thru : Sometimes the end of the list is way too far. On synths with presets number < 500, it's a concern but it can be managed. On StiX, where you can import hundreds of snares samples for example ( once the import function will work OK an all systems ....), it can become really impossible to select items.
2/ No multi selection possible. This makes for example multi tagging of 20 snares freshly imported a painfull task. So I have recommended that multi selection should be possible. It will also allow to make personal banks, projects banks, favorite banks etc much more easier.
3/ Many dropdown lists splitted in various areas of the UI, some partially, or possibly totally, duplicating the other ones. This makes code harder to maintain, while not offering more to user. It can be simplier, and easier imho.

An integrated preset manager would make Xils system the most powerfull of all. ( allowing for example custom tags, wich NI system doesnt allow, or multi selection, wich Omnisphere system doesnt allow) I have submitted a possible revamp of the system to Xils at the beginning of last year, embedded into a new synthesizer proposal. It can be adapted to StiX with few efforts. I'll post an image soon.

Anyway, the system will be changed, for StiX, and probably other units.

Dillinger wrote: Also sample import does not work reliably and the way they are stored once imported needs to be rethought (in my opinion of course).
It would be nice to just be able to point to a directory where you keep your samples and have them available from there.
Batch Sample Import will be fixed ( I think individual sample import is working for all systems since v1.1 but if some people have some problems, please post here or join Xils with the contact us utility of the site)

Way they are stored. I can't promise anything. The solution you propose was indeed the intitial one in StiX early beat versions (non public). For global preset integrity, due to the dependancies of the different preset types (global, kits, drumpads, etc), and to avoid users the 'samples xxx,xxx not found' infamous dialog boxes that most users of samplers know well, the system was changed. I'll agree it's sometimes a bit heavy. But it's safe. So we'll see if it can be made a bit more fluid, or to be precise if a part of it can be made more fluid, because the legacy will probably prevent to implement a totally different solution.

Return to “Instruments”